Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parsing Directories

Options
  • 16-02-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all,

If one were to create an application that would embed golden pages and your local websites into it, and using their directory categories I was able to scrape the data from the site, would this be legal, do you know?

For example, using the application and searching yourlocal for taxis in dublin, i would then gather the addresses, website and email addresses for said taxis, would this be ok to do: a) for private use b) to sell the application?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Hi,
    I've no experience of this what so ever but a quick scan of golden pages Terms and Conditions, pops up the following and there maybe more, as I didn't read it all.

Licence
    See 1.4 and 1.5

There is also stuff on intellectual property.
    I'd presume yourlocal.ie would have something similar.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I'd have pasted in 1.4 and 1.5 only I think they are the exact pieces of text that ban the copying of the content of the site :) Legal axe avoided or what! Sure have a look for yourself, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

Thanks all,

Much appreciated for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

IANAL but this is not a straightforward case I think.

If you compile lists (aggregate data in a certain form) that is publicly available elsewhere, I don't think you can copyright your newly compiled list.
    I am not sure about this here, it seems to me the data is not public and owned by Goldenpages (or is it? You could argue that your phone number + profession is NOT owned by Goldenpages?).

Also what happens if you manually view every page and type it into a new document? Compare this with for instance cases in America where you were not allowed to send a floppy with PGP encryption on it but you could publish the source code, type it in your computer and compile it.
    You could always hire a some people to type over a phonebook.

Another example is Ryanair's case where a screen scraper is scraping price information from Ryanair's website. I think the lawsuite is still going.

In many countries price information is public information. Makes sense in my opinion, you don't want a supplier that keeps its prices hidden.

In Holland there was a similar case against the incumbent KPN and I think the phone guide is public information because of it (this is years ago now, I don't know what the state is now)

Of course they can claim copyright on the website layout and code.

All I am saying is: really check a lawyer!

Advertisement