Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attempted child abduction???

Options
  • 15-02-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭

Dint know if I spent that right.Anyway, Im very very concerned , I got a call from my mam, who tld me a car with 4 men in it tried to take a child , in Rush.
    Then, I read the paper today and read about 2 men approaching a boy (age 9) in laytown area, well that was the station a person was to ring with any info.
    I have the cotton wool on standby and am ready to wrap my kids up in it.
    Did anyone hear anything.
    This is terrible, I hope they get them .
    Cathy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Haven't heard anything but thanks for the heads up Cathy.
    That's terrible. What paper did you read the article in?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭gversey

Which paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Yesterday, the STAR,page 2.It says it was a wexford reg car.4 ADULTS and today in the News of the world.
    God, I hope they catch tem.
    Its just..terrible.Kids arnt safe.It was a national school in RUSH...
    Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

I heard about this too - so scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A car you say?
    Are you sure it wasn't a white van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here we go again! :rolleyes:

Does it never occur to the people who believe these silly urban myths, that it's a bit strange that the 'abductors' are always unsuccessful. 4 adults can't manage to abduct a child???? and, as mikemac says, where was the white van?

Most children are abducted/abused by someone they know - usually a family member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Does it never occur to the people who believe these silly urban myths, that it's a bit strange that the 'abductors' are always unsuccessful. 4 adults can't manage to abduct a child???? and, as mikemac says, where was the white van?

Most children are abducted/abused by someone they know - usually a family member.

I accept that, however the key word is "most". Do you really believe that this stuff never happens with strangers? I can tell you for a fact, through personal experience, it is not always someone known to the child.

So before you go jumping in with your rolleyes maybe take a minute to realise that there is absolutely nothing wrong with raising awareness of whats been printed for those who use this forum and have children. Maybe it's bull, maybe it's not. A bit of caution won't hurt anyone.

I never mentioned a white van, and if its real, have you any idea how the parent would feel if they read this.
    Does it take for the child to be gone...before we take it serious.
    I for one, will be more alert.
    If that's all it takes that's great.
    Just to up date the child in lay town was actually in Donneycarney but its lay town Garda station looking after it.The mother and her son where pictured in the artical.
    And no white wan there.
    We all know that story but ...I would rather be wrong 10000000 times then be right once...I
    Keep them safe.
    Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

It was only a year ago or so when a young member of my family was walking home and an attempted abduction took place.

It turned out that this guy had been up to no good for quite some time but the Garda kept everything quiet (they’d hate to see people panic!)

If we had been made aware the child wouldn’t have been walking alone. It was early evening and she was close to her home.

The guy was eventfully caught and has been barred from the area that he was cruising and moved to another town. He was married with kids of his own. Problem moved to another area. I wonder how long it will be before he starts cruising again.

This is not an urban myth and these things do happen.

a lucky escape.Sorry to hear they didnt get him and throw away the key,
    Cathy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

+1

Can anyone remember a single case in the last 10 years where a child was actually abducted by a non family member??

I'm not saying it can't happen, of course it can, but your child is far more likely to fall down a manhole, be attacked by a dog, be hit by a bus, or have something heavy fall on them. The odds of your child being abducted are astronomical!
    as the mother of a little 3 year old, I won't be letting her out of my sight!!!
    The 'fear' of abduction compared to the chance of abduction is completely disproportionate and irrational. Your child is 10000x more likely to be killed falling down the stairs or drown in the bath. You going to stop bathing them too?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This is a zombie thread that is no longer DCN-specific.
    I'm closing this as I am sure that no other forum would want it.
    Relevant recent posts have been moved to the current 'abduction' thread.

HB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement