Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jetland - why does no one shop there??

Options
  • 16-02-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

I am fairly new to Limerick and was shopping in both Dunnes in Jetland and Tesco in the Crescent at the weekend. You cannot compare the two. The range of items in Dunnes is far superior and shopping in Dunnes is a much more pleasant experience than Tesco.

I’m just wondering why no one shops there? Jetland is apparently the worst performing shopping centre in the country. With all the talk to Dunnes selling out to Asda and the possibility of store closures I am concerned that Jetland will close if more people stop going there. If Dunnes goes, what will happen the other businesses at Jetland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Out that part of the city you have the old Jetland with nothing else other than Ivans to compete with. Now they have Lidl/Aldi(cant remember) and Tesco. The area didnt really get any bigger during the boom so should have the same footfall but now the footfall has more choice.

I would personally shop in Dunnes before Tesco because Dunnes will have more offers.

Wallmart own Asda who are supposedly considering buying Dunnes which brings a different change in Dunnes Operation.

Tesco and Asda buy from a central warehouse and only electrical items, bread/milk etc get delivered locally. Dunnes gets everything delivered direct and the companies delivering direct to Dunnes do the packing and merchandising for free for Dunnes. Tesco do all of this themselves.

It would be a massive change for Dunnes and its suppliers. I got out of that game a few years back, supplying Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

i cant see dunnes selling up. Dunnes own most (if not all) of its stores. Selling now would mean a big hit as property is so low. They dont need to sell. If they want to get out, they will when property prices rise.. id say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

I live on the south side of town and travel accross town to shop at the Jetland Dunnes its easier to shop in wider aisles and better stock levels.

The childers road one is just awful before you even get me started on the parking which is under cover at the jetland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

What times do you shop there?, anytime i go its bloody full and takes 20+ mins to get through checkout queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Lunchtime on Saturday or Sunday normally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Slightly off topic but I`ve pretty much stopped shopping in Tesco, a few things that can`t be got in Lidl & Aldi I do get there though

I used to get clubcard vouchers in the post for 2.50, maybe 3.50. In the post the other day, I got 4 clubcard vouchers for €9.00:eek:, obviously trying to get me back in to shop.

I also noticed that Tesco now post the prices of similar products in Lidl & Aldi too.They must be feeling the pinch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

The Tesco's shops always look dirty to me - anyone else notice that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

Interestingly, I was in both The Crescent and Dunnes Jetland on Saturday.

Both my husband and myself remarked on how quiet the Crescent was compared to this time last year. Dunnes Jetland was very busy when we got there. Ironically, the addition of the new Lidl appears to have boosted business in Jetland, rather than taken from it. People are coming from other areas to shop in both.

Tesco in Coonagh appears to have an adhoc approach to stocking. There is no consistency in stock availability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

Casperbhoy wrote: »
    I also noticed that Tesco now post the prices of similar products in Lidl & Aldi too.They must be feeling the pinch

That appears selective. They will only post the prices that are lower in Tesco than Lidl and Aldi.

One of the recent surveys showed that Tesco prices are rising at a much higher rate than any of the other grocery chains.

Their exchange rate is also brutal. They've been silly enough to leave the STG prices on a lot of their clothing. And even with the "GREAT VALUE SALE" the prices are still dearer than the exchange rate.

Tesco are great for vegetarian ready meals. They have a much better range of meat free products. Dunnes appear to have a European approach - stick meat in everything, regardless of whether it needs to be or not. Tesco also have much better value in own-brand washing powder.

But other than the meat free ranges and the washing powder, I see very little reason for its existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

The Tesco's shops always look dirty to me - anyone else notice that?

Never noticed any dirt. I have has issues with the quality of some of the food from time to time.

The dates on scones being changed etc. You peel off one label & there is another underneath, not exactly fresh

• Advertisement

BeanieBaby wrote: »
    Tesco in Coonagh appears to have an adhoc approach to stocking. There is no consistency in stock availability.

Each Tesco has one person responsible for keeping adequate stock levels. Reps like myself(when I did it) used to go to Tesco auditing our stock. If something was off sale(not on the shelf) we would head up with our lists and find out if it is in the building. More often than not its out of stock or they couldnt be ar*sed ordering it which they are under contract to do so through buyer contracts.

Hence the incosistency of stock. Dunnes managers personally sign off each and every single order in the store which as a Rep is a pain in the As* but they have the choice of getting in promotions whereas the Tesco manager can only do what the head office tell him so if there is a local supplier doing amazing deals Dunnes get them and he does not.

Here is a lesser known snippet of information. Do you know the big ends in Dunnes where the best offers are(end of the aisles). They cost the supplier €250 per day to buy these ends from Dunnes. The side ends are free and at the managers discretion. Another thing Tesco cannot do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

slightly off topic but I was in birmingham at the weekend, u wouldnt belive how busy the shops were there, their vat reduction seems to have been a stroke of genius, the crowds were unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

II’m just wondering why no one shops there?

