Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

undergrad wants to do project on computer in ucd. where?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Where can an undergrad have a decent chance of getting access to a computer to do a project around 2 to 4 in the afternoon? Access to word essential.

P.S Unwilling to queue :cool:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Depending on the day, Newstead can be a good place to do computer work. Two big computer rooms, upstairs and downstairs. They do get used for labs at least 2 days a week, but if you're quiet and there are enough machines free, they might not mind.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

it will be tuesday and thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Don't go to the arts block, worst place to do work in, you should give the planning building in Richview (it's the red building on your right as you walk to richview from Newstead, near Clonskeagh) a try, the computers are up stairs down a long corridor, it's pretty quiet all the time, there might be be a few planners knocking about with their development plans but other than that it's a top notch spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Plenty of computers in engineering. If there are no labs on then you can stay there as long as you like.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Not trying to be a twat but with the way things are going you'd be well advised to equip yourself with a laptop of some description.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is Daedalus too obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Yes:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

http://whatsfree.ucd.ie/public/public_stats.jsp

for future reference, it's updated automatically when people log on.

I agree with the advice about Engineering & Richview too - with the caveat that there have been times when I've been unable to find a computer in Engineering, since some classes fill that mid-sized room - plus the side room - to the rafters. Health Sciences (1st floor) too: I've been kicked out of there for classes on several occasions.

If there's an overall theme here, it is: get away from the central locations around Arts, Daedalus, and the Library. Most undergraduates at UCD are doing Arts, and rarely venture beyond that area. Health Sciences and Engineering are somewhere in-between, and the Science and Ag. Science rooms are small, but you might get lucky in those locations. If you really want to escape the crush, I still say that means Newstead or Richview are the best options. Especially when exams are approaching - if you think it's bad now, just wait a couple of months... :eek:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Not trying to be a jerk, but if you're going to be studying on the computer for two hours is a 5 minute wait for a seat unreasonable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Notorious wrote: »
    is a 5 minute wait for a seat unreasonable?

it is an inconvenience i can well do without :D but to answer your question, no it's not unreasonable at all but i am rarely a man of reason :)

It's not just about waiting for a seat. If a computer room is busy enough to have a queue, you should not try to hog one of those computers for two hours non-stop. If you do, you're causing longer waits for others.

(Do I have to explain basic courtesy to people? You can lead by example, and "But everyone else is on Facebook!" is no excuse. ;) )

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The computer room in Roebuck is both peaceful and I have never seen it busy

Advertisement