Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ gigs in Limerick

Options
  • 15-02-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

My brother has been doing some DJ work in Galway for a couple of years and is trying to get some gigs in other cities. He's a student, and is only doing it part time. He's played in well known pubs, and has regular spots in some of the pubs.

He plays Soul, Funk, Disco and some Hip Hop.

Can anyone suggest some pubs/clubs in Limerick that might be interested in giving a few gigs to someone playing this type of music? I'm not looking for someone to offer actual gigs (although that would be nice!), but rather suggestions of pubs/clubs that play that kind of music.

I was debating between posting in the music forum or here, but decided that the Limerick thread was the most apt because I'm looking for local info.

Thanks

Rosboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Would probably try local pubs after a match or something. You know to keep the crowd from leaving.

Places like Clohessys (Raheen) Collins (Dooradoyle) although i have never seen a dj there)), Scotts (near mary I)??

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Take a sales approach.

Cold Call all the places around. I have to do this in towns and cities I have nevered worked in before.

Even offer a few of the biggest and best looking places one night for free as a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

He should hook up with the Cheebah crowd, http://cheebah.typepad.com They might be able to help him out, if not, they could send him in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

where might we have heard him play on galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

zuroph wrote: »

I'll check with him. I know in Bar 903 for definite.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try the sales approach as Berty suggested. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a bar that played Funk/Soul/Hip Hop predominently. Maybe the scatter gun approacd would be better.

rosboy wrote: »
    I'll check with him. I know in Bar 903 for definite.

Cuba,
    Massimo's,
    The College Bar,
    Bar No. 8,
    GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

rosboy wrote: »
    Cuba,
    Massimo's,
    The College Bar,
    Bar No. 8,
    GPO.

Not a bad listing.

Except for the GPO. Thats a hole of a place. Too bad he does not have CP's on it because CP's is the best in town IMHO.

In this case Angel Lane, Smyths and the Trinity rooms spring to mind in Limerick immediately.

Ask for Lenny in Smyths bar, Denmark Street for the Icon nightclub.

Cheer Berty. I'll get him to put a demo CD together and give those contacts a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Berty wrote: »
    Not a bad listing.

Except for the GPO. Thats a hole of a place. Too bad he does not have CP's on it because CP's is the best in town IMHO.

In this case Angel Lane, Smyths and the Trinity rooms spring to mind in Limerick immediately.

Ask for Lenny in Smyths bar, Denmark Street for the Icon nightclub.

Smyths and Icon play nothing but cheesy commercial radio music so there's absolutely no point approaching them.

Your best bet is Trinity Rooms, The Wicked Chicken or Mickey Martins. The latter two being predominantly funk & soul venues would be the best bet. Trinity Rooms would be the most approachable of all the nightclubs

• Advertisement

John_Mc wrote: »
    Smyths and Icon play nothing but cheesy commercial radio music so there's absolutely no point approaching them.

Your best bet is Trinity Rooms, The Wicked Chicken or Mickey Martins. The latter two being predominantly funk & soul venues would be the best bet. Trinity Rooms would be the most approachable of all the nightclubs
    plus one on this, they were where id' suggest too for his funk style. Can you PM me his name, think I might have heard him already. unfortunately, dj scene is quite diff in limerick, and we're not really spoiled for choice on a night out. Always admired Galway for their variety in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

plus one on this, they were where id' suggest too for his funk style. Can you PM me his name, think I might have heard him already. unfortunately, dj scene is quite diff in limerick, and we're not really spoiled for choice on a night out. Always admired Galway for their variety in this area.

Dunno about that, Mickeys & The Wicked chicken always have decent funk playing. And Bakers place is great for house, techno and Drum & Bass. Trinity rooms have regular DJs spinning electronic music in the court yard as well.

I don't know Galway that well, but with the exception of the excellent 110th street / Sisi lads, I never hear of international acts being brought to Galway. I think the Limerick scene would be a lot stronger in that respect...

John_Mc wrote: »
    Dunno about that, Mickeys & The Wicked chicken always have decent funk playing. And Bakers place is great for house, techno and Drum & Bass. Trinity rooms have regular DJs spinning electronic music in the court yard as well.

I don't know Galway that well, but with the exception of the excellent 110th street / Sisi lads, I never hear of international acts being brought to Galway. I think the Limerick scene would be a lot stronger in that respect...
    umm.. i was recommending mickeys and the chicken. just seems in galway they'll have a good few more pubs playing funky stuff. as for the larger acts, yeah i agree they have fewer, but they're getting there in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cant believe i didnt think of the wicked chicken or mickeys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

You gotta decide really if your in it for the money or the music, you can a bit of both but everything is always sewn up.

I`m not sure OP how much your into your music but if you play some hip hop, RNB and a bit of chart etc then it should`nt be too hard getting into most night clubs or bars.

I know some guys that play this music and weddings etc, for the weddings they get anything from 250 - 500 Euro a gig, fair play and its a handy living if your returning your taxes etc.

All the bars the guys mention have residents djs from the city and other guys willing to play for free or nearlly free!! so it could be a labour of love.I`m sure most bar workers will give him the contacts he wants.

why not try find out whos running this new "bitter end" place. if u could get in there the place might be bareable!

"bitter end" place

Where's that?

theres another thread about it here, its where nevadas used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 galwayfotogrfr

Cant believe i didnt think of the wicked chicken or mickeys!!

These two would be my first choice to go for. a friend and i did a soul music night a few years ago in nestors but thats gone now. upstairs in dolans might offer something.

Has anyone got contact details for The Wicked Chicken. Can't seem to find them online.

• Advertisement

http://www.eightball.ie/contact/

dave o donovan is the man to ask..

Cheers Zuroph.

Advertisement