Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backtrack

• 15-02-2009 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello,
    I'll start by saying i'm fairly inexperienced with linux :P
    I'm wondering whether to install backtrack to my laptop hard drive or keep it on a live cd. Also, if I do install it, should I have just backtrack or dual boot with xp?
    I know it could be up to personal preference, but I'm not sure. Is it worth installing to hdd by itself?
    And i know backtrack is fairly advanced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Welcome to the dark side :pac:

BackTrack isn't exactly the most user-friendly Linux distro to start out with. If you just want it for the naughty utilities, you could easily install them under another distro, such as Fedora, Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, the list goes on.

A dual-boot is a good way to try out a Linux distro (or virtualisation, provided you have a beefy processor, hard drive space and loads of RAM).

Be sure to back up any critical files/documents before installing. Things can go wrong, even if only occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

Hey, thanks for the reply.
    Good point with the tools. I could just install them separately. It was just so tempting! All those tools... Organised... In separate folders!!! :eek:

I've broken free of the infatuation and will be installing... maybe Debian shortly. I was thinking if there's OSes like Ubuntu based on it, why not just go for it.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

No problem :)

The only problem, if I recall correctly, is that you'll need to have a proper driver for your wireless card. Last time I read into this chicanery, you couldn't use the Windows driver under ndiswrapper (which you do if the kernel doesn't support it natively) as the card couldn't be put into scanning mode. Perhaps things have changed since. Just something to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

ethernet wrote: »
    No problem :)

The only problem, if I recall correctly, is that you'll need to have a proper driver for your wireless card. Last time I read into this chicanery, you couldn't use the Windows driver under ndiswrapper (which you do if the kernel doesn't support it natively) as the card couldn't be put into scanning mode. Perhaps things have changed since. Just something to look out for.

Great, will look out for that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

If you have a 1GB USB key lying around you can very easily install Backtrack 3 (and probably 4 BETA which is now available) and it's very quick compared to a Live CD.

Check out this page for how to do different things with version 4: http://wiki.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Howto-bt4

• Advertisement
Advertisement