Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R statistics help

• 15-02-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Ok so I need to analyse data for my undergrad project. I have experience of working with R but whats really confusing me is the format my data should be in before I convert it to a tab delimited file to import onto R.

I have two genotypes which I am comparing %infection at 6 different treatments. I think I should be using a two way interaction ANOVA for this. I have books from the library but they all deal with R directly not with the data in excel.

If anyone could help me I would be so grateful. Its just the basics, i know, but im really stuck!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

I have two genotypes which I am comparing %infection at 6 different treatments. I think I should be using a two way interaction ANOVA for this. I have books from the library but they all deal with R directly not with the data in excel.

It's pretty standard that you would set up 3 columns. One is a grouping variable for genotype. So, if you have 10 values for genotype#1 and 10 for genotype#2, label 10 cells each in the column with g1 or g2. Column 2 will be a grouping variable for treatment, so put in a label for each treatment and match it up to the number of times it occurs with each genotype. Column 3 will have your actual %infection values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 nearly_there

Thaks 2Scoops,

you see thats what I have exactly but when i import it into R, I cant find normality of each treatment for each genotyope. Should i just check for this in excel first or is it possible to use R?

Im trying to use the tapply function
    iV entered this

> tapply ( infection[treat = "1"], type, mean)

where 1 is the first treatment, and type means genotype and iv gotten

Error in tapply(infection[treat = "1"], type, mean) :
    arguments must have same length

is there something glaringly obvious im doing wrong?

you see thats what I have exactly but when i import it into R, I cant find normality of each treatment for each genotyope. Should i just check for this in excel first or is it possible to use R?

Not sure, tbh. I tend to use GUIs with R so not 100% up to speed with the code. If you have a low N, it may not calculate it. As this is a side-measure, I don't see the problem with doing it quickly in Excel and leave the heavy lifting to R. :pac:

I dont suppose theres any chance anyone could translate this for me? i think il have to start doing them out longhand....:(

Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value Pr(>F)
    type 1 73 73 0.1785 0.6731
    treat 1 118360 118360 291.0505 <2e-16 ***
    Residuals 197 80113 407
    ---
    Signif. codes: 0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

Tukey multiple comparisons of means
    95% family-wise confidence level

Fit: aov(formula = nec ~ type + treat)

$type
    diff lwr upr p adj
    M-G 1.205 -4.419154 6.829154 0.6731014

Warning messages:
    1: In replications(paste("~", xx), data = mf) : non-factors ignored: treat
    2: In TukeyHSD.aov(model) :
    'which' specified some non-factors which will be dropped

Df Sum Sq Mean Sq F value Pr(>F)
    type 1 73 73 0.1785 0.6731
    treat 1 118360 118360 291.0505 <2e-16 ***
    Residuals 197 80113 407

Reading across, it shows the degrees of freedom, sum of squares, mean square, F-value and p-value. Looks like treatment is significant.
    Tukey multiple comparisons of means
    95% family-wise confidence level

Fit: aov(formula = nec ~ type + treat)

$type
    diff lwr upr p adj
    M-G 1.205 -4.419154 6.829154 0.6731014

These are the results from a Tukey post-hoc test. It shows the mean difference, the 95% CI and the p-value.

• Advertisement

Thanks!!

Advertisement