As much as I think it is a lovely store, it is just too big, especially if you have young children.

Try bringing your two young children there shopping. By the time you get through every aisle and to the checkout your children have turned into exhausted monsters making it an altogether painful experience.

It's easier to go to a smaller store and do the shopping in half the time.

Now, if I was lucky enough to do the groceries alone then Dunnes in the Jetland would be my first choice but unfortunately that ain't going to happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I live very close to Jetland and spend a good bit of time there and i've always found it to be fairly busy whenever i'm there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Elbi

The new tesco at the coonagh roundabout is a disaster, it looks messy and the isles arent stacked great. Definitely prefer the Jetland

Compared to other tesco's, the coonagh cross one is fairly tidy. Altho jetland is miles ahead.

Compared to other tesco's, the coonagh cross one is fairly tidy. Altho jetland is miles ahead.

When we(she) decides to go shopping during rush hour or Saturday/Sunday we will drive to Tesco in Nenagh. Its around the same distance for us and much different from the days of the crescent or arthurs quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Usually monday or thursdays but its never really manic there

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The only reason we would go to Dunnes in the Jetland centre is if it is raining hard, the underground car park is handy. Other than that I don't bother with the place.

Also noticed there are lots of pallet trucks and boxes left abandoned in the centre of the aisles, it's like an obstacle course at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Tesco is gone fair sheight though! Dunnes seems to have better stock levels, hence why I shop there and also my folks have started shopping there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Usually shop in Tesco Coonagh,actually left the place tonight mid shop because half the shelves were bare and there was no staff to be seen anywhere,decided we'd go to Jetland,place was closed,this was at 9:15pm...since when is it not 24 hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

jackncoke wrote: »
    Usually shop in Tesco Coonagh,actually left the place tonight mid shop because half the shelves were bare and there was no staff to be seen anywhere,decided we'd go to Jetland,place was closed,this was at 9:15pm...since when is it not 24 hour?
    For a couple months now its stopped being 24 Hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I shop at either Jetland or Superquinn in Castletroy each week. I like the layout of Dunnes in Jetland, its always well stocked and spotless.
    In terms of the original question I've never seen it empty or anything approaching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

betonit wrote: »
    i cant see dunnes selling up. Dunnes own most (if not all) of its stores. Selling now would mean a big hit as property is so low. They dont need to sell. If they want to get out, they will when property prices rise.. id say
    The Roche Family still owns all the stores where Roches operated, Debenhams just lease them. I see no reason Dunnes would not do this.
    The range of items in Dunnes is far superior and shopping in Dunnes is a much more pleasant experience than Tesco.

I’m just wondering why no one shops there?

I only ever saw it empty after 1am when it was 24 hour, that said low relative footfall is what makes the shopping experience better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I used to work in the Jetland Dunnes, and its just far too big and impersonal. The shopping centre as a whole is like a big aircraft hanger, and far too empty and spacious to have any soul or life to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

and its just far too big and impersonal

One man's meat is another one's poison...

I always felt the big airy feeling about the new Jetland lent it an air of spaciousness and gave it a nice open feeling.

Also, I'd say the customer staff are indeed helpful.

I had to return something last year for a relative which needed a bit of goodwill on their part and they were very nice about it.

I like shopping there ( as much as any man can like shopping for the groceries) and I find it a far nicer store than Tesco at Coonagh Cross .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

grenache wrote: »
    I used to work in the Jetland Dunnes, and its just far too big and impersonal. The shopping centre as a whole is like a big aircraft hanger, and far too empty and spacious to have any soul or life to it.

And now it'll be even more empty with Sasha and Golden Discs gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

anytime I got there and with 5 hungry adults it seems I'm there almost every day, its always busy. certainly more busy than Tesco Coonagh anyway. Don't like Tesco, range of foods/fruit/veg isn't as good and I always find it dirty too. There really isn't a market here for 24 hour shopping I feel. it might be different over in Dooradoyle with the shift workers from Raheen and the Hospital. The housing area of the north side hasn't changed much in many years. If that changed (the houses planned for Condel Road ever got built) things might change this side of the city of course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

I have to say, I will/would never shop in tesco/aldi or lidl for food ever again. I would only shop there if there was a good deal on car stuff or a bit of furniture or something handy and cheap - weighing scale or something. for food I'd go to dunnes or superquinn. Superquinn has gone fairly bad now with high prices and the food on the shelves are no better than anywhere else tbh. Where superquinn win is the butchery and deli. they are excellent. the rest of the shop is pretty crap though. Dunnes are good all round. I like the jetland shopping center but its miles away from me.

• Advertisement

The superquin bakery is well worth going to as well.

Advertisement