Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Wireless Broadband - any use?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I live in the Holywell area of Swords. My home is not wired for NTL at the moment and I was considering going with Digiweb's wireless broadband offering. The Carphone Warehouse are offering it for 30 quid per month and 130 for the modem. Does anyone know if this service is good and stable? Anyone live in or near Holywell with this?

Also I wanted to share the broadband to use on the Playstation, and also use p2p. can digiweb wireless do this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digiweb have about six different Wireless Technologies. Carphone Warehouse may be offering the MOBILE product. It's designed for Mobility. You need a specially supplied Router (no Retail router will work) to use it with PS or without a PCMCIA/Cardbus slot on a Laptop. Speed and latency can be fine if the signal is good and not too many people on the mast. Latency is about x3 to x6 better than O2/3/vodafone/Meteor Mobile as it is a different system. Because it is a Mobile solution if too many people move to the mast sector you are using or the signal is weak it will drop to ISDN speeds. It will have a lower Cap than fixed Broadband, so while P2P will work, it slows everyone down and uses a Mobile cap very quickly.

Digiweb Metro is the one best suited for Business and Domestic Fixed Broadband users wanting a similar service to Cable or DSL. The only restriction is the rolling cap. Too much upload & Download and the speed reduces. P2P uses UPLOAD and you must adjust your settings or the Upload will use up all your cap.

It works fine here in Limerick for PS2, vpn, VLC, Skype, YouTube, P2P.

P2P
    P2P is not blocked, but it is up to you to not exceed the FUP/Traffic limits (vary according to package) and be aware that the Internet is not anonymous and anyone can get a court order against any ISP if they believe you have damaged their interests (sue) or broken laws (prosecution). There is both legitimate and not P2P. No Irish ISP monitors content as it's impossible to tell if it's legitimate or not. Instead rights holders peer with those connecting to trackers to obtain your IP and date/Time. Similar applies to email scams, illegal image downloaders etc. All can be traced EXTERNAL to the ISP. Then with court order the appropriate agency can find out who you are.

Advertisement