Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine living in North America for the wildlife.

• 15-02-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

We're def hard done by in this country ('Cept maybe for Puffins/Swans). :(
    Look at the about of Bald Eagles flying around in the picture and the guy himself said that this was just a portion of them in the area.

Photo by Dave Vichich from DPreview site
    rest of the pics here.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=30925514

I think he over sharpened them myself but the actual captures are wonderful.

baldeaglesyv5.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've been to the US and Canada many many times.

I was in Vancouver, BC, the year before last, and the eagles were everywhere. First one I saw I was so excited about .... and then I noticed another, and another, and at the end of an hour walking, I lost count how many I saw.

Just a shame I didn't get enough photos of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

I've actually been trawling google the last day or two looking up irish wildlife. Not very exciting, unless you count that escaped panther up the north! I'd like to get into photographing our wildlife anyways no matter how unexciting.

I live in an area that fairly populated with deer, but I just don't know how to track them properly. Should I lay in wait or actively hunt them steve irwin style? Would be nice to get a few pics of them in the wild.

I also found out that we have a few pine martens, cute little cat-monkey things!!:pac:

117179~A-pine-marten-Martes-martes-watches-from-the-top-of-a-tree-Posters.jpg

They're a very secretive species though, rarely seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

is it possible to bring such animals here and let them breed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

anladmór wrote: »

http://www.goldeneagle.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Jesus lads, far away hills and all that.

For wildlife there's absolutely no need to leave Ireland. Great diversity here as good as anywhere without exception.

For flocks, there's gulls, oyster catchers, starlings, lapwings,brent geese etc.

For colour, it's hard to beat some of the more common birds, mallard, starling, street pidgeon and of course the less visable kingfisher or puffin.

Was there a rush to O'Connell St. in January when there were a couple of hundred exotic looking waxwings just above head height, oblivious to most people?

Who has photographed stoats, otters, mink, or other common mammals?

Spare the airfare, it's all around you's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

anladmór wrote: »
    We have neither the space or diversity to accommodate foreign species, just read this piece about what happened when four American grey squirrels were released into the wild in Co. Longford in 1911...
    http://www.wicklownationalpark.ie/pages/mammalsgreysquirrelweb.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I'ld say N.America overall is quite an amazing place to take pictures. Not just for wildlife but for landscape, city etc. Got some amazing wildlife, mountains, caves, desert, cities, its got the whole lot!
    I'ld love to visit or maybe even live in Alaska sometime. Its an amazing place...

And i think you can spot Falcons in dublin from time to time too... i think... thought all i've seen in the city are mostly sea gulls and pigeons.

though all i've seen in the city are mostly sea gulls and pigeons.

You've obviously not looked :pac::D

Do you think you'd look more if you were in Alaska:confused::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I can feel a boards meet up session coming on. Anyone have any suggestions? :D

oshead wrote: »
    I can feel a boards meet up session coming on. Anyone have any suggestions? :D

Your house seems full of bugs O's, maybe start there :confused::p;)

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    We have neither the space or diversity to accommodate foreign species, just read this piece about what happened when four American grey squirrels were released into the wild in Co. Longford in 1911...
    http://www.wicklownationalpark.ie/pages/mammalsgreysquirrelweb.php

They're vermin and they're taking over our native red squirrels territory. So it's perfectly legal to kill them to bits anytime you see one. I'd love to get one with my catapult and conjure up a bit of a stew.

Overblood wrote: »
    They're vermin and they're taking over our native red squirrels territory. So it's perfectly legal to kill them to bits anytime you see one. I'd love to get one with my catapult and conjure up a bit of a stew.

Emm. Not really the attitude to have imo. Pheasants, probably came from India for example, you can't blame the animal, it's the people that are to blame. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

this fella lives on my doorstep in Wicklow Town. I've never seen an otter in Canada (lived there for 26 years) :)

OTTER_NOV_22_08.jpg

OTTER_NOV_22_08_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Covey wrote: »
    Emm. Not really the attitude to have imo. Pheasants, probably came from India for example, you can't blame the animal, it's the people that are to blame. :D

Dey tuk err jerbs!!...??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Look at the about of Bald Eagles flying around in the picture and the guy himself said that this was just a portion of them in the area.

This fella landed on a golf course in NY some years ago when I was over & interrupted play until it decided to move on.

3283677703_ccf6cf8193_o.jpg

I was deer stalking well into the Kerry mountains yesterday & saw one of the eagles circling above us,

Unfortunately it was a choice of adding the camera to the load or leaving it so I left it behind. Next time instead of carrying a rifle I will carry the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

So it's perfectly legal to kill them to bits anytime you see one. I'd love to get one with my catapult and conjure up a bit of a stew.
    I hope you're joking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I live in an area that fairly populated with deer, but I just don't know how to track them properly. Should I lay in wait or actively hunt them steve irwin style? Would be nice to get a few pics of them in the wild.

