Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Overdraft gone???

Options
  • 15-02-2009 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

hey, so I have a current account with AIB and today I went to draw out money and was told I have insufficient funds. I have an overdraft of €1000 amount and I know I haven't used it all. So when I got home I checked my account online and it said that my balance was €500Dr which means I should have €500 left in my account, but I don't. I then tried to top up my mobile online and aain was told insufficient funds.

Does anyone know why this has happened and how do I sort it out???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭ttilting

Its either

a , A decreasing over draft. ie it reduces by X per month.

b , Your overdraft may have have a term ie 6 months. This is a big deal because you may have an unauthorised over draft, (-500) and yuo will be paying interest and fees.

c , They have decided to remove the overdraft . . . . I which case you march down there on monday and ask the manager to explain themselves. (I am a bank manager -not AIB-. . . this is not on ! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Happened to me on Friday they took my overdraft back,it was only temporary but when i wnt and asked them for it back.I didnt get it,i think its disgraceful esp now as they have the taxpayers money baill=ing thm out.I have no money whats so ever and i explained this and still nothing.I think i will ring and ask for an appointment with the bank manager and if im still not happy i think i may be moving banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

marti101 wrote: »
    Happened to me on Friday they took my overdraft back,it was only temporary but when i wnt and asked them for it back.I didnt get it,i think its disgraceful esp now as they have the taxpayers money baill=ing thm out.I have no money whats so ever and i explained this and still nothing.I think i will ring and ask for an appointment with the bank manager and if im still not happy i think i may be moving banks.

Please :rolleyes:. A bank just doesn't take your overdraft away without good reason. You either had none to start with or were messing about forcing credit.

stepbar wrote: »
    Please :rolleyes:. A bank just doesn't take your overdraft away without good reason. You either had none to start with or were messing about forcing credit.

I can assure you they do! . . (I work for a bank shhh tell no one)

Particularly when you dont have a set time for you OD . . .

Many people just have say a 3 month OD but it automatically reccuring at the press of a button. .

when things get tight , , we just dont renew and customer has to reaply . . . no guarantees.

ttilting wrote: »
    I can assure you they do! . . (I work for a bank shhh tell no one)

Particularly when you dont have a set time for you OD . . .

Many people just have say a 3 month OD but it automatically reccuring at the press of a button. .

when things get tight , , we just dont renew and customer has to reaply . . . no guarantees.

That's a temp. I'm talking about a person who has a permanent overdraft.

• Advertisement

stepbar wrote: »
    That's a temp. I'm talking about a person who has a permanent overdraft.

overdrafts have a maximum period of 1 year . . . . People assume they are permanent because they generally just automatically renew with the click of a mouse by a bank official. . . . when times are tight , , , the process is not as straight forward.

ttilting wrote: »
    overdrafts have a maximum period of 1 year . . . . People assume they are permanent because they generally just automatically renew with the click of a mouse by a bank official. . . . when times are tight , , , the process is not as straight forward.

Look I know the process. I was part of the process and still am. My point is that O/Ds aren't just taken away without reason. They usually are revoked because the customer hasn't achieved the necessary credit days, regularily excess the overdraft and are perhaps bouncing d/d & s/o's. The system will downgrade /upgrade a customer automatically most of the time anyhow before a human passes judgement at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Stepbar my hours where cut so i badly needed that overdraft nothing to do with living with in my means.Also im not long back in work as i was on maternity leave you try living on that money every week which is why i got the overdraft in the first place.I really cant see what kind of place cant extend a bit of credit when people need it.A bit of compassion goes a long way especially in these times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Macca07 wrote: »
    hey, so I have a current account with AIB and today I went to draw out money and was told I have insufficient funds. I have an overdraft of €1000 amount and I know I haven't used it all. So when I got home I checked my account online and it said that my balance was €500Dr which means I should have €500 left in my account, but I don't. I then tried to top up my mobile online and aain was told insufficient funds.

Does anyone know why this has happened and how do I sort it out???

Just to point out, this is a misunderstanding. You are 500.00 overdrawn, money you do not own, and do not still have 500.00 in your account. An overdraft is a loan, again, not money in your account.

I'd talk to the branch manager if I were you. There may be a reason your overdraft was not extended which you can address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

marti101 wrote: »
    Stepbar my hours where cut so i badly needed that overdraft nothing to do with living with in my means.Also im not long back in work as i was on maternity leave you try living on that money every week which is why i got the overdraft in the first place.I really cant see what kind of place cant extend a bit of credit when people need it.A bit of compassion goes a long way especially in these times.

If you are looking for compassion, a bank is the last place to go!

However, your personal circumstances are no concern to a bank. If you are living within your means you'd have no need for an overdraft. Within your means means not spending in excess of your income, whatever it may be. Remember, the bank is a business, not a charity, and *should* be run as one.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

nipplenuts wrote: »
    If you are looking for compassion, a bank is the last place to go!

You could try An Taoiseach - he's dishing out billions as compassion at the mo ;)

More seriously though the banks are going to be examining all lines of credit with a view to identifying risky ones.

They'll be in a hard place at the moment with folk saying that they should be more lenient now that we've bailed them out or that they shouldn't be flaithuileach now that we've bailed them out.

Advertisement