Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A suit for work, where's my tailor?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Working in a Dublin office and seeing as I walk to work I do wear runners in work. Poor form I know and I've been told to start dressing in business wear from now on.
    Plus before I did wear a shirt, tie & jumper in work but I'm told I need a suit to meet clients.

Where my friends can I buy a suit (or two?) in Dublin? Best mensware have had sales for as long as I can remember. And I know TK Maxx sell quality suits at a good price.

But I need a tailor or somewhere good. Any recommendations?
    Many thanks :) (and I've not seen this thread in this forum before)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Really does depend on your budget. I'd say it might be best to try the fashion forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I didn't even know there was a fashion forum here :o
    If a mod wants to move this thread, that's fine by me

Was looking for a Dublin answer though and I think I can get an answer in this helpful forum

Budget: 200 euro max for suit and maybe a few ties and shirts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

mikemac wrote: »

Budget: 300 euro max for suit and maybe a few ties and shirts

With that budget I can highly recommend a tailor shop that has quite a few branches in Dublin. It's called The St Vincent De Paul :D

Harsh!!
    You're telling me I can't get outfitted for 200 euro?
    Roll on the recession I say. The tailors will be begging for my business :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Your job is telling you do wear "business clothes"? Are they paying for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Marks and Spencer have a good selection of reasonably priced, good quality suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Your job is telling you do wear "business clothes"? Are they paying for them?

Ah, they don't have too. A company can tell you to wear business clothes if they like.

OP, you're not going to get a tailored suit for €300. Quadruple it and you can see a tailor.

For €300 you're going to M&S or similar places. If you want a decent suit, you'll want about €500 or more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Budget: 200 euro max for suit and maybe a few ties and shirts

You won't get a tailor for that.
    In the event that you get some money and want a proper tailor, there is Louis Copeland on Capel Street and a guy whose name I can't remember further up Capel Street (towards Bolton Street) - the guys in Copeland's will give you his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Places like Burton and Topman do fine quality suits, shirts, ties and shoes at good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Tons of threads on the fashion forum about suits, affordable or otherwise, OP. Just do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Harsh!!
    I was talking to my tailor this weekend and he told me that his business is still booming, no rescession in sight for him or for his clients (except for me of course).

Come over to the fashion forum whre there will be a whole raft of users telling you how to find/buy/style/accessorize/clean/mend/alter a suit. A quick thread search (no put intended...oh what the hell I intended it!) will give you lots to read and then if you have any particular questions feel free to ask there.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Harsh!!

Thats an incredible off the cuff comment when it seams you don't understand
    how these things are patterned.

You have to learn to cut your cloth according to what you can afford and
    your pockets aren't deep enough for bespoke tailoring or for a reasonable
    suit with adjustments.

While clothes don't make the man and ill fitting suit screams out to those who
    know mens wear and will not be comfortable for you to wear day in day out
    and you will need two for when accidents happen and one has to be dry cleaned.

Think on them as investments for your career and while an off the peg suit
    may tide you over you are better off saving up and upgrading when you can.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Thats an incredible off the cuff comment when it seams you don't understand
    how these things are patterned.

You have to learn to cut your cloth according to what you can afford and
    your pockets aren't deep enough for bespoke tailoring or for a reasonable
    suit with adjustments.
    That kinda puts my one little 'thread' pun in shame. :D

I got well and truely shown up on this thread :(
    I had no idea they were so expensive, seems everyone knew but me

I honestly had never heard of the fashion forum. I will stroll over there now, probably best to lock this thread, thank you all

I got well and truely shown up on this thread :(
    No Mike, you've just taken your first step into the murky depths of satorial elegance. :)

It's just a learning curve and a lot of people don't wear suits to work. :D

There used to be a time that a young man would get taken by his father
    to get his first suit and while clothing for a lot of people is a lot more casual and
    shirts and slacks will cut it there is a point where you move beyond that.

And some of just can't help our selves when it comes to puns as they can have us in stitches.

OldGoat you pulled at the thread and now look, the whole thing has become unraveled. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Just wear runners on your way to work and throw on a shoes in work, bring them in in a bag. Zara, M&S, TopMan all grand for suits, TK Maxx cheap for designer ones - good for ties too, not so good for shirts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I honestly had never heard of the fashion forum. I will stroll over there now,

Did you get sorted over there or made ghey?

humberklog wrote: »
    Did you get sorted over there or made ghey?
    I'm sure that somewhere around here we could find a nice pink mesh top and a pair of leather chaps for you Humberklog. I know you have the chutzpah to wear such an ensemble with the most hetro-ic sense of grace and style. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

OldGoat wrote: »
    I'm sure that somewhere around here we could find a nice pink mesh top and a pair of leather chaps for you Humberklog. I know you have the chutzpah to wear such an ensemble with the most hetro-ic sense of grace and style. :D

I was only giving such attire a stretch out today at the 40foot. A dandy indeed.

OldGoat wrote: »

Just because a person is into fetish wear, that doesn't make then gay or ghey :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sillysasauge

I got a real slick suit in marks and spencers for 300 euro, I always get asked where I brought it and people look surprised when I tell them, lols.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Just because a person is into fetish wear, that doesn't make then gay or ghey :P

Exactly. It is possible to care about your appearance without being seen as ghey. It is possible for men to wear pink and still maintain their machismo. The clothing dosen't make the man... :)
    I would hazard a guess that most women here will admit to prefering a man who cares for his appearance.
    I know it works for me :cool::o

I got a real slick suit in marks and spencers for 300 euro, I always get asked where I brought it and people look surprised when I tell them, lols.
    You must be one of the lucky people who fit off the peg suits. I envy you for that. For the rest of us all we can do is either get bespoke or buy a best fit and get it altered.

Advertisement