Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is Belfast for a stag?

• 16-02-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭

Myself and a bunch of other lads are heading off to a stag this March in Belfast. However from talking to a few friends about it, i am starting to wonder how safe that would be to do? I know the 'troubles' are all over now but i get the vibe that still if you walk up the wrong street or go into the wrong pub you could get a hiding if you have the wrong accent or drunkenly yell out the wrong thing? There will be about 20 or 30 lads, mix of accents but I'm from galway myself with a good bogger accent, and what with it being a stag i would expect some drunkeness, and I just wonder is it the case that if you blurt out something inappropriate you could get hassle?

I am asking specifically about any extra problems relating to the troubled history of the North, I know that of course you can be in any city in the world and go up a wrong street, say the wrong thing, or meet the wrong person but i mean is there extra caution that should be exercised because of the fact that this is Belfast, and are there some streets/pubs that one should not go into?

My apologies if i am being ridiculous and insulting a fine city, but i am just wondering does anyone have any experience of this or any words of advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not a problem.
    The pubs you should avoid are all outside city centre. Stick to main streets and you'll be fine (not get lost :)). Don't enter Sandy Row but you'll see the flags beforehand.

Suggestions here
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Belfast
    http://www.belfastbar.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 B.E.S.T.

The fact that your asking the question should be reason enough not to be going to Belfast. It`s obvious you have reservations. Go somewhere that you are confident that you will not have any bother.

Every southerner I brought to Belfast has been like: "But, it's so nice here. Not at all like the papers/TV".
    Belfast is full of southerners and foreigners these days. Go, you'll have a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Puteq wrote: »
    drunkenly yell out the wrong thing?
    That can be a receipe for a hiding anywhere, just remember in Belfast a hiding might involve baseball bats and power tools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You're grand. I was up there for a stag about two years ago and had a great time. Went on a open-top bus tour up the Falls Road and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Sleipnir wrote: »
    You're grand. I was up there for a stag about two years ago and had a great time. Went on a open-top bus tour up the Falls Road and all.

Now if it was up the Shankill I'd say something :D

It'll be fine, yeah there's trouble spots, and yes you do have the added 'which side are you from' dynamic (which in reality doesn't really come up but you never know I guess) outside of the group of 20 or 30 lads trashed (like that wouldn't be asking for trouble anyway lol) but as Biko said, stay in the city and you'll be fine. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Now if it was up the Shankill I'd say something :D

Ah we went there too. Stopped for a sandwich if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Puteq

B.E.S.T. wrote: »
    The fact that your asking the question should be reason enough not to be going to Belfast. It`s obvious you have reservations. Go somewhere that you are confident that you will not have any bother.

I definitely wouldnt want to stay away for no good reason except my own ignorance of the place, and by the sounds of things I get the impression i was being a bit over-concerned.

as someone said, and group of 20 or 30 lads is enough of a recipie for trouble anyway LOL but the 'usual' adventures this would entail i can handle, I was just a bit worried about any extra dynamics i might not be prepared for.

So i guess its roll on Belfast for me thanks for the words everyone :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I spent 2 months there before.. Not a bother, Of course there are places you shouldnt go but they are not in the City, As all have said stay in the City and you'll be fine, The flags are a big giveaway as well.

It is a nice place, Enjoy your stag, Oh dont go around singing Irish rebal songs !! they dont like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

whats the worst that can happen?...... news-graphics-2007-_644025a.jpg
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

I live in Belfast and I would say even if you walked in what people say is "the wrong areas" you would be fine. The troubles that were in Belfast and N.I. were political and bugger all to do with tourists. I know a girl from Dublin with a very strong accent and she lives at the top of the skankill road! N. Ireland is moving on and people should help in this process.Belfast has been voted one of the top destinations in the UK for stag and hen do's and I've see loads of them every time I'm in town,I say go for it. If you look at statistics for crime against the person I think you'll find N.Ireland one of the safest places to be in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Noble Knight

biko wrote: »
    Not a problem.
    The pubs you should avoid are all outside city centre. Stick to main streets and you'll be fine (not get lost :)). Don't enter Sandy Row but you'll see the flags beforehand.

Suggestions here
    http://wikitravel.org/en/Belfast
    http://www.belfastbar.co.uk/

Why are you suggesting that the working class folk of Sandy Row are bigoted to our neigbours from across the boreder.

That is a bit of a generalisation is it not? Good and bad people exsist everywhere.

So it'd actually be fine for a group of Irish guys to go drinking in Loyalist Sandy Row now? Ian Paisleys home turf?

Where is best to go? The Royal Bar has some good reviews, doesn't say who did them though www.belfastbar.co.uk/the-royal-bar-review.htm

So it'd actually be fine for a group of Irish guys to go drinking in Loyalist Sandy Row now? Ian Paisleys home turf?

Where is best to go? The Royal Bar has some good reviews, doesn't say who did them though www.belfastbar.co.uk/the-royal-bar-review.htm

Ian Paisleys "Home Turff" Ian Paisly lives in East Belfast. Sandy Row may be a loyalist area and I very much doubt the bars there would interest you unless perhaps you had a keen interest for Rangers FC and Northern Ireland FC. It would no be advisable to walk about with say a GAA top on in such a place.

The point I was trying to make was that I am sick to death of people making generalisations about certain areas in Belfast. I notice no one discouraged you from going up the Falls or down to New Lodge? You will find not so pleasent types there aswell.

If you are going anywhere in Belfast City for a pint try Dempsys or lafferys near shaftsbury square.

I am not ashamed of Belfast or it's people I don't like others casting up about areas and the like.

