Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE announe 12mp multimedia phone: the "Idou"

• 16-02-2009 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

Link
    Sony Ericsson have just announced their very own multimedia monster - the Sony Ericsson Idou. It's pronounced 'I do' but Sony Ericsson say they will market the phone under a different name. In the meanwhile the heavily rumored Hikaru got its own announcement as well. Folks, meet the Idou

Sony Ericsson Idou

Enough teasing here's the scoop. Sony Ericsson have gone the whole nine yards with the camera of the Sony Ericsson Idou, they've given it a 12-megapixel camera with xenon flash and touch focus. The camera is hidden under a sliding cover.

No phone can truly call be a 'multimedia' device without the screen being awesome and it is the case with Idou. The touch screen is generous with its 3.5 inches and 16 million colors. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio (360 x 640 pixels) to emphasize that the phone is aimed at multimedia. 3G and Wi-Fi are on board so streaming content from the Internet won't be a problem.

Sony Ericsson Idou

The OS that the Sony Ericsson Idou will run on is a new user interface of the well-known Symbian OS based on the S60. That's the first implementation of the spanking new opens-source Symbian user interface developed by the Symbian Foundation.

Sony Ericsson traditionally have had good YouTube integration and with the Idou they would offer 16:9 aspect ratio and high-definition option.

The Sony Ericsson Idou also has integrated GPS receiver and with that big screen, it will make an excellent navigation device provided they give it proper software.

You would be rather surprised however that the Sony Ericsson Idou has a microSD memory card slot. That means that the manufacturer of the device is again not Sony Ericsson themselves - just as XPERIA X1.

12mp, wifi, gps, touchscreen, large lcd screen, slim design, s60 for starters? i think i know what i'll be buying in about a year.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Although it will be Sony Ericsson's first major foray into the touch-screen handset field, excluding the X1, a 12 Megapixel camera is complete overkill on a handset. I can understand why they've done it; the common consensus is that the more megapixels, the better the camera. I'm sure a lot of us here will know and understand why this is not true, but in the mind of the general consumer, all they see is numbers and the higher the number, the better, in their eyes, the product.

At least Sony Ericsson has continued the tradition of being at the forefront of mobile camera technology, however ridiculous that tradition may be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Ericsson and Sony Ericsson have had many touch screen phones.
    R380, P800, P900, P1 ( G700, G900, W960 and W950, half touch, half keypad)

Your right about the most consumers thinking more megapixels = better quality.
    People always think a bigger number means better like thinking a 100Hz telly give twice the resolution of a 50Hz telly.

I will be getting the Idou, or whatever SE call it, having the Xenon Flash, Symbian OS, GPS and WiFi is what I want in a phone.
    Just wish it had some optical Zoom, but you cant please everyone :-)

Advertisement