Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime series for grown-ups; suggestions please.

Options
  • 15-02-2009 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I'm always really stuck for anime; I loved Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Series 1, 2 Solid State Society & Innocence), Paranoia Agent and I'm in serious withdrawal after Samurai Champloo (very, very highly recommended). Every other series seems to be too kiddie, too look-at-my-massive-sword, too fantasy (mystical furrie babes with pointy ears) or too tits-and-ass.

I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and I'm going to be really stuck when I'm done. Any suggestions welcome. Non-cheesy j-pop laden, a decent fan-sub and three dimensional characters a good starting point. I like to think I'm an intelligent woman, so hentai and Death Note ain't gonna cut it...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting people to look at your massive sword, watch Berserk and you'll see what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Definitely give Elfen Lied a go anyway, a lot of the nudity is a little unnecessary, but don't let that put you off an otherwise fantastic series!
    Ergo Proxy is definitely worth checking out as well
    Blood+ maybe?
    Claymore...

Check out the synopsis of them on animenewsnetwork and see which one sound like your cuppa, you're sure to find something to like out of those few anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Ammunition_Magi

the Hellsing OVA's (wasn't a big fan of the normal series)
    Serial Experiments Lain

Look them up and see what you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Monster is a good read/watch i find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Fate/stay night? Maybe one of the darker Gundam series?:confused:

I second Claymore, but switch to the manga before it gets to Pieta - that's where it starts going downhill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Death Note is very good. It's more of a psychological thriller rather than an action fantasy. It's very intelligent and entertaining. You should give it a go. The mind battles between the two guys are fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Fringe wrote: »
    Death Note is very good. It's more of a psychological thriller rather than an action fantasy. It's very intelligent and entertaining. You should give it a go. The mind battles between the two guys are fascinating.
    +1

do not make assumptions before watching something, death note is incredibly intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

Fringe wrote: »

+2 Death note is brillant and should be watched. The first twenty episodes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Xam'd: Lost Memories. Love, war, suicide bombings, has everything. Also, excellent animation.

Claymore. Excellent stuff, surprising depth and a good female lead.

Also, you shouldn't be so quick to judge. Gurren Lagann has cartoony animation and fanservice but is excellent regardless. Similarly, Macross Frontier is top notch yet is filled with J-Pop from end to end. Having two main characters as pop stars does that to a show.

Also, Berserk proves that giant swords are not childish things.

Death Note is very good, but the manga has a better ending than the anime. Some people don't care for such convoluted detective stories though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Death Note is very good, but the manga has a better ending than the anime. Some people don't care for such convoluted detective stories though.

Yep, I would suggest ignoring the last few episodes and pretending that it ends at around episode 25-26 (can't remember which one exactly, but they could have just used that as the final episode)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Farguc

I did not watch Elfien Lied but I have heard its really good . From what I have seen I will suggest :

Death note &
    Full metal Alchemist

• Registered Users Posts: 82,498 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd only seen the Death Note pilot but you can smell the Win.

I've always liked Gundam. Seed and Seed Destiny were very Kiddish but Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 seem much less age oriented. Hell the main protaganist in 00 is a kid who was brainwashed into shooting his own parents for a start. It also has a few political themes like What would happen if the New World Order takes over everything.

If you can find Zone of the Enders: Idolo, give that movie a shot too.

And you're a sap if you don't appreciate Gurren Lagan.

People also keep telling me Neon Genesis Evangelion is fantastic but I keep putting it off. I got 2-3 episodes in and failed to get hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

Thanks for all of the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I know that there are tonnes of good series out there, but it all falls down to personal taste and whether the story/characters click with you or not, so the more I check out , the better my chances. (Or the more drivel I end up watching... Can't be helped).

Ergo Proxy is definitely worth checking out as well
    Oh yeah, also - does Ergo proxy get any less impenetrable as you go along? I felt like I needed an online guide to get through the first ep. Looks great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

I'm going to ignore all your ignorant pretentious requests and just list a few good anime.

Nanoha
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Tower of Druaga
    Berserk
    Gankutsuou
    Escaflowne
    Gungrave
    Ouran High School Host Club
    Seto no Hanayome
    Azumanga Daioh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

If you like masamune shirows stuff (Ghost in the shell) - he also wrote/drew the manga "Orion" complicated and interesting stuff - he also did all the Dominion tank police stuff as well as appleseed (both the books and anime)..

There's also Katsuhiro Otomo's masterpiece "Akria" - personall I'd be going with the manga (six large phonebook sized tomes :P ) the movie is good but a lot is left unexplained, the manga on the other hand is unbelievably detailed and nothing is left out at all - the books help understanding the movie much easier..he also wrote; Neo-Tokyo (1987), Roujin Z (1991), Memories (1995), Metropolis (2001), Steamboy (2004) & Mushishi (2006) - list of his works is on wikipedia..

