Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciaran Cannon to Join Labour ?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

According to the Sunday Tribune Cannon's deal to join the Labour Party is a done deal.

An interesting change in direction for the former PD leader

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Symbolic of how values are as far from Irish politics as they could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Possibly gives him a chance of getting elected in Galway East, at the expense of FF . FG seems to be a closed shop for the present , 2 successful candidates and some strong potential candidates waiting on the wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

We'll see alot more of Labour poaching politicians so they can capitalise on their popularity in the coming elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Labour have been a party of the middle classes for years now so this isn't too surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭VO

Cairan Cannon going to Labour - What a catch, FF & FG must be quaking in their boots at the thought of having to face this lightweight in the next elections

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

VO wrote: »
    Cairan Cannon going to Labour - What a catch, FF & FG must be quaking in their boots at the thought of having to face this lightweight in the next elections

FF will;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭VO

galwayrush wrote: »
    FF will;)

Yeah but at the moment Jack the RIpper would get more votes than Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

The only reason Cannon won't join FF is because he wouldn't have any chance of getting on their ticket, simple as that.

It doesn't say much for his principles though if he's willing to go from PD to Labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

22% of the population isn't insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jimbo78 wrote: »
    22% of the population isn't insignificant.

I think that FF consider that 99.99% of the population is insignificant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

It doesn't say much for his principles though if he's willing to go from PD to Labour.
    Tbh its not that big a change.

Economically, Labour and the PDs were fairly far apart (although not as much as some try and make out), but in most other aspects were fairly close. Alot of ex-PDs have gone to Labour in recent times, particularly alot of the social liberals and economic moderates.

Cannon was (before the final collapse) heading towards making the PDs much more of a liberal party, so this isn't a huge turn around. He certainly isn't the first PD they've welcomed into their ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Argh I hope this is because he agrees with Labour's policies, rather than taking advantage of their current popularity.
    Tho as the previous post stated, Labour are the most socially liberal, but they have no similarities to the PD's when it comes to the economy...thank fcuk!

Tbh, there wasn't much difference in their economic policies during the boom, Labour just used social-democratic rhetoric.

But I don't think anyone believed Labour really wanted to cut taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Tbh, there wasn't much difference in their economic policies during the boom, Labour just used social-democratic rhetoric.

Nail, head.

nesf wrote: »
    Nail, head.
    You could have thanked me.

You never thank me these days.:(

You just quote me, then roll over and go to sleep.:(

You could have thanked me.

You never thank me these days.:(

You just quote me, then roll over and go to sleep.:(

Ah but a thanks lacks the personal touch. See, I do care! :p

My mother warned me about posters like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

any other councillors of party officials gone pd to labour?

any other councillors of party officials gone pd to labour?
    of = or?

At least one councillor (maybe two, I'm not sure) went, and a good lot of members.

At least one councillor (maybe two, I'm not sure) went, and a good lot of members.

It pretty much comes down to whether being socially liberal or economically conservative is more important to you tbh.

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    It pretty much comes down to whether being socially liberal or economically conservative is more important to you tbh.
    IMO economic conservatism is trade barriers and tariffs.
    Economic liberalism is free trade, which was the province of the socially liberal until the conservatives filched it.

Economic liberalism is free trade, which was the province of the socially liberal until the conservatives filched it.

True, being lazy with my terms there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I hate being called a "Neo-con" or a conservative by friends who would be politically active.

You have hit the nail on the head Minister. Free Trade, enabling spending, low taxation, and stimulation of personal business acumen is the epitomy of economic liberalism, as it is offing citizens as much latitude as one can to allow people create jobs, and stimulate the economy.

I have always maintained that "Conservative" = The Status Quo. When Labour speak of Bank Nationalisation, and Sinn Fein speak of re-nationalising the telecommunications industry, is that not conservative in itself ? It is also limiting economic potential to what the government can make of it.

Im not 100% shocked at Ciaran's reported decision. He was a PD economically, but he had a Labour Party view of Social Matters. Remember, in Pat Rabbitte's last year as leader, he equally offered tax reduction in an attempt to go with the flow. The Labour Party are currently very different to the De Rossa (of the 1980s) and Labour Youths of this world. They are "New Labour Ireland"

Het-Field wrote: »
    I hate being called a "Neo-con" or a conservative by friends who would be politically active.

Surely any poltically active friend would know that Neo-cons would be a very poor description of the PDs, you know with the whole lack of social conservatism and all that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the opposite of nationalisation is berscolloni(sP?)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Seems a lot of people here are willing to believe what they read in the papers. My advice? Don't, unless it's being reported consistently in different newspapers on multiple days. In the case of this story, it has only been published in one paper, on one day.

Ciaran Cannon has not contacted his local Galway Labour organisation - and he has not contacted Labour HQ in Dublin either.
    If he had contacted them, a process would have to be put in place, as he is a member of the Oireachtas of a still-registered political party.

Ciaran Cannon is not a member of the Labour Party.

Advertisement