Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray exchange: any real idea when it will be upgraded?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,

currently an eircom DSL customer, Bray exchange. 2Mb only available (and no alternatives: was Clearwire in the past, before eircom DSL enabled the exchange. They were absolutely awful. Local UPC network is not bband enabled yet either).

The 2Mbps is getting to be a real pain. I have not managed to get anything out of eircom customer non-support with any real dates for when the exchange might get updated. (They told me July '08 for instance).

Has anyone heard anything about what might be the real date to upgrade the exchange so that faster speeds would be a theoretical possibility?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm getting 6Mb on the Bray exchange right now, and I'm a good distance from the exchange (Ardmore Wood).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Alun wrote: »
    I'm getting 6Mb on the Bray exchange right now, and I'm a good distance from the exchange (Ardmore Wood).

Ditto but I'm with bt (reselling eircoms package)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭liamf

Well that's jolly bad.

276xxxx is the Bray exchange, isn't it?

Where physically *is* the Bray exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It is down behind Molloys cafe and bakery on the Quinnsborough road

Ta, so it is.
    I found an earlier post from someone with Lat/Long co-ordinates :)

I am on the southern cross. Which is, what, 3kms from there?
    So probably several extra kms of wiring.

Does anyone know how to work out how to work out rough line length from the attenuation numbers I can get out of the Netopia ADSL router?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

liamf wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to work out how to work out rough line length from the attenuation numbers I can get out of the Netopia ADSL router?
    On average it works out at about 14dB per km.

You could only be about 2.5km as the crow flies from the exchange, but cable ducts tend to follow roads, so can be much longer. I'd suspect in your case that the cables would go down to the Southern Cross road, along to the roundabout and then down Vevay Road and Main Street which could easily be 4km or so depending on where you are exactly.

Thanks.

Every ~6 weeks or so I request an upgrade to 7Mbps. And so far I always get told "nyet".

I am also on 2M/256 whereas I would have expected that I'd be on 3M/386 or whatever, by default, if the line would support it.

I'd change to BT in a heartbeat if they could guarantee a faster rate. But if they are just reselling the eircom product in this exchange and I wouldn't be switched to different exchange equipment there is not much point ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Your line could be poor, check the line stats in your modem and enter them here to get an idea of what it'll support. 2M could simply be all you can get, and eircom will not do anything to improve that.

Alrighty,

I checked my modem and it says:

Downstream Upstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256 SN Margin (dB) 9.50 17.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 54.50 31.50
    Not sure what that http://www2.farina1.com/adsl/ site is telling me, since with those SN and attenuation figures I can put anything I like into the sync speed field, and get a max rate of ~ the sync speed.

... although in fairness 12dB S/N downstream seems to be what it usually is ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement