Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof gear

Options
  • 15-02-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've to get some waterproof gear for a hike abroad where there will probably be a good bit of snow. It will be over 2 days. I know nothing about hiking gear, but I was looking in a shop today. The prices for waterproof over-trousers were more expensive than the price for snowboarding trousers. Which would be more suitable? Would the snowboarding trousers be too baggy/warm? Would the over-trousers be better because you could wear different bottoms under the next day if you got sweaty?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,223 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It depends on the snow really,if it's cold enough for the snow to be dry then you'll be fine with the snowboard pants,if its wet then better with the waterproofs. I was mountaineering in scotland not too long ago and my mate just used snowboard pants and i wore waterproofs,we were both pretty wet at the end of each day so its much of a muchness. It's easier to dry the waterproofs but They both keep the wind off which is the most important i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Personally for hill walking/mountaineering I'd wear normal hard-shell, breathable, waterproofs such as Lowe Alpine, Berghaus or Patagonia. You'd also be able to use them in Ireland afterwards. Unless you're in serious snow/ice/wind conditions I think you'll find padded snowboarding gear too hot, stiff, unbreathable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

You might want to consider a pair of gaiters with your waterproof over-trousers, if you are walking in snow. I learned that the hard way recently - its not pleasent having cold snow being driven up your leggings.

Advertisement