Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank charges on international cheques

Options
  • 15-02-2009 11:25am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I received a cheque, drawn from an Irish bank, for 1000 euros and lodged it in my French bank. I just looked at my statement and the cheque is listed but only for a value of €982. Who is likely to have taken the remaining €18, the Irish or French bank and by what right? There's no separate listing of a bank charge on my statement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most likely your French bank. A Euro cheque isn't good across every country that accepts the Euro. To all intents and purposes, it's still a "foreign" cheque outside of Ireland.

I suggest you contact your bank in France and ask for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Contact the bank in ireland
    i know that if a foriegn cheq is lodged the commission is cleared. When lodge foriegn euro the commission is quite high 25e or something.The 1000e should have been lodged as is. But will still take the 21days to clear it

Advertisement