Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels.com - How much to replicate

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

jmcc wrote: »
    And this is the heart of the problem - not even the client knows exactly what they want. Until there is a spec it is all just conversation.

What's the problem?

He's looking for a "ROUGH and I mean ballpark figures".
    Of course it's just conversation and he's not looking for anything more than that.

So far he's got prices ranging from €40-500k - so now he has something to go back to the client with. Yop knows there are many other things to consider from feeds to concert tickets. So he will be able to now discuss this with his client and see if it's something he would like to pursue further.

The next stage is likely to be still "tyre kicking", but each step he takes will get closer to the final price and that will be based on many factors.

But is it up to the developers to work out the financial return on the project?

Of course not and I never said it was. You brought up the hardware issue and I was merely demonstrating that hardware shouldn't be an issue in getting a return on a small investment.
    Marketing should be part of the project but this would be moving too much towards a feasibility study and would involve a lot of work.

If he's looking at investment, then a feasibility study would be a good idea, but if it's his own money, going with his gut is probably enough for him. I know it would be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

This all depends on the intent of the original question. Was the client looking to replicate all of hotels.com functionality and scale, or was the client looking to replicate part of hotels.com functionality?

That is the difference between a €5k and a €500k website, and any figure in between.

I believe this could be done, profitably, by an Irish development team, for €5k, given a very minimalist, and completely inflexible, specification, and a minimalist (non-existant?) design. Apologies for all the provisios, but I'm sure I'd be asked ;)

In real terms I'm guessing the available project budget will end up being somewhere between €10k and €30k, yop, please get back to us on that :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

5k Trojan, that seems a little optimistic does it not? :)

I have returned my thoughts now to this guy, 10 hours later there is no response :)

We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Trojan wrote: »
    I believe this could be done, profitably, by an Irish development team, for €5k, given a very minimalist, and completely inflexible, specification, and a minimalist (non-existant?) design. Apologies for all the provisios, but I'm sure I'd be asked ;)

€5k would only cover an affiliate program site, such as one like IAN.com.
    The margins are quite low on these, so it will take longer to achieve any sort of success.

A good XML API feed will cost you anywhere from €10k-40k per annum!

So €5k is very optimistic.

Advertisement