Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda United Gain PD Licence - the LoI Is a complete farce - I'm out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Cheerio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Des wrote: »
    http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/single/id/1540

:mad:

Good riddance to the league.

Fúckin shambles.

you sound like youre surprised we got one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

_42548813_delaney416.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

pardon my ignorance, but wat does all this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Jazzy wrote: »
    pardon my ignorance, but wat does all this mean?

You're not 'football' enough to know. Only level 10 initiates are privy to this information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

A club who overspent themselves last season and in no way made an effort during the season to reduce costs, causing them to go into examinership and all they received for this is a 10 point deduction.

Also, the FAI are helping them to get their stadium up to the right standards so they can acquire the PL licence.

That's the story in a very condensed mode :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry Des, I couldn't resist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

So what's the story with Shels? They did the same, but at least their stadium was up to scratch, but they were still relegated.

Quint wrote: »
    So what's the story with Shels? They did the same, but at least their stadium was up to scratch, but they were still relegated.

Exactly.

Any word on Cork City, did they get a PD licence?

Another farce if they did.

• Advertisement

According to their forum they did.

SantryRed wrote: »
    According to their forum they did.

well that seals it then.

Examinership should mean instant relegation for the next season.

Not paying players, at any stage, should mean instant relegation for the next season.

Not having seats in your ground should mean, at the very least, you don't get a PD licence.

The FAI have royally fudged these issues, and are the culpable party here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cobh not given a license. A Championship for them.

15 clubs been given prem licenses.

So they helped Drogs stay in the PD but won't help Cobh to stay in the FD?

How rediculous is that.

Athlone Town, Cobh Ramblers, Cork City, Kildare County were given licences on the basis that financial commitments they have made will be honoured within the agreed dates before the start of the 2009 season

Seems Cobh are steopping down themselves in fact.

My question is this - why are Drogs in a betetr position than CCFC? They were hours from oblivion, but are awarded a license no questions asked, while ours is conditional. Not to mention a license should not be conditional, it should either be awarded or not. Simple as....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

gimmick wrote: »
    Cobh not given a license. A Championship for them.

15 clubs been given prem licenses.

Would you mind posting the 15 clubs here? Cheers.

I do not actually know. I am guessing the 10 premier division clubs, plus Shels, Waterford, Torpedo, Harps and UCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Des, I take it you're walking away from the game in this country, why punish Shels who need bodies through the turnstiles because of the FAI's incompetence? I'm genuinely confused by that...:confused:

Des, I take it you're walking away from the game in this country, why punish Shels who need bodies through the turnstiles because of the FAI's incompetence? I'm genuinely confused by that...:confused:

Because I've had it up to here with the way the league is run.

It's an absolute farce, and I can see no way out of it if the FAI are going to continually

a. pick favourites
    b. rape other clubs
    c. treat the match-going fan with contempt as to spread lies and propaganda
    d. have John Delaney in charge

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

Exactly.

Any word on Cork City, did they get a PD licence?

Another farce if they did.

Cork City and Drogheda both went into examinership for different reasons.

City were screwed over by an English consortium who just pulled out and left them fight for themselves. They got out of examinership by themselves and with no help from the FAI.

Drogheda went into examinership because of they're own mis-management of their money!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Clubs granted PD licences

Bohemian FC

Bray Wanderers

Cork City

Derry City

Drogheda United

Dundalk FC

Finn Harps

Galway United

Monaghan United

Shamrock Rovers

Shelbourne FC

Sligo Rovers

St Patrick’s Athletic

UCD AFC

Waterford United

They're both in the wrong! They both should of been relegated!

Is there a precedent for automatic demotion?

Because I've had it up to here with the way the league is run.

It's an absolute farce, and I can see no way out of it if the FAI are going to continually

a. pick favourites
    b. rape other clubs
    c. treat the match-going fan with contempt as to spread lies and propaganda
    d. have John Delaney in charge

I get that Des, and I know why you're pissed off, but aren't you going to hurt Shels by walking away? That's my point.

It seems an awful pity that you'd leave behind something that you've cared about, so much so that you were doing voluntary work to help out at Tolka, because of Delaney and his ilk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

SectionF wrote: »
    Clubs granted PD licences

Bohemian FC

Bray Wanderers

Cork City

Derry City

Drogheda United

Dundalk FC

Finn Harps

Galway United

Monaghan United

Shamrock Rovers

Shelbourne FC

Sligo Rovers

St Patrick’s Athletic

UCD AFC

Waterford United
    Here's the link
    http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/media-centre/february-2009/news/index.xml

Weird only 7 first division licenses given and 15 premier I thought the whole point was to reduce the number to ten in the premier division and 12 in the first???????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I agree with TheRecklessOne, Des. You're gonna be punishing Shels for something the FAI have done. It just means that Shels will keep on getting punished if fans like yourself take this stance.
    I could never see myself walking away from Pat's just because of Delaney.

What you should do is barricade yourself into an office at the FAI with a lighter and a can of petrol and threaten to set yourself on fire if Drogheda and Cork are not relegated. It seems to be the fashionable thing to do.

Also, a YouTube moment i can only hope for one day. Des walks into a bar and John Delaney is in there. I wanna see what happens next!

fermoyboy wrote: »
    Cork City and Drogheda both went into examinership for different reasons.

City were screwed over by an English consortium who just pulled out and left them fight for themselves. They got out of examinership by themselves and with no help from the FAI.

Drogheda went into examinership because of they're own mis-management of their money!!

This is bollox, imo.

The owners of both clubs did the exact same thing.

