Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Problem

Options
  • 16-02-2009 5:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi Everybody,

Have been reading this forum for a while now and I've found it very helpful! Im in Perth at the moment trying to get my feet on the ground. Unfortunately I've been a clumsy b***** along the way and I've lost my passport. I've contacted the Irish embassy in Canberra and asked them to send me a replacement passport form. They claim that this whole process could take anywhere from 4 -6 weeks.

This is going to cause me a lot of headaches as most hostels in and around Perth require a passport in order to let you stay. I've tried quite a few and it seems to be the same in most decent places. The hostel I'm staying in now is a dive and I don't fancy staying there for the guts of two months.

Another problem is employment; I have an interview lined up tomorrow and a few other offers coming through and I'm wondering will it be possible for me to be employed and payed without my passport. I still have the passport number and I also have other photo ID.

Just wondering has anybody been through this before or does anybody have any advice on this one??? Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Number_8 wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,

Have been reading this forum for a while now and I've found it very helpful! Im in Perth at the moment trying to get my feet on the ground. Unfortunately I've been a clumsy b***** along the way and I've lost my passport. I've contacted the Irish embassy in Canberra and asked them to send me a replacement passport form. They claim that this whole process could take anywhere from 4 -6 weeks.

This is going to cause me a lot of headaches as most hostels in and around Perth require a passport in order to let you stay. I've tried quite a few and it seems to be the same in most decent places. The hostel I'm staying in now is a dive and I don't fancy staying there for the guts of two months.

Another problem is employment; I have an interview lined up tomorrow and a few other offers coming through and I'm wondering will it be possible for me to be employed and payed without my passport. I still have the passport number and I also have other photo ID.

Just wondering has anybody been through this before or does anybody have any advice on this one??? Any help appreciated

Pay extra for Express ?
    Or possibly explain to the hostels your situation, I'd be nearly certain they have dealt with it before.

You can be employed and paid yes, it's not your passport but your visa they need proof of, which is in your passport - you might be able to get something from the Visa department saying you can work - or your visa number etc, I would suggest contact them directly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Do you have a drivers licence? I'd say most hostels would be accept your DL if you explain that you lost you passport and that a replacement is on the way.

As for employment, I've never had an employer ask me for my passport, or a copy of it. VISA yes, possport no. Shouldn't be problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Number_8

Thanks Hussey,

The hostels are taking a hard line on this, I've managed to talk my way into pubs and clubs when asked for a passport but the hostels are having none of it. The office in canberra claim that I can only get an express passport service if I'm planning to travel, I doubt lying would be a good option there. Hopefully the passport number will be enough for any employer, I'll get on to the department of Immigration and hopefully they can provide a visa number, USIT didnt really give me any stand alone document for it since it was electronically tagged - unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You can always change your mind about travelling - after getting the express passport!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

Number_8 wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,
    I've contacted the Irish embassy in Canberra and asked them to send me a replacement passport form. They claim that this whole process could take anywhere from 4 -6 weeks.

I got a new passport here last year, think it only took about 2 or 3 weeks tops, if even. Have you asked if they can send you some sort of temporary passport with evidence of your visa etc? They must be able to do something to help you if you make out you have absolutely no other form of I.D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Number_8

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I've managed to track down my visa number and the prospect that this might take 2 or 3 weeks instead of 6 is promising. I just have to get someone to fax my birthcert from the local cop shop to the embassy, fingers crossed it all works out.

Advertisement