Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hand reared Budgie

Options
  • 16-02-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Hello :)

I'm looking to get a hand reared budgie and wondering if anyone would know where I might get one?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

It's for me also...
    So we do have experience etc. if people are concerned. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If the budgie is gotten young it can be easily tamed so may not need to be a hand reared one although it also depends where you get the bird from.
    In general it's better for the bird to be reared by parents baby budgies are pretty easy to tame up if given a lot of time and attention.

That's just from my own experience and my aunts who's kept lone budgies for over 30 years they bond really well with the owner even if not hand reared.

Hi, I don't really agree awith that and I've kept birds for my entire life myself.

Yes well we can agree to disagree on that one so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Do you know of anyone who hand rears budgies GuineaPigRescue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 newtlover

get a nestling

about six weeks old

they are old enough to feed themselves

i had a nestling sit on my hand and in my pocket the day i brought it home

if you get a young budgie you can very quickly tame it

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

i dont think you'll have much of a chance finding a hand reared budgie, its not really done because they are so small and tame so easily anyway when they're young. the smallest hand reard birds easily found would be cockatiels?

Cos is right they can also be hard to come by hand reared and if you get them young enough they tame up nicely anyway, with any new bird though give the bird time to settle and get used to the new surroundings and be careful if changing brands of food as it can really upset their system to have new foods introduced.
    Check out zooplus.uk (not ie the uk one is cheaper) for cages or indoor aviarys as well best to get this so you have it on stand by before you get the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Thanks GPR - we have a parrot though, so I'm very well clued up on how to look after birds.

I've got about 12 or 15 spare cages inc feeders, food etc actually so no problems with accomodation.
    Wacker's on Long Mile Road had 2 hand reared budgies a few months ago so they do exist (I just wouldn't let my girlfriend buy a bird from them!!!)

I'll stop thread jacking now and leave it to the boss woman, the budgie project is her baby! She just wants a bird she can really bond with. I think getting a freshly weaned bird will be the best bet (from a breeder, as petshops would sell an old bird and call it a juvenile budgie!)

Edit... Lads thanks very much for the care advice etc, we know it is all given in good will!!! But the thing is I live with Dancingqueen, she is my girlfriend. I have kept birds all my life, from small finches to large parakeets and small parrots, I have also bred some of the species. We currently keep 1 bird, a quaker parrot.
    The advice to get a young weaned juvenile is good and thanks for that. But we are really just asking does anyone know of anyone that has a bird for sale, as none of my contacts have any at the moment. All we need is a quick response if you know of any breeders that have birds sitting on eggs etc. I know of one clutch but they have turned out to be infertile. Many thanks!

Personally I wouldn't have posted on here asking the question as most people that do so just end up getting care advice. But she did and that's her own choice. :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement