Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a tripod?

• 15-02-2009 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Hi, Can anyone here recommend me a good tripod for under €100. I need something that can be folded into a compact size for carrying around and is not very heavy...

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I got a cheapo one @ Argos (around 30 quid), nottin too fancy, bit of turning in the set up but fine nontheless... I just got it as a "try out" one before even thinking fancy ones...

I my search for a cheapo one, did notice they have a deal @ DiD Electrical, €99 for Tripod, bag and remote control, not too bad.

Good luck in ur seach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Thanks for that guys. I might go into the stores around town tomorrow to try out the tripods there and see which one suits me best...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If you can stretch your budget by 30 euro you can get a slick 500 pro in the dublin camera exchange. Good tripod and head and decent build quality too.

Cheers, i'll look out for that one... But as i'm just starting out, at this stage, i really don't wanna spend a lot and keep the budgets to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread . . . .

But I want to buy the tripod below:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Hama/Hama-Star-63-Tripod

I'm on a tight budget, and this seems perfect as I don't think I will use it that much.

But when I try to buy it I get an error telling me that I can't get it shipped to my location (Ireland) because it weighs to much, and it tells me that I should break up my order (even though its only one thing I am ordering), I emailed them an they never replied.

So what do I do, this happened to anyone before??? What happened???

• Registered Users Posts: 42 enzyme

I have always used manfrotto. You can't fault them. When buying it's the tripod head which can really push up the price. If money is tight than get a good solid tripod and you can always get a better head in the future.

Sorry forgot to mention, I don't know if you are in Dublin but if you are Conns cameras do a good range. I wouldn't buy online because the weight of the tripod pumps up the shipping and will probably cancel out the cheaper price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Today i went into town to check out some stores for the tripods.

I was looking mainly at the manfrotto ones as they seem to be the lightest so should be quite convienient to carry around.
    But they all seem pretty expensive. Like the one i saw in conns (don't remember the model number) was like €200 (he said he didn't have the smaller cheaper one for €140 that could handle a SLR).
    Then i saw this pretty small manfrotto one in Camera Center for €100 but it said it could only carry around 1kg which i'm not sure would be suitable for my SLR as i think it could topple over and send my SLR into doom.

So well, i think i can stretch my budget to €150 as i won't be buying tripods often but i need something lightweight and sturdy enough to carry my SLR and a telephoto lens.

So what do you guys think i should look for and where could i get it in dublin in my bugdet.
    I'll probably be heading down to Gunne's tomorrow to see what they've got...

I'll look up that slick one too tomorrow which landyman mentioned...

• Advertisement

I would always buy manfrotto over say slik or velbon. I've been using them for 20 years. A good steady tripod is vital for slow shutter speed shots. Gitzo are very good too. On windy days a good strong tripod will make all the difference, never mind at night. Checked Halls. and they are selling the MANFROTTO TRIPOD 190XDB for €129. It and can take up to 5kg (checked specs). Don't know what Halls are like. Never shopped there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,509 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Then i saw this pretty small manfrotto one in Camera Center for €100 but it said it could only carry around 1kg which i'm not sure would be suitable for my SLR as i think it could topple over and send my SLR into doom.

You'd need to check the spec. sheets for your gear to work out the maximum load you're likely to mount on a tripod and err on the safe side and assume you've purchased the heaviest lens you're likely to stick on your camera in the next couple of years. Here's a guide that I'm using (I haven't invested in the lens yet) and by the way I'm very interested in your feedback on tripod shopping so please keep posting..

Nikon D90 (620g) + 70-300mm VR (745g) + SB600 (300g) plus the batteries (EN-EL3e + 4 x AA) weighs 1.745 kgs so if I was you I'd be looking at something that was rated at 3kgs or better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

what's the story with Gitzo? it has good reviews but all said is about manfrotto
    is it that some people only talks about a few brands and ignore the rest even if they are good? it reminds me of the discussions over camera's makers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

quilmore wrote: »
    what's the story with Gitzo? it has good reviews but all said is about manfrotto
    is it that some people only talks about a few brands and ignore the rest even if they are good? it reminds me of the discussions over camera's makers

Most of the discussion here is about manfrotto because they seem to make the best cameras at around the price people here are willing to pay. Gitzo make pretty good tripods, but they're geared toward the pro end of the market and the price reflects that. The market is flooded with crap, so most peoples first experience with a decent tripod is their first Manfrotto :-)

Look that's just not true. Just because I use Hasselblad cameras, Hasselblad lenses, Hasselblad key rings, Hasselblad underpants, and Hasselblad pour Homme does not mean that I like other cameras too. Now where did I put my Hasselblad inflatable ah camera.

enzyme wrote: »
    I would always buy manfrotto over say slik or velbon. I've been using them for 20 years. A good steady tripod is vital for slow shutter speed shots. Gitzo are very good too. On windy days a good strong tripod will make all the difference, never mind at night. Checked Halls. and they are selling the MANFROTTO TRIPOD 190XDB for €129. It and can take up to 5kg (checked specs). Don't know what Halls are like. Never shopped there.

Cheers, i'll check out that place and that tripod tomorrow. Seems like a good tripod and i think 5kg is decent capacity for what i'ld be using. I doubt my rig is barely gonna exceed 2kgs! I plan on buying the Canon EF 70-200 L lens someday so i think that's gonna be heaviest i'm gonna go for atleast the next couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Cheers, i'll check out that place and that tripod tomorrow. Seems like a good tripod and i think 5kg is decent capacity for what i'ld be using. I doubt my rig is barely gonna exceed 2kgs! I plan on buying the Canon EF 70-200 L lens someday so i think that's gonna be heaviest i'm gonna go for atleast the next couple of years.

That price (that enzyme quotes above) is very probably just for the legs. Plan on adding at least another €50 for the head depending on what halls have in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Hope I'm not hijacking this thread . . . .

But I want to buy the tripod below:

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Tripods/Hama/Hama-Star-63-Tripod

I'm on a tight budget, and this seems perfect as I don't think I will use it that much.

But when I try to buy it I get an error telling me that I can't get it shipped to my location (Ireland) because it weighs to much, and it tells me that I should break up my order (even though its only one thing I am ordering), I emailed them an they never replied.

So what do I do, this happened to anyone before??? What happened???
    I have that excact same tripod
    i got it in argos for 50 euro two years ago.
    while its fine for what it does ,i have seen a lot better ones in camera shops recently( a bit more robust etc) but at that price it is tempting
    i suspose it comes down to how often you are going to be using it.

I have that excact same tripod
    i got it in argos for 50 euro two years ago.
    while its fine for what it does ,i have seen a lot better ones in camera shops recently( a bit more robust etc) but at that price it is tempting
    i suspose it comes down to how often you are going to be using it.

Thank you very much for your comment, no I wouldn't be using it too much, and anyway if I end up needing a better one then I wouldn't look back on buying a cheaper one as it would just be to get me started you know.

Anyway they got back to me and said that they just don't deliver to Ireland due to the weight, which is understandable, but I thought free delivery meant free delivery but obviously not, saying that I have always been very happy with this company up to now and it wouldn't put me off purchasing other products from them.

I was looking at one or two other ones, this one seems like a copy of a manfrotto:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105232

Or this one that is similar to the one I was talking about earlier:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=99654

Anyway I just got to check out delivery costs and get ordering.

Has anyone seen or heard of the new all in one Manfrotto 7301YB tripod i.e. is it on sale in Ireland yet or has anyone seen any UK retailer who'll ship them to 'Eire' for a reasonable price?

This crowd has it for sale but are looking for £69.50 to ship UPS to outside the UK.....

http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/manfrotto-tripods/7301YB.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭cooligPhoto

mcgowaner wrote: »
    I was looking at one or two other ones, this one seems like a copy of a manfrotto:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=105232

Or this one that is similar to the one I was talking about earlier:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=99654

Anyway I just got to check out delivery costs and get ordering.

Just looked at these two. The second one is ok but they won't post to Southern Ireland.

The first one - look at the specs... Maximum Height: 1050mm (1 metre) ok if you're four foot tall. Load capacity 1.5kg - no good at all.

I use a Giottos tripod and Manfrotto monopod. The Giottos is extremely sturdy and cost less than €100 (I think I bought it in Blanchardstown SC).

You really need to check them out before you buy - test the splay of the legs when you put some pressure on the head when fully erected. See how the centre column tightens up (it's pointless having a spirit level in some when the tightening screw for the centre column pushes the head off centre).

BTW one thing that's really important for me is the ability to have complete control over leg movements (not mine). Really usefull for very uneven surfaces and low shots. The cheaper tripods have thoes restraint ies (or what ever they are called) which tie the base of the legs back to the neck of the trpod. Sorry I just released I am lacking in tripod terminology :)

Thanks everyone.

I finally got my first tripod from Gunne's yesterday.
    I got the Manfrotto 190xpro one with a really cheap manfrotto head. It came upto €160 (tripod €130, head €30) but i'm happy about it as a good tripod, its small enough to fit in my college locker and light enough to easily carry around.
    The head is really small and basic ball head. But will do for now...

So now i've atleast got the tripod to get a start at working on my "Studio"!

That's great, can you pls confirm the tripod model, was it a 190XPROB and can you give us the head model please.

Yup, pretty sure its the 190xpro (don't have the tripod currently with me, but 90% sure thats the one i got).
    And the head is the 482 microball head. Its pretty basic and tiny...!

Its this tripod: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/off/pid/13145?livid=68|69&idx=71
    with this head: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/cache/offonce/pid/2289?livid=80&lsf=80&child=2

This tripod purchasing is turning out to be much harder than I ever expected, I've been looking/researching for longer than I did to buy my camera in the first place.

Anyhow, anyone with any suggestions on a website or any other place where I could get a cheap/crappy tripod? (Bearing in mind I have exhausted eBay, mymemory, 7dayshop and a few others)

Now I know that "you get what you pay for" and all that, but that's not a problem in my circumstances, so any further help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Just had a trip to the Dub Camera Exchange. Picked up a slick 400dx for €99. They also have the slik 500 for €99 (the 400 suits me a bit better as its lighter).

Advertisement