Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the CT Forum in Hosted?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 8:33am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

As the title says

there have been a few threads in the Conspiracy Theory Forum discussing this question.

some of the regular posters fell that it would be more appropriate that the forum be listed under Soc, or at the least Rec.

there seems to be a vibe at the moment that because it is a hosted Forum it is not a 'Real' part of boards.

So, Why is the CT Forum in Hosted?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shhhhh no its not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If we told you we would have to kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Isuppose you'd have to look at the history of how the forum came about to discover why it started as a Hosted Forum. As to why its still a hosted forum? Has anyone actually asked the powers-that-be if it could be moved?

Here is the thread that suggested it:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281937

I see Cloud created the forum and said "Hosted forum added. What the hell." - there was no publicly made indication as to why this was made a hosted forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It was probably for plausible deniability purposes in case the men in the black helicopters came!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The Hosted Category is like the 'grassy knoll' of boards.

<aside>Wouldn't it cool if there was a mod called Grassy Noel in CT?</aside>

Dades wrote: »
    <aside>Wouldn't it cool if there was a mod called Grassy Noel in CT?</aside>

Yes it would

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

there seems to be a vibe at the moment that because it is a hosted Forum it is not a 'Real' part of boards.

It isn't a 'real' part of boards if it's a hosted forum afaik. It's not a vibe but a fact.

We would probably need to ask Cloud but did the forum start elsewhere on the interwebs before joining Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I wonder if it is anything to do with the fact that it is not really considered a bastion of intelligent, enlightened and lucid debate?

Or is it because it is full of crackpots, crazies and the occasional wackjob?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

6th wrote: »
    Here is the thread that suggested it:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=281937

I see Cloud created the forum and said "Hosted forum added. What the hell." - there was no publicly made indication as to why this was made a hosted forum.
    If you think Cloud explains his actions publically or privately when he does stuff, you havent been here long enough :)

It was created under Hosted probably because there wasnt an obvious place for it or someone requested it with a specific idea behind it and its more our "way" to use hosted for that sort of thing.

To be honest, I dont have any issue whatsoever about putting it under somewhere else. Soc might be best, Rec is for recreation and while I'm sure some people find it fun to make up conspiracy theories its probably more a Rec thing.

I'll give it some thought but opinions are welcome...

DeV.
    ps: we often incubate forums in the Hosted area before moving them into the site "proper"... its not a slight on the forum by any means. Of course, I would say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I see a sh!t cover of Time Magazine :/

Meh, if CT is active enough, it should be moved over Rec or Soc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The answer is in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DeVore wrote: »
    If you think Cloud explains his actions publically or privately when he does stuff, you havent been here long enough :)
    It would ruin the conspiracy :shiftyeyes:

Could go under Soc where Politics and Economics are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sub-forum in Creative Writing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

DeVore wrote: »
    There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what Cloud does and why he does it, he will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sub-forum in Creative Writing?
    You could stick the entire religion and spirituality section there while you're at it.

Rb wrote: »
    You could stick the entire religion and spirituality section there while you're at it.
    Loool, just got an infraction from asiaprod over this post.

What a fucking joke this site is becoming.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Loool, just got an infraction from asiaprod over this post.

Looks like whatever the admins intended this site to become it's slipping from them. Silly smod modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

You are correct, I mad a hasty choice there, apologies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I assumed the infraction was for not exempting the A&A forum from the proposed move of the spirituality crowd! Harsh but fair!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Maybe you could ring Joe Duffy. Or maybe stop using the site?

Ponster wrote: »
    Looks like whatever the admins intended this site to become it's slipping from them. Silly smod modding.
    Asiaprod wrote: »
    You are correct, I mad a hasty choice there, apologies.

No problem Asiaprod, I've found you quite reasonable in the past so was a bit surprised to see such a BS infraction handed out by you.

With that being said, there does seem to be a lot of firing from the hip lately which is unfortunate.
    Dades wrote: »
    I assumed the infraction was for not exempting the A&A forum from the proposed move of the spirituality crowd! Harsh but fair!
    :pac:
    cornbb wrote: »
    Maybe you could ring Joe Duffy. Or maybe stop using the site?

Ah Cornbb, always quick to try and get a dig in at me and always in favour of the site. I just hope they're paying you for the seemingly near constant BJs and ego strokes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Best to keep all the nutbars in the one place and shift it off to the side of boards.

Ah RB, we all know eachother well enough at this stage ....

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

With that being said, there does seem to be a lot of firing from the hip lately which is unfortunate.
    Firstly, you're right, there is a lot of firing from the hip recently. That can be explained by way of the fact that so many new mods have been added and they're just getting used to the paradigm. It's not shifting, it's just adjusting for the site's expansion and with that there's going to be a few mishaps.

Secondly, maybe if you didn't say things that walk the line so often, you wouldn't be in firing range? I'm not suggesting you change your posting style because that's you, I'm just saying that you're the type of poster who's likely to fall afoul of a hair-trigger response where it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

also seems to be a lot of personalisation going around as well.

It's just a few new mods and smods trying to do the right thing by the site, and therefore, by extension, all of us. The odd little bit of slack here and there wouldn't go amiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

A guy with RH- blood who came into our ER told me that when the forum was created there was some concern over the information contained within and how it may turn the tide of Obama's future (now past) election campaign which may in turn have had a ripple effect which would uncover martian conspiracies, debunk the moon landing, release the truth about 911 and jeopardize the blood ceremony required by Obama to summon the spirit of the antichrist into him. The RH- blood is actually alien blood which allowed him to see the world for what it really is.

So, Obama's Zionist shadow government took Cloud on a small trip in a limo after which Cloud decided to create the forum in Hosted. The Zionists then raised the level of sodium fluoride in our drinking water, which acts as a catalyst for their memory suppression drug (obtained from the martians) so that...ermm...ehhh....ahh... erm I forget, what was I saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You were gonna give us new info about the JFK assassination - carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Soc is probably better as conspiracies are presumably something that is not of a recreational nature, but that may impinge upon our lives and rights on a day to day, societal level. Or create a new sub forum in Region called Extraplanetary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement