Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

debtcollector-.THE VIPER

• 15-02-2009 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭

reading todays newspaper and read about that oil-man who hired foley to collect his long outstanding debts..... i think he was right...:eek:...why should people be let get away owing that sort of money yo anyone ?if his business was suffering what other options were open to him?why didnt that reporter interview the people who owed him that money? if all other approaches fail then what other choice was there? foley may be a crimial but hes not breaking the law ,running a debt collection . funny or what.:):)how does the law permit such a man as foley to set up a business in the first place? why is there not a law to speedily recover such debts to family run business ? ANY OPINIONS.....not related in any way to oilman ,and i think paul williams is an interesting reporter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Here is the link for it in the Carlow Nationalist

http://www.carlow-nationalist.ie/news/story/?trs=mhojeyqlgb&cat=news

I didn't know who the business man was but i agree with him his hiring of the Viper.

it is very ironic that the viper is now a vat registered and tax paying member of our society. And you can be damn well sure that he is paying everything he ought to be paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i am not a solicitor or anything like that but could someone with a violent criminal history collecting bad debts be seen to be demanding money with menaces if the people they were collecting debts from were aware of their violent history? surely they would feel under a threat of violence if they were unwilling or unable to settle such debts?

i think anyone with any criminal conviction but especially a conviction for crimes involving violence should be prevented from doing this sort of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

foggy_lad wrote: »
    i am not a solicitor or anything like that but could someone with a violent criminal history collecting bad debts be seen to be demanding money with menaces if the people they were collecting debts from were aware of their violent history? surely they would feel under a threat of violence if they were unwilling or unable to settle such debts?

i think anyone with any criminal conviction but especially a conviction for crimes involving violence should be prevented from doing this sort of work.

I would imagine that that's the very point, and it works quite well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

testicle wrote: »
    I would imagine that that's the very point, and it works quite well...

again me not being a solicitor i would have thought demanding money with such menaces to be unlawful? should this be allowed? definately not imo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

again me not being a solicitor i would have thought demanding money with such menaces to be unlawful? should this be allowed? definately not imo

So ex-cons cant go back to work in case they freak people out due to them being ex-cons?! His job is fully legit and has an added advantage that he is no push over. A debt collector needs to be firm and not easily moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

But there are plenty of people out there who will run up a bill, and refuse to pay you no matter what means of persuasion you use.

For these people, I have no pity whatsoever as they can cause businesses to close and leave people unemployed.

In many cases these types have the ability to pay quite easily but they prefer to try & con their way out of it, they then let you take them to court and amazingly the payment appears on the steps of the court.

I could name three such people (well off types too!) from personal experience, but I won't. - It took 18 months to get the payment & cost nearly 40% of what was collected.

Bring on the viper & his like for all such people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

He doesn't need to be menacing, he just needs to use his name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I think if the Viper was doing anything illegal, this debt collection business has gotten so much attention in the last few weeks that the gardai would have been on him like a ton of bricks.

I think these business men who won't pay their debts are using "reverse PR" to get out of paying their way again. People that don't pay their bills are damaging other businesses. They are well able to pay when the frighteners are put on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

darc wrote: »
    But there are plenty of people out there who will run up a bill, and refuse to pay you no matter what means of persuasion you use.

I agree. There are people who knowingly wrote cheques that bounce,
    with no intention of every paying back their debts, no matter how well their business is doing. They try to wiggle out of it by whatever means available.
    This behaviour can force a family business of 38-years, to close down.
    Having listened to Noel on Liveline I have to say I'm behind him.

Also I don't like Paul Williams sensationalist headlines:
    "We unmask the snake who hired viper..." Grow up Paul !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

me man was right to hire that viper fella. Why not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

He was dead right, when people don't pay their bills it puts pressure on companies because think about it. The company offers you a produce. They all have suppliers for their produce who must be paid too. The companies awaiting payments from customers are put under pressure from their suppliers to pay up and they cant and hence companies go into liquidation or consequently shut down.

I don't think this would have even been posted if the viper wasn't an ex-con. We all know debt collectors out there who have no convictions. It only seems to be because of his past that this is being brought to light here. We have all worked in companies who hire debt collectors to bring in those who are forfeiting their bills.

So the only difference here is that this man is an ex-con. He is running a legit business now. He has repaid his debt to society.*(sorry couldn't passs up the opportunity for a pun.)So let's all stop being petty and focusing on this mans past and construct the topic on how people are refusing to pay their bills in this recession and its hard times and how their lack of payment has consequent effects on local businesses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

by all accounts he voice records all "transactions"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

i like other posters think he was right to hire a debt collector why should he let his oil co and years of hard work go to the wall along with all the jobs as you all very well know the courts in ireland are a joke if you are owed money by some messer he gets away with a few euros a week he or she will have their books cooked before the court it will cost more to collect the debt than you are owed i have been through this farce i have ordered heating oil and road diesel at another oil company l and was never hasseled for payement i am in no way connected with the family but it made my blood boil this gutter press calling any man or woman a snake trying to get his money those people were glad to take delivery of his oil and must have known the werent going to be able to pay why didnt sunday world reporter call on them and ask them why the took the oil those people dont care who the cheat and are probably getting oil from some other oil co as we speak i know there are many people loseing their jobs and cant pay i feel very sorry for them and i hope you read this we are behind you :mad::mad::mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I'd be considering a defamation case if I were him.
    To employ the services of a debt collecting agency is common practice in business today.
    This case is apparantly different becase the debt collector is an ex-con.
    And this somehow makes him a 'snake'. He hasn't done anything wrong.
    It's Paul Williams out for a cheap buck again.

It's all too common practice today for people to get things on credit with no intention of ever paying.
    I know a businessman down the road from him, who got laughed at over the phone when he enquired when a debt was going to be paid.
    This is the problem and needs to be addressed by our flawed legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Lads i know it seems trivial but can we all refrain from using the people's names who are relative to this topic. The topic itself about debt collectors is a great topic but this isn't a boards.ie isn't a place to discuss the private matters of other people.Let the newspapers do that. Lets keep it PC.:)

Thanks for your help.Patrick has already removed most of the names in the posts.

Mods:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ScamAtak

This is an old thread but I see the Viper is still in the business of debt collecting which is good. He was in the press last year 2020 when his firm were trying to collect 100k for somone

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Please don’t drag up zombie threads .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement