Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoning home from Oz, number format

Options
  • 15-02-2009 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Doing my CV, and I remembered that on alot of phones in Oz that for whatever reason you cant call Ireland in the same format as you do from most countries (i.e. most places to call home to an 086 you would do 00 353 86 xxxx) but oz is slightly different. What is the format again, say for Dublin landline, which from abroad would normally be 00 353 1 xxxx
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

This page seems to sugegst that it is 0011 then country code:

http://www.idd.com.au/

Use a + if the phone handset has it as that should always just be replaced by whatever the local format for getting an international line is. But for a Dublin number I think you'll be wanting 00 11 353 1 xxx xxxx from that page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

0011 353...

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/dialingcodes.html?p1=47&p2=78&number=0861234567

I usually use +353... as when ppl see + they will know what to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Thanks.

Wonder why they have this system? Tis a bit awkward your first day having arguements with payphones when tired and drunk from a 22 hour flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

All countries have a similar system. There's the code you dial to get out of the country you're in - for instance, in the UK it's 00, here it's 0011 - then the code you dial to get into the country you want - for Ireland, that's 353.

But yes, it is difficult, and calling home is a pain in the ass. If you can organise it at all, I heartily recommend you set up a skype account and do all of your calling through the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Vodafone Passport lets you use your Irish number at the same rates as at home, but with a 79 cent connection fee. No per-minute rate for receiving calls either, just the 79 cent connection fee again. I don't work for Vodafone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement