Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to standardise mobile chargers ** merged **

• 16-02-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

EC wants one mobile phone charger for all brands Saturday 14 February 2009

The European Commission plans to force mobile phone manufacturers to manufacture one mobile phone charger for all mobile phones, according the European Commissioner for Industry, Gunther Verheugen in an interview with the German international broadcaster Deutsche Welle. Verheugen said that his patience has been tested enough by the mobile phone industry, which was given several chances to develop one charger for all mobile phones, and he does not exclude severe measures to force the manufacturers to come with a solution. The main reason for his demand is trying to decrease the volume of electrical waste within Europe, which is become a major environmental problem. The current situation that requires users to purchase a new mobile charger with each new mobile phone has become unbearable according to Verheugen. In a reaction, the president of the European Information & Communications Technology Industry Association (EICTA), Tony Graziano, told Deutsche Welle that Verheugen's demand is legally and technically impossible to due differences in voltage and battery requirements within the European Union, although he acknowledged the increasing burden of mobile phone chargers on the environment. He also said that the industry is not likely to develop one charger for all brands. Verheugen also said that he rather sees the industry to develop such a charger voluntary, but warns that the EC has the legal and political means to force such development.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

They go after phone chargers, but do nothing about the grossly market-distorting practice of locking handsets to a single operator? Or the fact that operators charge vastly different prices for the exact same data service depending on whether you're using a mobile handset or a dongle?

Seriously... phone chargers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The phone charger thing isn't a bad idea. One thing that locks people to a handset manufacturer is the charger connection. This should have been standardised years ago IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Yeah - have to agree, this is not a bad idea.

Though the mobile industry should just sort it out themselves - imagine if all TV's came with a different plug/power supply etc?

Would make life much easier with car kits, chargers, travel etc.....

I don't see it changing my life though and there are other FAR more pressing items to be addressed :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

crawler wrote: »
    I don't see it changing my life though and there are other FAR more pressing items to be addressed :)

This is an environmental and not an Information society or competition issue . As such it is entirely fair .

Bet you have used nothing but Nokias for 10 years anyway ....just like anyone else who likes standardisation :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This is an environmental and not an Information society or competition issue . As such it is entirely fair .

Bet you have used nothing but Nokias for 10 years anyway ....just like anyone else who likes standardisation :p

Well even Nokia changed their adapters 2 or 3 years ago.

While the EU is "at it" they could get them all to use standard earphone sockets too:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Thraktor wrote: »
    They go after phone chargers, but do nothing [1] about the grossly market-distorting practice of locking handsets to a single operator? Or the fact that operators charge vastly different prices for the [2] exact same data service depending on whether you're using a mobile handset or a dongle?

Seriously... phone chargers?

[1] Because the handsets are subsidized. Kill handset subsidy and it increases innovation (manufacturers not locked to operators), makes outlawing locking to operator trivial and reduces waste (pointless upgrades).

[2] Because you can't use much data with an untethered phone. A modem only package could use 800x the data of an untethered handset. Modem Data packages are actually subsidized by voice calls and ought to be x2 to x4 the price at least. They are artificially "competing" with real Fixed Broadband. Data on a phone without a specific Data Service subscription is madly expensive though. The user that wants occasional Maps/web/email on mobile without a specific package is horribly penalised.

A wide range of phones and gadgets could use same charger, and I have chargers with clip-on "pin part" that work almost anywhere.

But like laptops one type can't work all. Especially larger premium performance devices.
    • Different battery capacities
    • Different battery technologies
    • Need for car, speaker or GPS docks
    • Cheap charger takes 8 hrs, expensive model takes 30minutes for same capacity battery.
    The EU will not / should not win on this one despite the superficial attractiveness. They could mandate a range of connectors on the charger end (for different voltages and powers) and the gadget comes with double ended cable.
    Common variants really really needed shows how daft this is
    5V 100mA
    5V 500mA
    5V 1000mA
    9V 100mA
    9V 300mA
    9V 700mA
    Following unlikely on Phones:
    12V V 100mA
    12V 600mA
    12V 1000mA

Laptops/MIDs/NetTablets can be anything from 15W to 150W and 9V to 24V
    Even "full" laptops are 12V to 24V and 45W to 150W

A one fits all PSU is not practical without a lot of wasted materials/cost and power for smaller phones/gadgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

watty wrote: »
    [1] Because the handsets are subsidized. Kill handset subsidy and it increases innovation (manufacturers not locked to operators), makes outlawing locking to operator trivial and reduces waste (pointless upgrades).

Getting rid of handset subsidies is certainly one way of going about it, but to be honest I'd expect far too much resistance from industry for a regulator (especially on an EU-wide level) to actually try it. Banning network-locks and handset exclusivity agreements would at least mean that pre-pay customers would find it much easier to shop around for both operators and handsets, and would come under relatively little opposition from the industry. I'd certainly like to see a complete decoupling of handset sales from the network operators themselves, but there are even small steps in that direction that regulators don't seem willing to take.
    [2] Because you can't use much data with an untethered phone. A modem only package could use 800x the data of an untethered handset. Modem Data packages are actually subsidized by voice calls and ought to be x2 to x4 the price at least. They are artificially "competing" with real Fixed Broadband. Data on a phone without a specific Data Service subscription is madly expensive though. The user that wants occasional Maps/web/email on mobile without a specific package is horribly penalised.

I'm on the "occasional Maps/web/email on mobile" end of the spectrum, so you might see why I'd be annoyed.

Wrong :) SB, No points!

LG currently, prior to that Sony E, prior to that Motorola, Only Nokia was ones I was given in work :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ah well Bugger so . I was sure you were a standards based guy !

I remember an effort or two to standardise laptop batteries that came to nowt about 8 years ago and again 3 years ago

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/08/7579.ars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Common variants really really needed shows how daft this is
    5V 100mA
    5V 500mA
    5V 1000mA
    9V 100mA
    9V 300mA
    9V 700mA
    Following unlikely on Phones:
    12V V 100mA
    12V 600mA
    12V 1000mA

I assume that most people think that their power supplies are DC when a number of power supplies deliver AC too. Weird I know but I have a number of gadgets that use AC adaptors.
    (They aren't interchangeable in any way, shape or form)

• Advertisement

An AC adaptor lets you get a + and - voltage using two wires instead of 3. Optionally two voltages of each.

There are indeed some:
    Commonest AC voltages
    9V, 12V, 15V, 24V

Again currents vary from 100mA to 2A. But very rare on Mobile phones.

Ah well Bugger so . I was sure you were a standards based guy !

I remember an effort or two to standardise laptop batteries that came to nowt about 8 years ago and again 3 years ago

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/08/7579.ars

You know my mobile prefix SB - does it look to you that I follow the pack? :D

I only like standards when buying telco carrier gear, then it is vital, for consumer electronics - it's simply whatever is best, though I admit the Motorola phone was a disaster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thraktor wrote: »
    They go after phone chargers, but do nothing about the grossly market-distorting practice of locking handsets to a single operator? Or the fact that operators charge vastly different prices for the exact same data service depending on whether you're using a mobile handset or a dongle?
    You'd probably need to gripe at the competition commissioner for that. Verheugen, as the E&I commissioner, appears to be coming at this from the environmental point of view as Sb said.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/17/standard_charger/

Orange, Telefonica, Vodafone, 3, AT&T, mobilkom Austria, T-Mobile, Telenor Telstra, Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, LG and Sony Ericsson have agreed a Micro USB standard for all mobile phones.

