Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloakrooms in niteclubs

Options
  • 15-02-2009 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I'm just wondering about these as an issue arose last night in the club I work and it got me thinking.

Supposing I pay for the cloakroom facilities in a club and I lose my ticket. If someone picks up that ticket off the ground and claims that coat, is it their property? Or does that coat still remain mine? Is it a case of, if I lose my ticket I lose my right to having that coat safeguarded for me because I lost the ticker and was negligent? I mean the club can hardly be held responsible in that scenario as the staff can hardly be expected to remember who left in which coat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Think of your ticket like a lotto ticket.
    You lose your lotto ticket then the National lottery don't care if you can name the time, date & store and get CCTV footage, you aren't claiming.

So treat your cloakroom ticket like cash, if you lose it then you are correct, the staff won't remember you. Not the nightclubs responsibility.

But if you have your ticket and they lose your jacket it's their problem. Don't forget it was leather and cost 200 euro. They always are! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If someone picks up the ticket and claims the coat they wont own it but they will have possision of it.

If you loose your ticket then its your fault, the club have agreed to hold on the coat and will return it to whoever has the ticket. Its not the clubs fault if you loose your ticket.

What happened last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭miaowsky

oh last night wasn't a huge thing, just some guy forgot he gave his ticket to his friend and demanded his coat but his friend had picked up the two coats, then he accused us of stealing etc etc yawn :) then his friend comes back to find him, gives him his coat and no apology from the original idiot grrr:mad:

i liked the lotto analogy, thanks mikemac!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

...what about cloakrooms that have a big sign saying "We cannot be held responsible for lost or damaged property."? You're paying them for the service of holding your property, so surely if you have your ticket but they don't have your jacket, who's responsible?

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

oneweb wrote: »
    ...what about cloakrooms that have a big sign saying "We cannot be held responsible for lost or damaged property."? You're paying them for the service of holding your property, so surely if you have your ticket but they don't have your jacket, who's responsible?

If you pay for them to look after your coat, and they loose it, then it's their responsibility regardless of what a sign says. Signs cannot negate your statutory rights. If you've lost your ticket though, you haven't a leg to stand on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Yeah, people are so ignorant and rude to people who work in cloakrooms, even though most of the mistakes are because they are too drunk to remember.
    I had this girl I threw out, she was a mess. Well she started abusing me saying her jacket was inside. So i said give me your ticket and I will get it for you whilst the other bouncers made sure she didn't get in again. I brought out the jacket and gave it to her. She was adament that it wasn't hers, she was bringing me to court, attacked me, called me every name under the sun.
    She stayed at the door abusing me all night, when her friend walks out at the end of the night and asks her what was wrong? She then explains the situation to her friend making sure to refer to me as "this a55hole" then her friend says, do you not remember we swapped jackets earlier on in the night, thats my jacket and I have yours. She still refused to apologise. and left with some more abuse.
    I have not let her back in to the club yet!!!

I could give you hundreds of stories like this, and only 1 in 3 years of jackets been given out incorrectly, by the cloakroom staff. They are sober, working and doing their job. they don't make mistakes in most well run nightclubs, drunk people forget what they have done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I could give you hundreds of stories like this, and only 1 in 3 years of jackets been given out incorrectly, by the cloakroom staff. They are sober, working and doing their job. they don't make mistakes in most well run nightclubs, drunk people forget what they have done.

I'd believe the vast majority of them, drunk people are a pain and whats even worse is drunk people who "believe" they know their rights yet they don't have a enough sense to realize they were in the wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

recent club i was at you had to initial the ticket that went with your coat, then say your initials when you went to collect it again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

On the other hand, some folks in Cloakrooms can be the most unhelpful also.

I was in a club a year ago and i had only entered the place. Had not drunk before hand. My ticket fell on the floor within half hour of being in the door . I realised it was gone as im very weird about re-checking my pockets.

So i went back up to cloakroom - No queue there and i asked the girl if i could get my jacket as someone else may steal it with my ticket.

She proceeded to give me the usual speal about coming back later when they were closed to claim it. I was not intoxicated and i could clearly see the jacket behined her on a hanger.

I had explained which one was mine pointing it out and told her that i could descibe the contents of the pockets.

She didnt budge, so me treating people with respect agreed to come back later.

and i did - Oh guess what the jacket was gone!!!

Moral of the story - Dont lose your ticket and if you do ask to speak to the manager because staff just dont care because they see it all the time off actual piss heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Yes but you had no ticket and if she gave you the jacket and it turned out it wasnt yours she would lose her job.Also not her problem you lost your ticket.Should have went to the management and said it to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

listermint wrote: »
    and i did - Oh guess what the jacket was gone!!!

Kind of obvious that this was going to happen, no? You should have asked for the manager, got them to put that coat aside, and not let anyone with the ticket, which was going to be picked up by someone, get it without proving it was theirs. A manager would be in a better position to allow you the coat without the ticket. The girl at the counter could have lost her job for entertaining your request.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

irish-stew wrote: »
    recent club i was at you had to initial the ticket that went with your coat, then say your initials when you went to collect it again
    Such a simple and effective idea, yet it adds a reasonable level of security. Surprised so few places do this.

It is what it's.

Advertisement