Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is Belfast for a stag?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Costigan

Why are you suggesting that the working class folk of Sandy Row are bigoted to our neigbours from across the boreder.

That is a bit of a generalisation is it not? Good and bad people exsist everywhere.

I'm a Belfast man born and bred and I would say most working class people from loyalist areas are bigotted to be honest with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Costigan

By and large it will be safe and you will have a great time but I remember a Cannaught Rugby fan got a terrible beating near one of the main strips which is unfortunately beside Sandy Row when he was getting a bite to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Tea Spoon

By and large what has already been said says it all. Stick to the City Centre and you will be grand.

Along with out of town pubs I would also try and avoid pubs / clubs in leisure complexs like the Odyssey and Yorkgate (now called Cityside) as these can be magnets for troublemakers.

Common sense should prevail and it's not too difficult even with a few pints in you to use sound judgement. My golden rule is really don't draw unnecessary attention to yourself no matter where you are be it Belfast or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

I'm from Galway and myself and my missus were in Belfast for the long weekend. It was my first time to even cross the border and I have to say I enjoyed every minute of my time there. A fabulous city, it was clean, friendly locals, very well sign posted and I felt perfectly safe around the city centre regardless of the time, 2pm or 2am.

We did the usual tourist things like the rope bridge (windy and terrifying!), giants causeway, Belfast wheel, shopping, Titanic quarter and open top bus tour. It was very interesting and an eye opener to travel down the Falls and Shankill among many other sites and places. We ate out and done as many pubs as we could which were all perfectly safe and well maintained. The Crown was my own favourite just for the decor. An amazing listed building.

Basically as long as you don't arrive into a pub in a Celtic shirt, wearing a giant green lepracaun hat sing Rebel songs then you are not going to get in any trouble. Just don't act the maggot, keep in mind where you are and the political and cultural sensitivities of the locals and you will have a ball. Virtually no different from Dublin or any other major city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Noble Knight

Costigan wrote: »
    By and large it will be safe and you will have a great time but I remember a Cannaught Rugby fan got a terrible beating near one of the main strips which is unfortunately beside Sandy Row when he was getting a bite to eat.

It was a Munster Rugby top and there is more to that story than was reported in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

It was a Munster Rugby top and there is more to that story than was reported in the media.

Really? Are you sure about that? I know a little bit about this and the victim. The guy who was attacked is Paul Newton from Sligo, but originally a Roscommon man. He is a Connacht rugby fan and was in Belfast to see them and Ulster playing the night he was attacked. He would have been wearing a green Connacht rugby top if any, certainly not a Munster top. He was also wearing a coat over the top as it was 1am on an April night when assaulted.

I am not trying to have an arguement or anything just querying some points. Also no matter what else there might be as you say behind what was reported he did not deserve to have the his head kicked in. He spent 2 weeks in intensive care on a ventilator unable to breath for himself. He has still not recovered from his injuries (attack was start of April 08) they were that severe and will spend several more years receiving therapy and medical assistance for his injuries.

At the same time I am not trying to tarnish all the people of that area. It was as always a handfull of scrotes who did this and dragged an entire neighbours reputation through the mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

The message seems to be that it's a fine place but just avoid particular areas. The same could be said for every city.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

went to belfast on friday for belsonic, just for the night, nicest city on the island ive been to. and yes, me and my mate were actually completely surprised how nice it was, a lot of this stigma against it is completely blown out of proportion, and doesnt help anyone. clubs are great fun, better music and craic than dublin i found, even for the one night, way cheaper too. everyone we talked to were the soundest people, didnt see any drunk bullcrap you get in dublin, actually felt safer.

definitely goin back, considering applying for a year up there in queens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭armaghbhoy

Well being from the north, if i was going to Belfast I'd avoid most of the east of the city except for the Short Strand. most of the west is ok except for the Shankill. Or you could just learn the sash and you will be ok, as long as your accent doesn't give it away. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

armaghbhoy wrote: »
    Well being from the north, if i was going to Belfast I'd avoid most of the east of the city except for the Short Strand. most of the west is ok except for the Shankill. Or you could just learn the sash and you will be ok, as long as your accent doesn't give it away. :)

You're really just naming that Nationalist areas aren't you?

Anyway, for anyone visiting Belfast for the weekend, the city centre is for the most part safe. I can't think off-hand a pub that you would be recommended to avoid. If you're a student, you might also like round the Botanic and Stranmillis area where there are heaps of bars geared towards students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The_Wobbler

You'll have no problems, city centre is probably safer than dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Raspberryhardon

armaghbhoy wrote: »

What a load of rubbish!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

I had my wedding this year in The Stormont Hotel which is well in to East Belfast!!! Half of my wedding guests were from Mayo and Dublin...they had no problem whatsoever with East Belfast...had hairdressing appointments there, went for walks around Stormont Estate!!!
    As to why a stag group would be visting East Belfast or the Shankill...that is a bit confusing!!! All the bars and clubs are in the city centre!!!
    Maybe some people just enjoy labelling some areas of Northern Ireland as no go whether it relates to the thread or not!!! :confused:

Paul4As wrote: »
    I had my wedding this year in The Stormont Hotel which is well in to East Belfast!!! Half of my wedding guests were from Mayo and Dublin...they had no problem whatsoever with East Belfast...had hairdressing appointments there, went for walks around Stormont Estate!!!
    As to why a stag group would be visting East Belfast or the Shankill...that is a bit confusing!!! All the bars and clubs are in the city centre!!!
    Maybe some people just enjoy labelling some areas of Northern Ireland as no go whether it relates to the thread or not!!! :confused:

Well said mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

Thinking of organising a stag myself up there. Is there any strip clubs in Belfast? Any niteclub recommendations?
    Cheers

hmmmmmm wrote: »
    Thinking of organising a stag myself up there. Is there any strip clubs in Belfast? Any niteclub recommendations?
    Cheers

No strip clubs mucker but what type of clubs do you like?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

Really none!! Difficult to have a stag without one. What are good clubs for meeting women up there?

hmmmmmm wrote: »
    Really none!! Difficult to have a stag without one. What are good clubs for meeting women up there?

Well you could try the odessey arena the advantage is its all indoors so you dont have to do much walking in the rain. Inside there is the Beach club which is tacky but full of birds or bar7 which is full of hen nights or the box is very clubby and a little younger. But theres plenty of bars that arent bad inside aswell as a bowling alley.

If you want a club try "Rain" or if you want a bar/club try either Thompsons Garage or Mchughs.

Advertisement