Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus- Quantas, 20 kg per person

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

If my luggage exceeds 20kg anyone know if you can take it by paying extra, or do you have to have it exactly at 20kg and under, no concession? How much are the extra charges?

20kg is a pretty piddling amount to move across the world with tbh :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

$48 / 24euro per kilo
    http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageAddCollection#jump3
    but being ireland this could be even more

But for large weight stuff try UPS or similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Thanks.

fcuk sake, if they charged people of above average weight an additional levy there would be uproar :mad: 20 kg is only about 3 odd stone ffs.

Does the 20kg per person refer only to the baggage going in the baggage hold, or can you carry additional on board? Cant remember right now but I think you can carry on something like 5kg.

edit- the Quantas site says 23kg is the free maximum, is 20kg the Aer Lingus limit?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0801/aerlingus.html

Only 8 quid per additional with AL, at least at the time that story was posted. Dfine "checked in" baggage, does that mean stuff going in the hold?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

shane86 wrote: »
    Define "checked in" baggage, does that mean stuff going in the hold?

checked in baggage is the baggage you check in
    so yes the hold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Is it not two bags of 20kg?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I think you can take 2 bags but the maximum weight between the two of them can't be more than 20kg.

Hand baggage (that you take on the plane with you) can be up to 5kg i think though they rarely weigh it so you could probably get away with more.

Also I was travelling recently and my bag was nearly 30kg. I was willing to pay for the excess but the airline wouldn't let any bags over 27kg on board. Maybe call Quantas.Aer Lingus yourself to see what the full story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Each airline will vary with limits for checked and hand baggage. Its presumably cheaper with Aer Lingus because of a shorter distance.
    I was willing to pay for the excess but the airline wouldn't let any bags over 27kg on board.
    Thats a per bag limit to prevent the baggage handlers injuring themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Just to clarify its 20KG PER Bag , with a 2 bag allowance per person. So 40kg's total over 2 bags. Thats what I had with Quantas anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you fly west and go by America you have a better baggage allowance. 40kg I think.
    Not sure if you need to fly with an American airline though :-/

Advertisement