Started reading a series of manga books called "Eden" only last week, got them cheap on a holiday to London - it can be a little confusing, but it's very adult oriented (and I don't mean boobs/sex - themes about loss, moral standpoints etc, it's a damn good read so far)

Loved samurai champloo myself, it's good - in a similarish vein there are the manga books "blade of the immortal" which are a great read..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

RahXephon
    Texhnolyze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Farguc

I forgot afro samurai,its like samurai champloo but better

DingChavez wrote: »
    I'm going to ignore all your ignorant pretentious requests and just list a few good anime.

Nanoha
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Tower of Druaga
    Berserk
    Gankutsuou
    Escaflowne
    Gungrave
    Seto no Hanayome
    Azumanga Daioh
    Ignorant and pretentious as my requests may be... I'll still take you at your word and check out your suggestions. I just don't have time to watch series I don't love, and most of the ones I've started to watch have fallen into that category...
    In fact who does have time to watch stuff that isn't top notch and to their taste?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

DingChavez wrote: »

Nanoha
    Cardcaptor Sakura
    Tower of Druaga
    Berserk
    Gankutsuou
    Escaflowne
    Gungrave
    Seto no Hanayome
    Azumanga Daioh
    I wouldn't rate any of those as unmissible, though most are quite good.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is overrated. I watched it, and thought it was terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

Neon Genesis Evangelion is overrated. I watched it, and thought it was terrible.
    Some love it, some hate it. No-one walks away from that series the same person.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Farguc wrote: »
    I forgot afro samurai,its like samurai champloo but better
    SHENANIGANS, MOTHAF*****!
    [/Sam L]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Rah-Xephon takes everything Evangelion tried to do and does it better with cooler robots and hotter chicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Rah-Xephon takes everything Evangelion tried to do and does it better with cooler robots and hotter chicks.
    and i managed to lose it before even watching it -_-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

lovertits wrote: »
    I'm always really stuck for anime; I loved Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex (Series 1, 2 Solid State Society & Innocence), Paranoia Agent and I'm in serious withdrawal after Samurai Champloo (very, very highly recommended). Every other series seems to be too kiddie, too look-at-my-massive-sword, too fantasy (mystical furrie babes with pointy ears) or too tits-and-ass.

I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and I'm going to be really stuck when I'm done. Any suggestions welcome. Non-cheesy j-pop laden, a decent fan-sub and three dimensional characters a good starting point. I like to think I'm an intelligent woman, so hentai and Death Note ain't gonna cut it...

I hate to say it but you have a kind of narrow view of anime(most of the anime you've seen or alluded to are very mainstream, so I guess it can't be helped, the anime that make it popular overhere are often ****e). I know you're asking for suggestions but the thing is there are dozens and dozens of anime that are perfectly grown up. I think the problem might be that you're writing off anything with an element of Shonen. For example I'd consider Casshern Sins, which is currently airing, a very beautiful and "grown up" anime, but because some of the fights are a bit Dragonball looking, you might write it off.

Another example would be The Big O, which has big robots fighting, but is actually a pretty interesting existentialist series.

Serial Experiments Lain is another good existentialist one like Big O, Ghost in the Shell.

I don't find there's near enough fantasy based anime, personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

wow. this is a very narrow view of animes. but you can try gundam 00(surprisingly addictive) and its gona be hard for you to find something not too kiddie or fantasy or too look-at-my-big-sword. also, you can watch code geass and death note.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

lol @ OP. There's ton of animes fitting your "description" that are completely awesome and worth anyone's time watching.

Anyway, try these:

Berserk
    Black Lagoon
    Gungrave
    Hellsing
    Last Exile
    Initial D

Also, to add to the Death Note love, it's pretty strong for 15-20 episodes or so but it falls off horribly. Still worth a watch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I'd recommend Texhnolyze because it is quite dark and gritty with many a mature theme.

Paranoia Agent covers mental illness very well but is presented in quite a colourful and almost "child-like" way (Family Planning anyone?)

Again, thanks everyone for the suggestions, I've already checked out quite a few, and ended up watching the first ep of Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit too. (Give me another few episodes and I'll know how that is). Black Lagoon, Code Geass are on my list to watch.
    Monkeyto Paranoia Agent was fantastic - will check out Texhnolyze too.

I guess, looking more at the kind of anime that grabs me, I've realised how important the artwork & creators' overall style is, and why Production IG and Manglobe have been favourites of mine... Also, it's not that I don't like guns or swords, just nice normal sized ones:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Gankutsuou is the series you want. Go watch it now :)

Advertisement