It mostly depends on the land you plan on tracking them across. Are we talking open fields or woodlands here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

If you are in Dublin, Bull Island is a pretty decent place to go for birds.

That being said, comparing Ireland with North America is a bit unfair on Ireland, plus, just because you're bored with feral urban foxes and the odd badger doesn't mean the average NAmerican isn't bored with the average raccoon.

It's a bit like landscape - we think parts of Australia and America are amazing but they don't have what we take for granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

I lived in Canada for a few years and saw a little bit more wildlife there then I have here, but I spent alot more time in the "wild":D then I do here.You gotta get out there to see anything.
    I saw lots of beaver there but that's another story:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I hope you're joking.

I hope so too ! I mean Grey Squirrels are stringy and unpleasant, Red Squirrels are the delicious ones. mmmm.

More seriously, Grey Squirrels ARE vermin. Red Squirrels are native here, grey squirrels are an invasive species. They crowd out the reds because of a couple of reasons, more time spent foraging, much bolder than the reds and more aggressive, and last but not least because they carry a virus that they're immune to and is fatal to the reds. My parents own a few acres in wicklow with a deciduous wood. Years ago there were a brace of red squirrels there. They're long gone though, replaced with a bunch of grey squirrels instead.

I mean all you have to do is walk through the botanic gardens during squirrel breeding season to get an idea how pervasive the greys are ...

• Advertisement

Okay.

the question of controlling the number of grey squirrels is OFF TOPIC. Bear this in mind before hitting the keyboard on the subject again, you all, okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I hope so too ! I mean Grey Squirrels are stringy and unpleasant, Red Squirrels are the delicious ones. mmmm.
    I was always under the impression that it was the other way round, and even seem to recall hearing someone on a program on British TV (Countryfile?) encouraging people to eat greys for that very reason. I haven't eaten either though, so can't offer any real opinion one way or the other.

AnimalRights. by the way, if you're interested, I'd recommend a look at this guy's site Vincent Munier. He has some very nice stuff, particularly of birds.

The only point I would raise is it takes a lot of patience - I mean a serious amount - to do wildlife photography. How would you feel about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Your right, there lots of wildlife out there. It is a matter of knowing where to photograph it.

For instance, while lying in wait for deer, I have seen foxes, badgers, hedgehogs, hares, rabbits, many different types of birds, including an eagle in Kerry, all unaware I was there, so they were acting natural in their environment.

The deer season is over at the end of this month so I intend to use my stalking skills to photograph some wildlife in my spare time. Not full time, just some framed for the walls in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Some of mine from Canada -

480351912_0a65bc33f1.jpg

480395628_13436c9886.jpg

And some from Ireland

2587763019_6d2bb4ce08.jpg

2588597030_f1d2c46598.jpg

Wildlife is all around. Just a matter of looking for it.

Calina wrote: »
    Okay.

the question of controlling the number of grey squirrels is OFF TOPIC. Bear this in mind before hitting the keyboard on the subject again, you all, okay?

Cant we veer off topic for two seconds?

I hope you're joking.

No I am NOT joking. They are vermin. Read DaireQuinlans well informed post there. Grey Squirrel stew comin' up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Ah! There's tons of wildlife here. I have never really gone out of my way to photograph it and I have taken quite a few shots that I am happy with. I often dream of packing everything in and going at it full time.

The problem is it wouldn't keep bread on the table. As Calina says the biggest thing with wildlife photography is patience. In my limited experience any decent shots that I have got required waiting.

I wont mention the two years it took to get the puffin taking off, that's in another thread.

Here is one example. Just out for a stroll one Sunday I spotted this Heron waiting at a weir. I figures he was more than likely "fishing" so I waited. I waited quite a long time. Many people would just have taken a quick shot in passing and left it at that.

B072E43A06784F4B9C73F184B4E6B247-800.jpg

Here's one anyone could have taken with a bit of patience:

1DFBE728D42840FF94DF722FB047DB41.jpg

And, of course, there is always luck:

26DF1D5A07CB445B8CD358955B457B4C-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Having only gotten into wildlife photography in a big way in the last 6 months (mostly birds), there is too much wildlife and good places to go. There are is never a shortage of birds around the place from common garden birds to very rare birds. Take for example the little blue heron which was in Galway this year for approx 2-3 weeks. In one weekend plane loads of people arrived from as far as Scandinavia and the UK to see this bird and or get a shot of it. It was the first reported case of this bird in Europe.

I want to try and capture what Ireland has to offer before I try and get some shots of birds further afield. It's not easy to get a great shot and I don't think I'd get one over the course of a 2-3 week holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

There is plenty of wildlife around, The liffey has plenty of otter, kingfisher, mink,
    Squirrel both red and grey, water voles any amount of birds in one area there is the odd eggret and what i believe to be a white Ibis one local farmer told me this one bird shows up for Feb and march every year and always on his own.
    I am trying to get some decent wildlife shots but I keep bring the damn Lurcher with me and he thinks everything that moves including deer must be chased and preferably end up as dinner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement