Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving from Darwin to Ayers Rock?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be arriving in Darwin towards the end of June and am considering driving from Darwin to Ayers Rock. Has anybody done this and if so how long did it take? Are there many sights/stop off's along the way?

Whilst I have my trip planned before I hit Oz (Asia etc) what I plan on doing when I arrive in Oz is a bit hazy but am definitley interested in renting a campervan/car and driving for a few weeks.

Any tips appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Hi

I did that trip in April last year. I wouldn’t say it’s the most exciting stretch of road in the country but I reckon theres probably enough places along the road to keep you interested.

What I’d suggest is spending 2 or 3 days in Kakadu National Park. Didn’t get to see much there myself because most of the roads in the park were still flooded after the rainy season.

On from there is the the town of Katherine. Good spot for loading up on supplies and Katherine gorge isn’t too far out of the town.

Next town on from that is Mataranka which has some unusual hot springs. Worth a swim or at least a look anyway.

Next I’d highly recommend spending the night at Daly Waters Pub. It has basic camping and motel facilities but the pub has to be seen to believed! Great spot to take a breather.

Not much after that until Tennant Creek. Hasn’t really got much going for it except for fuel.

After that theres the Devils Marbles and on down to Alice Springs. I reckon 1 or 2 days would be enough here. Has the Flyiong doctors visitor centre and the School of Air if you’re interested in that kinda thing. Not a bad town though compared to a lot of the northern outback towns.

The road out west of Alice goes out along the West MacDonnell Ranges. Definitely recommend spending a day having a look around there.

After Alice it’d take about a day to get to Kings Canyon.

Then another couple of hours down to Uluru.

Anyway hope that was of some help to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

can only really comment on the more nothern areas as I didnt go the full way down to Uluru...but I would definitely reccomend, Katherine Gorge, Litchfield Park, Mataranka and stopping off at the Marbles...Its pretty much a straight line from Darwin down anyway so you will be passing these places...Mataranka at dusk is craxy for watching all the flying foxes leaving for the night and the Devils Marbles are pretty crazy...

Check out a few photos

Litchfield

Katherine Gorge

Mataranka

Devils Marbles

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Thanks for the replies guys still not sure what the plan is. I know I definitley want to see Ayers Rock and definitley want to rent/buy a campervan/car and drive for a couple of weeks (preferably before the money runs out) just not sure where to drive to, a few friends of mine have driven from Darwin down to Perth so that is also an option. Just have to decide which to do now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i wll be sel,ling a volkswagen transporter converted into a camper all accessories included featuring a 12 man tent for extra comfort

Advertisement