Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unfair warning in PI

Options
  • 15-02-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

First of all I know an warning is below an infraction and below a ban. But barring my posts in After Hours I do hope I'm a helpful poster in several areas.

Got an warning for this thread here in Personal Issues

I posted on a thread to do with racism:
    It's new for a lot of people, give them a chance before you blacken the entire population.

Now I can see how this can be taken the wrong way but it never occured to me somebody would think I was trying to sneak in a pun or snide comment.
    Hey my post was helpful imo. You'll see it edited but realy that doesn't change anything. It was edited 2 minutes after it was posted and the warning received afterwards.

Mod was pm'ed and explained it was just a warning. I am grateful for the mod for taking the time to reply but it was still uncalled for in my opinion. It's there on my user record for all (well mods and above) to see.

Can an smod please review this?
    I'm aware it's a warning and you probably think I should forget about it but thank you anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I can see where you're coming from here Mike. Innocently intended message that could be misconstrued.

I tend to view warnings as nicely-intended nudges for the greater part though - you should see the completely understanding messages I usually send out with them stressing the nudge basis for issuing them (they take me too long to type but we've had a fierce post upturn in one or two of the forums I mod and it's the joy of letting people know about the expectations of posting there, especially on one of them).

I don't think someone should forget about merely because it's a warning. However, the nice nudges are usually issued to bring something to someone's attention in as light a manner as it can be done (yes, I realise there's the option of a PM, the warnings/nudges are usually quite useful for other mods on the forum as well as the user though as well as keeping it pretty much on the record that it wasn't severe in this case).

If you're really bothered about it, drop another line to Victor saying that - though I've not met him in person I've always thought of him as being as fair an understanding as any mod can be, especially on PI.

I wouldn't worry about it due to the spirit in which it seems to have been issued, rather than not worrying about it because it's "just" a warning. But within reason I'd tend to trust Victor's call n this specific thing - it's rather easily misconstrued and it definitely appears to have been issued as a "hey dude"-type nudge. It does vanish after 10 days.

If you're totally intent on objecting to it, post back with that but to be honest, as a reasonable nudge put reasonably, I'd say it's a reasonable call.

Advertisement