It won't be all mobile phones. Just the ones that suit. 5V DC at max of 500mA accordin to traditional USB 2.0 standard
    180px-Types-usb_new.svg.png
    The Micro-USB connector was announced by the USB-IF on January 4, 2007 and the Mini-USB connectors were withdrawn.[11] As of February 2009[update], most available devices and cables still use Mini plugs, but the newer Micro connectors are becoming more widely adopted. The thinner Micro connectors are intended to replace the Mini plugs in new devices including smartphones and Personal digital assistants. The Micro plug design is rated for 10,000 connect-disconnect cycles. The Universal Serial Bus Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification details the mechanical characteristics of Micro-A plugs, Micro-AB receptacles, and Micro-B plugs and receptacles, along with a Standard-A receptacle to Micro-A plug adapter. The carrier led Open Mobile Terminal Platform (OMTP) group have recently endorsed micro-USB as the standard connector for data and power on mobile devices.[12] These include various types of battery chargers, allowing Micro-USB to be the single external cable link needed by some devices.

This is about saving money. Not "green" really. Phones will start shipping with no charger. Buy one or charge from PC/laptop.
    In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the USB specification. A host or hub charger can supply maximum 1.5A when communicating at low-speed or full-speed, maximum 900mA when communicating at hi-speed, no upper current limit when no communication is taking place. Dedicated charger can supply maximum 1.5A of current. A portable device can draw up to 1.8A from a dedicated charger. The dedicated charger shorts the D+ and D- pins together and will not send or receive any information on those lines, allowing for the creation of very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The increased current (faster charging) will occur once the host/hub and devices both support the new charging specification.

As of June 14, 2007, all new mobile phones applying for a license in China are required to use the USB port as a power port

If the gadget needs the 1.8A charging current, then a regular USB port will charge it more than 3x slower, or possibly not operate the gadget if battery flat. (if the gadget/phone takes more than 500mA it will only charge from PC/Laptop if off).

Content from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus
    (but it makes sense to me :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > Mobiles & PDAs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

they need to standardise the batteries as well. and like someone said get rid of this locking phones practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The world's biggest mobile phone makers and network operators have backed plans to create a universal phone recharger. Never really bothered me as I always had a Nokia. :)

The micro-USB connector will be used as the common charging interface. (Nintendo DS interface)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7894763.stm?lss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Already a thread on this mate!

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

and like someone said get rid of this locking phones practice

Unlocked phones are available, people just choose not to purchase them, preferring a cheaper subsidised locked phone. Why should the EU force people to buy the more expensive unlocked phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Two similiar threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

towel401 wrote: »
    they need to standardise the batteries as well.

That'd be very difficult because of all the different form factors of phones. It'd be like trying to make a pair of trousers that would fit everyone in the country

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It's fine the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would like the standard chargers idea myself but I guess life is about variety at the end of the day. It's hard to regulate everything and I really feel the design of mobile phone chargers is very low of the level of things wrong with the mobile industry in general.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That'd be very difficult because of all the different form factors of phones. It'd be like trying to make a pair of trousers that would fit everyone in the country

they can have a set of different sizes like AAA,AA,C,D,PP3

proprietary lithium batteries are bad news and probably responsible for a lot more e-waste than chargers. perfectly good phones being thrown away because the batteries are no longer made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

towel401 wrote: »
    they can have a set of different sizes like AAA,AA,C,D,PP3

proprietary lithium batteries are bad news and probably responsible for a lot more e-waste than chargers. perfectly good phones being thrown away because the batteries are no longer made

i can see what you're saying and from a conservation point of view it makes perfect sense but it would severely limit the design devices that could be manufactured. Mobiles are designed to optimise power for the form factor of the phone but if they have to use a standard size they either can't design a phone as small as they want or in the shape they want or they have to use a smaller battery and it dies in half the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Mobile phone companies have until the end of April to voluntarily standardise chargers or face new legislation to allow consumers to use the same charging device should they swap phones, the European Commission said

[Link]

Not long till the end of april

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

or face new legislation to allow consumers to use the same charging device should they swap phones

wait what

what happens when the USB society releases USB 4 with a different connector will they continue to use the old, standardised micro USB thing but just for charging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Baza210 wrote: »
    wait what

upgrade phone/ get a new one is what they mean i presume

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Davy wrote: »
    upgrade phone/ get a new one is what they mean i presume

I understand the implicit meaning of swap. I'm not so certain on how exactly legislation is suddenly going to make a Sony Ericsson charger charge a Nokia.

Advertisement