Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before you compare prices to UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

mcwhirter wrote: »
    How is the vrt a oneoff, it is on every car you buy, every time?

I have never paid VRT in my life, if you have paid loads, well, thanks for paying my share.

Like I say, if you have the cash to blow on a new car and choose to buy one with a huge engine, go for it, you must be loaded.

Rich enough to pay £25 a day in London

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/6146442.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

ch750536 wrote: »
    73176.jpg
    Source

€2000?

Lets not feed the troll eh

The chart you have listed is for pre 2008 cars, the chart I listed is for 2008 onwards cars which go on C02 rather than engine size.
    As for vrt, vrt is included in the new price of a car registered in Ireland and is then reflected in the 2nd hand car price.
    If there was no vrt, the 2nd hand price price would therfore be lower. See the 'motor' forum for more on this.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    The chart you have listed is for pre 2008 cars...

Read between the lines bud. I have never, probably never will either, have the chance to buy a new car.

So, for you to be moaning about the VRT you pay each year, my heart bleeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

http://www.rip-off.co.uk/

no-one ever happy - the main campaign i've seen is computer software prices been 3 times higher than the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Read between the lines bud. I have never, probably never will either, have the chance to buy a new car.

So, for you to be moaning about the VRT you pay each year, my heart bleeds.

It's not all about new cars. If you buy a second hand car here it will contain the VRT in the price you pay for it, so unless you have no car, never plan on having one or the one you have is going to keep running till you can't drive anymore you will pay VRT. Fact!!!

Most people don't buy cars for cash from their weeks wages. They either save up or get finance. If thats the case it is an ongoing cost for most but not for all

• Advertisement

It's not all about new cars. If you buy a second hand car here it will contain the VRT in the price you pay for it, so unless you have no car, never plan on having one or the one you have is going to keep running till you can't drive anymore you will pay VRT. Fact!!!

Most people don't buy cars for cash from their weeks wages. They either save up or get finance. If thats the case it is an ongoing cost for most but not for all

I know how money works thanks. I would be saving for a long long time to buy a new car, more than a year anyway unlike some people.

By the time the car makes it's way down to me in the food chain (I drive a 96 nissan, a big upgrade from my 87 golf) VRT is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

NO matter how you say it even if it's only 20 out of a hundred euros you still pay VRT

NO matter how you say it even if it's only 20 out of a hundred euros you still pay VRT

Zackly, irrelevant.

Was talking to someone who works for wickes in the UK the other day, management position in store. Was a bit horrified to be honest.

They work for £8.21 per hour (management)?
    Are on the rota for 'early' or 'late' shifts, which are both 10hrs plus, they get paid for 7.5 hrs only.
    On a monday they have to come in between 9am and 1pm for management meetings unpaid.
    At least 3 days a week they do not get their unpaid breaks (1.5 hrs worth) as there is not enough staff.

When I told them to go to the union they said they can't join one, they would get sacked.

Any wonder they are cheaper!

Any staff from wickes Ireland like to comment on their conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

but who cares,
    it is not about how much they pay tax, it is how much you can save by going shopping to NI
    I don't give a sh**

• Advertisement

lukasbasic wrote: »
    but who cares,
    it is not about how much they pay tax, it is how much you can save by going shopping to NI
    I don't give a sh**

Love it when the proud and patriotic take a bow.

Close the door behind you next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Love it when the proud and patriotic take a bow.

Close the door behind you next time.

Heh, no problem. I'm as patriotic or unpatriotic as the next person. Gonna go down to the picket lines over the next while and tell everyone to go back to work to keep the country going?

eh?

eh?

Are you saying that people who spend their money in the north and therefore don't contribute to our exchequer are unpatriotic? If so, surely people striking are also unpatriotic, demanding to contribute less to the exchequer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

amacachi wrote: »
    Are you saying that people who spend their money in the north and therefore don't contribute to our exchequer are unpatriotic? If so, surely people striking are also unpatriotic, demanding to contribute less to the exchequer?
    all of feb i was on holiday in ireland and i couldent understand why the prices in the tesco ireland were higher than tesco in the north or the uk [this was for the same goods]when we came back i asked my son who is a senior manager with tesco why- this is what he told me there is a tesco commitment to buying local goods-fair enought but i still cannot understand why a packet of irish butter is half the price in the uk than in ireland

I'm saying that people who spend their money in the north knowing that it will put their friends, colleagues and families out of work and then say 'I don't give a ****' are unpatriotic and frankly I would feel a lot better if they decided to make it a much longer trip next time.

With regards to people striking, it depends on the issue. I don't see why the bankers get bailed out and bonussed off when the people who did no wrong have to pay for it.

For reasons like that I would pick up a pitchfork and walk to Dublin.

I would give a **** too.

I'm saying that people who spend their money in the north knowing that it will put their friends, colleagues and families out of work and then say 'I don't give a ****' are unpatriotic and frankly I would feel a lot better if they decided to make it a much longer trip next time.

With regards to people striking, it depends on the issue. I don't see why the bankers get bailed out and bonussed off when the people who did no wrong have to pay for it.

For reasons like that I would pick up a pitchfork and walk to Dublin.

I would give a **** too.

What about the issue of trying to feed a family on a low income? Two kids in school and high electricity bills (pity we can't switch to a UK supplier) etc., doesn't leave a huge amount of money to play around with food and toiletries, so you object to that? Shall my family and I just go without toothpaste for a few weeks at a time?
    Toiletries are probably the most offensive item when it comes to the price differential, some of them are over double the price down here. And the difference in operating costs in no way can justify such a difference.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

d high electricity bills (pity we can't switch to a UK supplier).

BBC Watchdog the other night was giing out intensely about high electricity prices in the UK.

parsi wrote: »
    BBC Watchdog the other night was giing out intensely about high electricity prices in the UK.

Brits sometimes give out about high alcohol and cigarette prices, still cheaper than ours.

What about the issue of trying to feed a family on a low income? Two kids in school and high electricity bills (pity we can't switch to a UK supplier) etc., doesn't leave a huge amount of money to play around with food and toiletries, so you object to that? Shall my family and I just go without toothpaste for a few weeks at a time?
    Toiletries are probably the most offensive item when it comes to the price differential, some of them are over double the price down here. And the difference in operating costs in no way can justify such a difference.

even harder when you lose your job, think about us rather than you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's about time that the importers, distributors, wholesalers etc. got a bit of patriotism, and dropped their prices, so that the retailers down here would have a better chance of surviving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

http://listentotaxman.com/index.php?c=1&yr=2008&married=1&age=0&add=0&code=&pension=0&time=1&ingr=30000&vw[]=yr

http://www.taxcalc.eu/

Some examples:
    Married couple earning £30,000 equivalent each.
    UK Pays £12,000 more tax.
    Single person earning £20,000 equivalent
    UK Pays £2800 more tax

Also, water rates & council tax (£2000 per year per household)

Credit for health insurance that you have to pay in Ireland (gives a far better service than the NHS in the UK).

The UK taxes based on what you earn, Ireland taxes based on what you spend.

Take this in to consideration before you post another 'look at the price of this in the UK' thread.
    :cool:

That still does not explain the 10% difference in prices. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

but but but its only £2.50 up the north

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

even harder when you lose your job, think about us rather than you.

Im gonna think about you of course!
    And of course my landlord will think about me when he knocks on my door to cash the rent and i dont have the money?
    Or maybe I shall send him to knock on your door, to see if you feel patriotic enough..?

nmesisca wrote: »
    And of course my landlord will think about me when he knocks on my door to cash the rent and i dont have the money?
    Or maybe I shall send him to knock on your door, to see if you feel patriotic enough..?

Yes completely. Times are tough, we all struggle. Struggling together is much better than struggling against each other.

Someday we will all work that one out.

Your landlord should soon realise there is no longer a queue at his door and his inflated prices wont be met by anyone. Maybe you have to persuade them of this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

Yes completely. Times are tough, we all struggle. Struggling together is much better than struggling against each other.

Someday we will all work that one out.

Your landlord should soon realise there is no longer a queue at his door and his inflated prices wont be met by anyone. Maybe you have to persuade them of this fact.

Ok then, lets struggle together.
    can I have your phone and address please so when the landlord comes I can send him to you for a cup of tea and a chat?
    seriously, you should be tied to a missile and shot on some remote planet.. actually.. I think you're there already.

Ok then, lets struggle together.
    can I have your phone and address please so when the landlord comes I can send him to you for a cup of tea and a chat?
    seriously, you should be tied to a missile and shot on some remote planet.. actually.. I think you're there already.

ah, the old 'I must win this argument so I'll claim the other guy is insane' ploy.

1. Not an argument, no winners, called debate.
    2. If ever you think you are arguing with a fool always check to make sure the other person isn't too.

Call your landlord and persuade them. Rents are dropping (admittedly not the advertised rents), just do a few viewings and make offers, you will see that the market is hungry for custom.

If you have to move house to survive, so be it. Done this many times myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Had a fun trip the other day.

Parked my car in reading train station (£13 per day) for 2 days = £26
    Train to liverpool ( return) = £119

Total = £145

Similar journey here:

Car park at Cork station = €1.50
    Cork to Dublin = €71.00

RIPOFF UK!

+1 Don't moan when you don't have a clue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

If your lanlord is refusing to drop your rent he is the one o a different planet. Home rents have dropped by 25 - 30% nationwide. If you landlord has a mortgage his costs have dropped too.

Retail rents have dropped by almost 40% in some cases where lanlord have become realistic.

Tell your landlord that you are moving out as you have been able to find better accomadation at a lower price - check it out and you'll find its true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

The original OP should try living in the UK for a while because I don't know where the figures are coming from...I lived in the UK and when I moved home to a higher salary here I actually ended up with less take home pay.
    I've done the trips to the north and have done plenty of price comparisons between here and the UK and anyone can see we are being completely ripped off here. Try standing in a shop in the north where they carry ROI prices and sterling prices and work out how much you will actually pay in the euro equivalent and it is simply a shocker.

Advertisement