Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help need drilling

Options
  • 16-02-2009 9:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi

I am currently putiing some sockets into my kitchens breafeast counter and have some difficult drilling some of the holes The kitchen is ythe usual compress chip board material and solid wood door. I am currenlty used a wood bit to drill the compress chip board material and it difficult work. The bit get very hot and start to burn. What kind of a bit should i used and is there and trick or tecknique that I should be using

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Johnnyr

Try using an auger drill bit. They come in large sizes and should do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I know it sounds silly, but is the drill running the correct direction? Is it reversible?

Which bit are you using?

Most drills should fly through MDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

MDF more abravise on drill bits than timber is. This is the type of thing that a pro uses but unless you need to drill MDF a lot, it's probably not worth it. So i would use a tungsten carbide bit for drilling MDF normally.
    What size of hole are you drilling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

class thread title. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 odonoso

Thanks for the replys
    I am drilling a 22mm hole

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

odonoso wrote: »
    I am drilling a 22mm hole
    bahahahahaha
    Sorry

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I use these for drilling 22mm. I wasn't aware that MDF is more abrasive, but i've never encountered any problems myself.

P1010666.JPGLg6PcPowerWoodDrillBitSet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

delly wrote: »
    I use these for drilling 22mm. I wasn't aware that MDF is more abrasive, but i've never encountered any problems myself.

That's what i was thinking myself.... hence asking was the drill turning the correct direction.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Just be careful with the above spade or paddle drill bits. If you're cutting MDF they will tend to rip the plastic covering rather then cut it neatly. May not matter depending on whether or not the hole will be covered.

Advertisement