Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the CT Forum in Hosted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Kharn wrote: »
    (not directed at anyone in particular, just feel it should be said)

I don't understand the need to belittle people with a different view point. Boardsies are free to post within the topic of a board and should not have to be worried about "outsiders" coming in and insulting them for that. This very important concept holds true for the religious and spiritual boards, the S&S board, the Pro Wrestling board etc and should also be the same for CT.

I'm surprised Pro Wrestling wasn't moved to the moon actually :p
    DeVore wrote: »
    What Kharn said. ffs, we have a "psychics" forum now. I HATE the idea of psychics, but thats just me and this isnt DeVoards.ie *

Dont like it, dont look at it.

DeV.

*thats going to come back and bite me isnt it. :^/

From your IRC conversation with Cloud :
    16;56) (dev) you there?
    (16;56) (Cloud-Warrior) lo
    (16;58) (dev) so I got to thinking.
    (16;58) (dev) why not do
    (16;58) (dev) www.boards.ie
    (16;58) (dev) and just slowly build a site of general stuff
    (16;58) (Cloud-Warrior) and how would you get that url then?
    (16;58) (dev) well not even a site
    (16;58) (dev) watch me ;)
    (16;58) (Cloud-Warrior) you'd need a company or trademark ;/
    (16;58) (dev) watch me ;)
    (16;58) (Cloud-Warrior) i have boards.ign.ie
    (16;58) (Cloud-Warrior) ;-)
    (16;59) (dev) yah but boards.ign is still games related
    (16;59) (Cloud-Warrior) Yep
    (16;59) (dev) im talking about general boards
    (16;59) (Cloud-Warrior) Yeah the technology ones etc.
    (16;59) (dev) noooo
    (16;59) (dev) ;)
    (16;59) (dev) like baby discussions
    (16;59) (dev) cars
    (16;59) (dev) footie
    (16;59) (Cloud-Warrior) Heheh!  Sports!
    (16;59) (dev) whatever
    (16;59) (dev) start it out as a cult corner thing
    (17;00) (dev) let it grow
    (17;00) (Cloud-Warrior) So you're talking a standalone site then
    (17;00) (dev) yah
    (17;00) (dev) low maintenance, high volume
    (17;00) (dev) just the boards
    (17;00) (dev) no "site" as such

It was one helluva brainstorm you had :)
    I'd be interested in DeVoards.ie though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Diogenes wrote: »
    Why does it need to be moved? Whats wrong with were it currently is?
    Can't stay in the same place for too long, man.

What Kharn said. ffs, we have a "psychics" forum now. I HATE the idea of psychics, but thats just me and this isnt DeVoards.ie *

Dont like it, dont look at it.

DeV.

*thats going to come back and bite me isnt it. :^/
    Indeed. Off the top of my head I can think of two people who who will save this for a later date.

This made me laugh:
    (17;00) (dev) low maintenance, high volume

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭free-man

I'd be up for it moving to Soc with the following caveats.

Strict moderation at the start - on BOTH sides, no snipes allowed on BOTH sides.

TBH there's no way to separate out the tin foil hat stuff from the issues that are described as 'conspiracies' but actually very relevant to modern life.

But yes I think if you got intelligent contribution and it was placed in Soc it could be a rather active forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

free-man wrote: »
    Strict moderation at the start - on BOTH sides, no snipes allowed on BOTH sides.
    Easier said than done.

What constitutes sniping?

If a believer refers to "sheeple", is that sniping? It does, after all, implicitly include (at least some of) the non-believers who would be active on the forum.

Similarly, if I refer to "believer", am I sniping?

What about if we ban all such terms, but someone finds my posting style aloof and/or condescending - something which happens all to regularly. If someone asks a question, for example, which shows an ignorance of the scientific method, am I sniping by pointing out why they don't understand it?

Are they sniping if they, in turn, accuse me of belittling them with my tone?

*Is my use of the word "ignorance" sniping, even though I would maintain that ignorance (being the lack of knowldge) can be cured whereas stupidity is terminal?

