Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SHOCK - STUNNED AND SUPRISED

• 15-02-2009 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭

Well a little background - I'm nearly 41, have 4 kids 17,15,11 and 8. Went to the doctor last friday (had gained unexplained weight).

I have the Mirena for the last 18 months (this is my second) - imagine my suprise when he informed me I am 20 weeks pregnant. I'm still trying to get my head around it. He sent me for an emergency scan and sure enough there it was, head - arms - legs and all.

WOW, even looking at it in print here is still shocking me, but what a lovely suprise to have - half way through a pregnancy I knew nothing about :confused::D:confused::D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Wow RAFC,

Less than 1 in 100 women who have the Mirena Coil get fitted will get pregnant whilst the device is in place - that is one special baby you've got there!

Congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Thanks embee, still trying to get over shock of it - you should have seen the faces of the Doctor, and the midwife doing the scan - she too has the Mirena.

You are right though, it's one little miracle growing inside me now, against all the odds :D

Just did a bit of a search on the chances - apparantly 1 in 1000 WOW :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Wow RAFC I really hope all goes well for you from here on in, I am preg for the first time in wk 12, we had just started trying and six weeks later bingo...I was still really shocked when I got result even though I had no good reason to be!!... so I can't even begin to imagine how shocked you are!!
    On the plus side at least you're 20 weeks in already :D
    Keep us up to date on how things go and best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Congratulations!! I'll say you're shocked. How are your family taking the news?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What a wonderful surprise!
    Is the mirena still in there, or did it fall out somehow? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I am not familiar with that stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

wow :eek: Congratulations.. what a surprise! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

omg :eek: congratulations :D

Lucky you, half way through already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Thats amazing!! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Serafina27

Congratulations on your surprise pregnancy! But I do have a query, yours is the 4th incident I now know of with women getting pregant on the coil since I enquired about the Mirena Coil in October last year. Is the 1-100 stat been verified in any recent study does anyone know???:confused:

Thanks for all the congrats everyone - will try to answer all questions.

Mrs T - family as shocked as I was, but kids thrilled. Was stunned at the positive reaction from the older 2 (not everyday they have to think of parents still 'doing it' :D)

silja - Mirena still there somewhere, they said it could be delivered in the placenta, if not they will find it by xray after delivery.

Serafina27 - was at the clinic today, and was told the chances are 1 in 500.

Had my first clinic visit today (4 hours - thought I was finished with it all :)) and all well, baby fine (still can't believe it). I must just go for another scan in a fortnight to make sure the due date given by last friday's scan is right, at the moment I'm due on July 9th
    :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Well Congrats! My mom was pregnant with me at 44. She went to the doctor because she thought she was "going thru the change".Along I came!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

I found out on January 2nd I was pregnant with my little wonder baby!! I ahd been busy with work doing a lot of fitness training and luckily not drinking, wasnt feeling great around Christmasbut imagine my surprise to find out I was pregnant with a perfectly healthy little baby, due now April 11th, even with no morning sickness, no obvious symptoms and a flat stomach!! Even now Im very neat but thrilled to have this little life inside me.
    Surprise pregnancy but such a joy!! :)

Congrats C-J, when are you due?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Congratulations! :) I'm very happy for you AS YOUR ARE SO POSITIVE ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY!

God haven't logged on for ages - 9 weeks and 3 days to go, but who is counting.

Just a quick note to say all going well -nearly on the home straight now.

A lot of people are asking me what I'm having, and when will I find out, my answer is I'll find out when baby is born............am I too old fashioned????????? Does everyone find out now before baby is born????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Hi RAFC

Congrats on your news, delighted for ya!!!!!!!!

I too have 4 children 15, 12, 10 and 7.
    Me and the hubby made the decision to remove the coil about 3 years ago to prevent any little shocks like you had.
    I would have been fine if it had happened to me but went ahead with the vasectomy anyway, but sometimes I do regret it a little bit, just a little bit......
    Fair play to your wonderful attitude and keep us posted
    Best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

RAFC wrote: »

A lot of people are asking me what I'm having, and when will I find out, my answer is I'll find out when baby is born............am I too old fashioned????????? Does everyone find out now before baby is born????????????

I was hovering between finding out and letting it be a surprise for ages... decided on the surprise! Your not alone!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Hi RAFC,

Who is counting? ME!!! I'm due on the 8th of July. I can't believe it's only 9 weeks and 4 days away! So we're at exactly the same stage. :)
    Your story is so funny. Those are some odds.

I'm the same as you, I will wait until baby is born to find out what it is. I have two girls already and the eldest wants a brother, but either way I'll be happy. I love the surprise . This must seem like the shortest pregnancy ever for you!!! Hope you are kee[ping well. I'm a bit tired but my youngest is only 18 months so no time to think about it really.

Roll on July!

Oh God, I don't know if I'm ready for it yet - it's now only 7 weeks and 3 days (4hrs, 32 mins) still not counting thought :D....

Had a scan last week and had 3 of the 4 with me, my youngest thought baby looked like a ghost, so everyone is now calling baby 'casper' - hope it doesn't stick :D:D:D:D

Quite tired now alright, still have to run about with the others, school, matches, training - they all still go on and my youngest is making his First Holy Communion in 2 weeks so it's kind of hectic at the moment, but we'll get there (we have to - can't stop it now :D:D:D:D)

Hope all goes well for you beth-lou, can't be easy running around after a toddler at this stage now, make sure he does his fair share so you can get your feet up :)

How did you know you were pregnant other than unexplained weight? Do you have symptoms other than that when you have the mirena?

• Advertisement

Had no symptoms at all - thought mirena was causing weight so asked doc to take it out - he did test as routine and was as shocked as I was at the positive result.......:)

6 weeks to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Hope it goers really well for you RAFC. You sound like you still have bundles of energy.

Not sure about the energy thing, but now down to 2 weeks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

13 days today!!!! Woo hoo! Is the heat killing you? I am finding it really hard in the heat, as glorious as it is. I'm so glad to see the finish line though. I still have to pack my hospital bag. Did you find you became less organised with each pregnancy? Finish work tomorrow and then I can relax.:)

Organised????? What is that? Packed my bag this morning, considering I have a whole week left I think that is being organised alright :D - The heat is a killer, mainly because it's just heat and no sun, the sun I could cope with.....my biggest problem at the moment is that I have a great colour, but it's only one-sided - my back is white and I can't roll over haha..........

How about you Beth-Lou? How are you coping? Best of luck incase I'm not on again until after the event:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Lol RAFC:)

I hope all goes well for you:)

I do like the ideas of having live in baby sitters.

Oh yeah, that has got to be a real bonus - and the fact that I have asked them both to be God-parents helps too, they now have even more responsibility than just plain old brother and sister :D:D:D:D:D - seriously though, they can't wait.

I have to admit to being rather nervous though, it has been eighteen years since my first and nine years since my last, and the 'age' issue has me freaking out :( - but we'll try not to dwell on that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congrats, that was a suprise alright, well they do say life begins at 40 :D

Good luck with the impending deliveries ladies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sos33

god bless your partners sperm they must of had there supermen capes on :D:D:Dbest of luck

• Advertisement

Well deisemum I think it's supposed to be MY life that begins at 40 NOT another one :D:D:D:D

sos33 I'm convinced he has men of steel - no holding them back................

Well due today, and no sign.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭**Caroline**

Hi RAFC,

I was just having a little read of your thread there...

Firstly, just wanted to say a VERY belated congratulations to you lol.. :) (better late than never:rolleyes:). What an unexpected and LOVELY surprise to get :-)
    You must be so excited at this point, being due TODAY! :D Fingers crossed he/she won't keep you in suspense for too much longer!
    Best of luck with the labour and birth - hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you ;) And I'll look forward to reading an update very soon about your bundle of joy!!

Best wishes :)

xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Hope all is well, cant wait to see what you had :)

Thanks folks.....I'm still waiting though..............:D The only one of the other kids that kept me waiting hasn't stopped running rings around me since he was born :D:D:D:D I hope that's not the usual - he nearly killed me and I am 9 years older now........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

good luck- hope all goes well! :)

Just to update - It's a boy, born Friday night 17/07 10.43pm 8lb 8oz................. absolutely perfect Thank God. All well :D

ps - he's handsome :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

I just read your whole thread....I was dieing to see if you had, had your baby yet and you have!! Let me be the first to say CONGRATS!! Awwww

You should post a pic of him, whats his name?
    xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Just to update - It's a boy, born Friday night 17/07 10.43pm 8lb 8oz................. absolutely perfect Thank God. All well :D

ps - he's handsome :):):)

congratulations delighted for you, enjoy him now and take care :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

Congrats

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Congratulations missus. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

congratulations! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

Ah that's great news, a BIG congrats RAFC, I've been following your thread. You must be so relieved and thrilled!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Kdylass

congratulations - I have just read your thread and I am sitting here crying with delight for you all. Its brilliant to hear a heartwarming story like this. Take things easy for yourself and enjoy every second.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Aaaawww congrats!! That's great news. Hope you and baby are doing well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

Congratulations!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations! Hope to hear an update on yourself and your little bundle of joy soon! What did you name him?

Advertisement