Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before you compare prices to UK

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Heres a shocker. I'm British, born in Stoke on Trent, spent the first 30 years of my life in the UK.

I work for a UK company, am paid in sterling.

I take trips to the UK all the time.

I know how expensive the place is, I just escaped it. Its all done by stealth though. Before you know it your wallet is empty.

People may focus on the price of a packet of crisps, Tax is the first killer. When I changed from UK tax to Irish tax I (we) were immediately €6k better off.

When we finally got Irish child allowance (bizarre considering both my kids were both born here) add another €2k to that.

Take into account the fact that my wife earns more part time than she did full time in the UK for doing the same job.

Believe me, I do know what I am talking about.

Having a whip-around for the poor people of the UK.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7982056.stm

'A crisis is unfolding in the UK as people in poverty struggle with rising food prices and the recession, the Save the Children charity has warned.
    It comes as new figures from The Grocer magazine show food prices rose by more than 18% over the last year.'

Thought this was worth bumping due to some incredible news.

After finally sorting my tax status I have had tax refunded to me, meaning the average amount of tax paid for the last 4 years (PAYE in Ireland, myself & my wife) is €4,831 per year. In the UK it would have been £12,480.

Ripoff Ireland? I'm sure it happens sometimes.

Advertisement