Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Hand Cars

Options
  • 15-02-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Hey all.

I will be looking to buy a second hand car soon, but I really know nothing about cars at all. I also don't have anyone here in Sligo who could check out a second hand car for me. I'd rather I had made a decision then get them to come and give it the once over.

Could anyone recommend a decent dealer, who won't be rubbing his hands in glee when he sees me coming!

Thanks. (and be careful out there)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Could anyone recommend a decent dealer, who won't be rubbing his hands in glee when he sees me coming!

wish i was in a position to change vehicles at the present time:(...buyers market and all that,you should get some really good value if you shop around.
    have pm'd you a name and number..good luck with your purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Many thanks dardevle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

any car dealer in sligo will be doing good deals at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I hate to say this but I'd recommend going up north,much better value:)

I bought my car in Connollys on the Old Dublin Road.I don't recommend going there,all they want is the sale,after sales service is very shoddy,especially in my experience.

strongr wrote: »
    any car dealer in sligo will be doing good deals at the moment.

Its really more the quality I'm worried about. Is it going to cost me a fortune afterwards to keep in order etc. I guess I need somewhere with great after sales service.

I need to get a few of them lesson thingys first too. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Its really more the quality I'm worried about. Is it going to cost me a fortune afterwards to keep in order etc. I guess I need somewhere with great after sales service.

I need to get a few of them lesson thingys first too. :D

i bought my last few cars from the local opel dealer and found them very good

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I hate to say this but I'd recommend going up north,much better value:)

I bought my car in Connollys on the Old Dublin Road.I don't recommend going there,all they want is the sale,after sales service is very shoddy,especially in my experience.

I heard this from a few people,they must be under pressure to generate money to pay for the showroom.They are using the wrong address as well,where they are is not Carraroe but Ballydrehid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

There is a couple of good dealers, one in Boyle and one in Grange...they buy the 'older' cars from the dealers.
    I bought one off the fella in Boyle...he was brilliant. It had a problem after I fixed it. He leant me another car while he fixed mine. I can pm the numbers if you like.

Sligored wrote: »
    i bought my last few cars from the local opel dealer and found them very good
    Is that the dealers in Cleveragh, by Abbey Foods?
    magnumlady wrote: »
    There is a couple of good dealers, one in Boyle and one in Grange...they buy the 'older' cars from the dealers.
    I bought one off the fella in Boyle...he was brilliant. It had a problem after I fixed it. He leant me another car while he fixed mine. I can pm the numbers if you like.

Thanks V, that would be great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've had nothing but bad experiences with the Sligo Opel garage - you'll definitely get better value up north... I priced a Nissan Primera locally - for a 2002 model, it was almost 2 grand cheaper up north even with the VRT. Just make sure you get a warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

By most dealers and traders in the north you can even trade in your car on ROI log book!

I've had nothing but bad experiences with the Sligo Opel garage - you'll definitely get better value up north... I priced a Nissan Primera locally - for a 2002 model, it was almost 2 grand cheaper up north even with the VRT. Just make sure you get a warranty.

I was the exact same when I had an Opel.
    When the car was been serviced or just getting something done,the staff were quite rude and very unhelpful with no manners.At least be polite:confused:

I was the exact same when I had an Opel.
    When the car was been serviced or just getting something done,the staff were quite rude and very unhelpful with no manners.At least be polite:confused:

They were never rude to me personally, but they did take huge liberties in ripping me off when I left my car in for a service.

They were however, very rude with my missus - she left hers in for a Pre-NCT check... they replaced the exhaust because the emissions were high, but fixed the new exhaust with what I can only describe as a glorified rubber band - the exhaust bounced all over the place & rattled like crazy.

Then it failed the NCT on emissions. She brought the car back in & bollocked them out of it. So they agreed to re-do the exhaust fitting & bring the car in themselves. It passed the NCT.. makes ya wonder.

Go north, get a bargain & bring it to a local small garage for servicing etc - you'll save yourself a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Thinking of changing the car too and im only new to the area so no ideas of where to go to.......been to the main dealers in town but not been too impressed with the service in fairness. If any of ya's can pm me names or anythin it'd be great!

Weird! I bought a car about 20 minutes ago. :)

Weird! I bought a car about 20 minutes ago. :)

what did you buy? where did you buy it? Nosey, me....never:rolleyes:

what did you buy? where did you buy it? Nosey, me....never:rolleyes:

It was the laziest car buy ever.

Opened my door this evening. Neighbour pulled in opposite with "For Sale" sign on his car. I drove a hard bargain...

"How much for the car mate?" XXX "Um..ok." He showed me the engine. I looked at him like he was deranged. I asked "Is it alright?" He said "Its grand" I bought the car.

Its an Opel Corsa (apparently).

I <3 it already.
    :D

lol, well that was easy:D...what are you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Opel Corsa is my first choice for when we buy a car too!

What year?

I'm not telling you the colour, I'm paranoid enough about wearing my red coat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I would be since there are already 328 view on this post!:D

I would be since there are already 328 view on this post!:D

I've a feeling it will be fairly obvious its me :o. Just remember, ye were all learners once. Oh and does anyone know anywhere I can practice, that is completely deserted?

Oh and does anyone know anywhere I can practice, that is completely deserted?

The retail park.

/its the way I tell 'em..

You answered your own question there!You could also go to Finisklin in the evening,very quite down there.

My first car was an Opel Corsa,best of luck with your one.

You answered your own question there!You could also go to Finisklin in the evening,very quite down there.

My first car was an Opel Corsa,best of luck with your one.

I can't believe you admitted to owning a grannymobile. :D

I can't believe you admitted to owning a grannymobile. :D

don't diss grannymobiles...I own a nunmobile called Bertie:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

how much did you pay for it?

don't diss grannymobiles...I own a nunmobile called Bertie:D

I've nothing against grannymobiles - I just feel sorry for blokes who drive them.. they always look slightly embarrassed & tend to hide behind the steering wheel when they pass other male drivers. The poor divels!

Grannymobile indeed.

I'll be looking out for you now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Hey all.

I will be looking to buy a second hand car soon, but I really know nothing about cars at all. I also don't have anyone here in Sligo who could check out a second hand car for me. I'd rather I had made a decision then get them to come and give it the once over.

Best advice i can give is this..

Buy your car from a dealer who has 3 -6 month waranty. Lets say you buy a BMW for 10k, you take the car from the garage you bought it from and then the next take take it to a BMW dealer for a service and checkup. They'll do the service (250 quid) they'll run a diagnostics through their computers and give you a read out of all the things wrong with the engine if any. Take the read out back to the garage you bought it from and tell them to fix everything under the waranty.

That way you have spent 10,250 euro and have piece of mind that its 100%. There's no other way about it..

I cant name names but i bought an Audi last yaer from a dealer in Tallaght Dublin, i've had nothing but trouble and have spent a small fortune on the car. More fool me for not taking my own advice, i wish i had.

Advertisement