I agree fully that a hard line needs to be taken, but sometimes, people are just too easily offended. Other people (either / both sides) are quick to assume an agenda based on the beliefs of those censured. Ban someone from either side...and its because you're trying to suppress their point of view.

The reality is that Conspiracy Theories tend to polarize anyone who's interested in discussing them. Its very rare to find someone interested in the discussions who doesn't take one side or the other....or indeed who doesn't consistently take one side or the other.

So you can't really ban sniping...merely keep it from getting completely out of hand. Of course some would say that this gives people who can find polite ways to be insulting an unfair advantage. Others would say that those with greater verbal flexibility will always have such an advantage in a discussion.
    But yes I think if you got intelligent contribution and it was placed in Soc it could be a rather active forum ;)
    It is an active forum. I don't know whether moving it would make it more or less active.

For now, I'm interested in moderating the forum...and in improving the state its in. I don't really care where it is.

bonkey wrote: »
    I agree fully that a hard line needs to be taken, but sometimes, people are just too easily offended. .

For my 2cents that's something that's seen all across this site. "He called me names :( I'm reporting him, waahwaahwahh"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Has anyone seen the new Futurama?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

For what it's worth, in my opinion (which isn't actually worth anything) the forum should be moved to Soc. There's no major problem with where it is, though it is a little tucked away though as was said above, people tend to only know it's there if there's a new post on the front page. In Soc it'd be more visible. Plus, it doesn't really fit in the Hosted Forum category, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I dont think its a case of more traffic just that the community want it to be a part of Boards.

The natives are getting restless ......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

6th wrote: »

The natives are getting restless ......

:P wait for it. . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm glad someone got it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Could I perhaps echo bonkey's comments about users who post on the forum. Very few people approach everything with an open mind. I'd be as useful a Mod on conspiracy theories, as JC would be on Christianity (it's a marginally obscure joke). I'd never forward myself as mod, I know I'm unsuitable, but by the same venture, I'm about as ill qualified as a certain ex mod of the forum, at least I have the honesty to admit that.

I think theres no reason to change the forum, essentially because the only reason it is raised is because a small group of posters feel they will be validated by the move*) but if the forum is going to go to Soc could I suggest Nick Oliveri as a potential mod. Pretty much constantly polite, open minded, and man enough to (eventually) admit that he was wrong, he stands with a foot in both worlds, and constantly appeals for civility.

*The irony of a group of people interesting discuss a giant conspiracy that will stop at nothing to kill anyone who exposes them, and these posters want to expose themselves to greater public scrutiny**

** It's pointing out paradoxes like this that make me unpopular on the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Diogenes wrote: »
    could I suggest Nick Oliveri as a potential mod. Pretty much constantly polite, open minded, and man enough to (eventually) admit that he was wrong, he stands with a foot in both worlds, and constantly appeals for civility.
    Firsty, im very touched, I nearly died! :o I think its great that you actually still care in your own funky way about the forum, even though you can be a little bit emotional? (im being light :pac:) sometimes. I even missed you for a period of time when you werent posting, its hard to be in the middle or both worlds you know.

Secondly no, I grow tired of posts such as you have quoted earlier, its gone wayyy downhill lately. And id crack up, fair play to Bonkey and i dont really know what happened to Mahatma fully, nor do i care to discuss it here and start ****e again, but he did take a good bit of sctick on the chin. Again i dont know what happened. Lads, dont quote this, i know ye want to...

Its just constant "me against them" mentality on both sides and I wont do it.
    And im not sure who to suggest at this point. (sorry) Bring amp back?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Every time I read that irc script I feel cleverer then I really am. :)

Look, we'll move the forum, thats not a problem, its a good idea. It will take some time.

I r very drunk. I just thought you should be aware of that.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Look, we'll move the forum, thats not a problem, its a good idea. It will take some time.

DeV.
    Lay off them jagerbombs :P

DeV.

There should be some sort of special "I am drunk button" for Admin and Mods just in case you go doing wacky things like moving threads from CT into PI or something:p

Gmail has a drunk filter.

http://www.spike.com/blog/gmail-now-available/69339

I think boards should implement something similar.