Ps Never been to the Royal Bar but if you fancy a decent pint try the Monico Bar in Belfast City centre it is near the Northern Whig (another good bar) and the Cathderal quater has some good bars.

I meant that the DUP office is on Sandy Row, mind was a few years I walked down the street. It might not be there any more? I usually drink in the Empire myself. Laverys or old Kitchen bar would be favourites too. Or a few Belfast Ale in the Crown yum

I meant that the DUP office is on Sandy Row, mind was a few years I walked down the street. It might not be there any more? I usually drink in the Empire myself. Laverys or old Kitchen bar would be favourites too. Or a few Belfast Ale in the Crown yum

I love the Empire espically when "Strictly no ballroom" are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Magnus wrote: »

The DUP headquarters are in East Belfast, just off the Belmont Avenue. Paisley was born in Ballymena, preached in South Belfast, lives in East Belfast. I'd be surprised if he has been down to the Sandy Row that often but I'd say he has been there more than you given your total ignorance of the place. Sandy Row is full of decent, hard-working working class people who would no more bat an eyelid at a Southerner than they would anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

Ian Paisleys "Home Turff" Ian Paisly lives in East Belfast. Sandy Row may be a loyalist area and I very much doubt the bars there would interest you unless perhaps you had a keen interest for Rangers FC and Northern Ireland FC. It would no be advisable to walk about with say a GAA top on in such a place.

The point I was trying to make was that I am sick to death of people making generalisations about certain areas in Belfast. I notice no one discouraged you from going up the Falls or down to New Lodge? You will find not so pleasent types there aswell.

If you are going anywhere in Belfast City for a pint try Dempsys or lafferys near shaftsbury square.

I am not ashamed of Belfast or it's people I don't like others casting up about areas and the like.

Ps Never been to the Royal Bar but if you fancy a decent pint try the Monico Bar in Belfast City centre it is near the Northern Whig (another good bar) and the Cathderal quater has some good bars.

he was just giving him a friendly warning, im sure he wasnt referring to everyone in the area but personally if i was to be coming up from the south, its an area i would avoid while on the other hand the falls and new lodge would be more suitable locations (maybe not new lodge lol)

Seachto7, this isn't After Hours. Whilst I 'assume' you were referring to the incident at Windsor Park over the weekend, not everyone would necessarily know that. I've removed the post for the avoidance of confusion.

The DUP headquarters are in East Belfast, just off the Belmont Avenue. Paisley was born in Ballymena, preached in South Belfast, lives in East Belfast. I'd be surprised if he has been down to the Sandy Row that often but I'd say he has been there more than you given your total ignorance of the place. Sandy Row is full of decent, hard-working working class people who would no more bat an eyelid at a Southerner than they would anyone else.

Ian Paisley lives in East Belfast. He comes from Ballymeena and North Antrim is his constinuency.

• Advertisement

Can everyone please try to keep the thread on topic? Anyone seeking correct information about the locations or otherwise of political offices and constituencies should be able to get it from the party websites directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

Can everyone please try to keep the thread on topic? Anyone seeking correct information about the locations or otherwise of political offices and constituencies should be able to get it from the party websites directly.

And so say all of us. At this stage Puteq has, hopefully, had the stag do - the 'Row' has been vilified and vindicated in almost equal measure, various city centre bars have had a free plug or two and political knowledge has been proven. A good day all round I'd say.

by the way the good news is stag went well, belfast was a class choice of venue and we had no problems at all. we were only in the city centre but there was none of this nonsense of sides really tho the lads i was with knew the area so maybe they chose their bars wisely or maybe belfast really is a lot better than it was when i was drinking there 11 years ago.

happy days anyway i would recommend it, and thanks for the advice everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Milltownheart

Heading up to Belfast in 2 weeks. What pubs and clubs would you recommend? Did ye do any activity on the saturday apart from swampin pints?

Heading up to Belfast in 2 weeks. What pubs and clubs would you recommend? Did ye do any activity on the saturday apart from swampin pints?

Well theres plenty of advice here on good spots to go to, but I wouldnt have any specific advice myself - pretty much pinting it all the way. We went to the Odyssey Bowl on the Saturday for bowling, had some tapas there which was pretty good , but other than that plenty different pubs, thes names of which escape me as i was following the lead of fellas who knew their way about town :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Tombstone

My apologies if i am being ridiculous and insulting a fine city, but i am just wondering does anyone have any experience of this or any words of advice?[/quote]

This really annoys me,im from Belfast I live in Belfast and I love Belfast. Going out in Belfast is great crack. If there is 20 -30 lads I reckon were ever you go in the world there might be trouble. Ive felt more scared in the main streets of Dublin than I have in Belfast to be honest. If you need any advice on were to go ask and I will give you some good places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Mr Tombstone

It depends what you want in a night out tell me what you want and i will provide some ideas????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

belfast is a great city for nightlife, just keep your night out to the city and ull be alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

My apologies if i am being ridiculous and insulting a fine city, but i am just wondering does anyone have any experience of this or any words of advice?

This really annoys me,im from Belfast I live in Belfast and I love Belfast. Going out in Belfast is great crack. If there is 20 -30 lads I reckon were ever you go in the world there might be trouble. Ive felt more scared in the main streets of Dublin than I have in Belfast to be honest. If you need any advice on were to go ask and I will give you some good places.

I love belfast too, but I don't think this should annoy you. It has recent serious history and for all the OP knows there could have been loyalist bars in the centre he'd be well advised to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

go for it man!
    Head on up. TYhere's a few of us DOnegal wans about too

Advertisement