Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bmxing..

• 16-02-2009 5:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Over the last week or so.. splitting into two threads as ive 7 images.. only 4 images per post..

Tailwhip on flatground..
    3270511384_7f8e50d1fb.jpg

over toothpick/icepick im not sure which one it is..
    3273261388_4132164e89.jpg

I think its called nose bonk whip.. I really dont have a clue when it comes to bmx tricks.. :rolleyes:
    3272442803_bf777c7ffb.jpg

Would be great if you could view them larger as having them small just looks terrible..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazftw/

I don't really know how to shoot bmx photos properly.. im coming from a skateboarding point of view.. just say what you think I suppose.. I hate seeing threads with over a 100 views and like 2 replies.. Even if you hate the pictures.. it will still help!

Thanks!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sweet pics!!!

Inspires me to really get back riding my bmx and start taking some cool pics!!

Though the guy looks a little lost in the 1st pic. I think you need to crop that a bit more. Too many distractions in that pic, especially that out of focus bar to the right of the pic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Would echo pretty much what af_thefragile has said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Daylight to me would dictate being closer whereas the other shots you have done that were just getting dark and get away with being further away. As af says above they are a bit lost in the shots with so many distractions going on around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

The rider does look lost. When I shoot bmx, I try to make an interesting shot, regardless of whether the rider is in the shot or not. I don't always succeed.
    The shots themselves I think would be more interesting without the bmxer. One thing to remember with skate and BMX shots is that it on the whole, they tricks are only appealign to a smaller audience who understand/appreciate them. It's also difficult for a photographer to shoot something that they aren't 100% familiar with or comfortable with. Your skating shots are defnitly better than the bmx ones I think.

The 1st shot of the "Whopper" or hop whips are hard to capture if they are on the flat and can look ugly if peoples pegs areall over the place...its sort of like shooting a 180 or 360....a still shot doesn't really do it justice.

The 2nd pic I think your too loosely cropped from the subject and probably caught it a little too late as it looks like he's coming out of the trick. It's a tad dark too but I'm sure thats the harsh low sun causing alot of that too.

The footjam whip on the 3rd shot is another hard trick to shoot to do it justice. There are several tricks I pretty much don't/won't shoot of people riding bikes. Footjam whips would be one of them, 360's/180's unless its down a big set of steps or a drop off t show it in context) are some of them.

My philosophy is that a good photo of an average trick will get more attention and look better than an amazing trick captured in a bland looking photo, if that smakes sense???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^That is quite true i shall say.

A simple tailwhip or a 180 or superman or something will create a much more exciting picture than a more complicated trick...
    Can leave the complicated stuff for the videos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah im really just shooting in the dark basically.. I never flip through a bmx magazine or anything.

I reckon I could do better outside of a skatepark..

Just DON'T look thru surf magazines....it'll make you want extremely expensive kit you don't need and don't want...other than just having them. I've banned myself from surf magazines....the photography in them is usually fantastic....the only thing I cthat competes with it to are Calina's Kitesurfing shots and I know/think she hasn't spent the same amount on kit as they have and still priduces fantastic results....resist!
    dazftw wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah im really just shooting in the dark basically.. I never flip through a bmx magazine or anything.

I reckon I could do better outside of a skatepark..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

pete4130 wrote: »
    Just DON'T look thru surf magazines....it'll make you want extremely expensive kit you don't need and don't want...other than just having them. I've banned myself from surf magazines....the photography in them is usually fantastic....the only thing I cthat competes with it to are Calina's Kitesurfing shots and I know/think she hasn't spent the same amount on kit as they have and still priduces fantastic results....resist!

I have all my kit now.. no more buying for me haha. I do enjoy the ole surf magazine though as I surf myself or try to atleast.. Some mad photos..

I have to get new adapters for my pocket wizards though as I think the ones I have now are the reasons im getting so many misfires.. I think I paid like 2 euro for my ones :cool:

I got my last short cables for PW's thru this site. I'I think he does alot of accessories for PW's. I'd totally recommend him. cheap enough for me at the time and fast shipping.
    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/

Advertisement