It doesn't matter is those owners are

a. English Consortium
    b. Local man
    c. the fans
    d. Rich Arab
    e. Rich Russian
    f. the fans

the club overspent, the club is responsible.

This bollox from Cork City fans is hugely annoying; "It wasn't us, it was the evil Arkaga".

Wake the hell up lads, Arkaga WAS Cork City. :rolleyes:

Weird only 7 first division licenses given and 15 premier I thought the whole point was to reduce the number to ten in the premier division and 12 in the first???????:confused:

Not every team who has been awarded a PD Licence will play in the PD

Here's the link
    http://www.eircomloi.ie/news-centre/media-centre/february-2009/news/index.xml

It will be. The clubs have been awarded the Premier licence because they are up to standard for the PL. However, they still have to get there by promotion.

• Advertisement

This bollox from Cork City fans is hugely annoying; "It wasn't us, it was the evil Arkaga".

Wake the hell up lads, Arkaga WAS Cork City. :rolleyes:

Yes, Arkaga were Cork City and they'd given assurances to the FAI that they were going to fund the club for a certain period of time and then just pulled the plug without warning!! That can hardly be blamed on the people still left behind after them.

It was clear to everyone for a while that Drogheda were heading down the same road as Shels but they did nothing to stop it.

You can't seriously think both cases are the same?????

Yes, Arkaga were Cork City and they'd given assurances to the FAI that they were going to fund the club for a certain period of time and then just pulled the plug without warning!! That can hardly be blamed on the people still left behind after them.

It was clear to everyone for a while that Drogheda were heading down the same road as Shels but they did nothing to stop it.

You can't seriously think both cases are the same?????
    FFS, will Cork fans pull their heads out of their arses?

If anyone was just allowed to do whatever they want and simply have a change of management to avoid the consequences, then everyone would be doing it.

CiaranC wrote: »
    FFS, will Cork fans pull their heads out of their arses?

If anyone was just allowed to do whatever they want and simply have a change of management to avoid the consequences, then everyone would be doing it.

Exactly.

Spend, spend, spend.

Ah bollix, we can't really afford this, let's change owner and everything can be forgotten about and it will all be rosy.

Actually, seemingly you ARE allowed to do this, and the FAI see it as a viable way to run a club.

I never said clubs should be able to do what they like. I never said Cork City should be entitled to be in the Premier Division this year. After everything that went on last season, I, and all Cork City fans, am just glad to have a team to support this coming season, regardless of whatever division we ended up in.

I'm simply stating that the plights of the two clubs in question were totally different.

I'm simply stating that the plights of the two clubs in question were totally different.

No they weren't.

The owners of both clubs wildly overspent.
    Both clubs went into examinership.
    Both clubs now have PD licences.

It looks the same to me.

I never said clubs should be able to do what they like. I never said Cork City should be entitled to be in the Premier Division this year. After everything that went on last season, I, and all Cork City fans, am just glad to have a team to support this coming season, regardless of whatever division we ended up in.

Sure they are different in detail. But both clubs overspent to the point where they almost went extinct, and gained at the expense of other clubs who ran their clubs properly, like UCD for example.

End Of.

• Advertisement

No they weren't.

The owners of both clubs wildly overspent.
    Both clubs went into examinership.
    Both clubs now have PD licences.

It looks the same to me.

Drogheda overspent and had no money left.

Cork City were working on a budget which would've got them through the next few seasons until the company responsible for supplying the money just said 'ok we're not giving any more money and we're outta here'

Hardly falls into the WILDLY overspending category.

Drogheda overspent and had no money left.

Cork City were working on a budget which would've got them through the next few seasons until the company responsible for supplying the money just said 'ok we're not giving any more money and we're outta here'

Hardly falls into the WILDLY overspending category.

Drogheda overspent with the intention that the development plans for a new stadium etc would see money continue to come in. Meath County Council put paid to that.

Shels overspent with the intention of fudning activities through the sale of the lease on Tolka, we all know how that turned out.

Cork and Arkaga are no different, spending money that wasn't coming into the club through commercial activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Great to see City are still up.:)

Shame to see Cobh have to go down to the A championship but it will probably at least give them the oppurtunity to rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Great to see City are still up.:)

Shame to see Cobh have to go down to the A championship but it will probably at least give them the oppurtunity to rebuild.
    No team that puts themselves in that position deserves anything but relegation.
    Its typical of the whole League, Dundalk could not get a License when this new league started out, and then Drogheda get one even after acting in such a negligent fashion. Same with Cork.

What happened to Shels a couple of years back?

But its just typical of the whole system and the FAI as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Is it just me!?

Or is it a f**kin joke that a manager can HELP run a SMALL club into the ground by hiring 40 odd pro's including players like Faz who never fitted into the clubs style of play AND 6 or 7 forwards EVEN though they played best with one up front to the extent that it LOOKS like he is just hiring players to weaken the opposition

Then he can just walk out, into another club taking some of the players with him on free's as the club he is leaving cannot afford their wages!?
    :confused:

The man should have been barred from managing any other club than Drogs for at least a year!
    His mess, he should have had to fix it!
    Used to have a soft spot for Cork(lived there for a couple of years), thats well gone!:mad:

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    No team that puts themselves in that position deserves anything but relegation.
    Its typical of the whole League, Dundalk could not get a License when this new league started out, and then Drogheda get one even after acting in such a negligent fashion. Same with Cork.

What happened to Shels a couple of years back?

But its just typical of the whole system and the FAI as well.

Im not saying they probably did'nt deserve to be relegated but im not going to lie and say im not happy about them staying up.

Other LOI fans mighnt like it but im more concerned about city staying up rather than their objections.

elshambo wrote: »
    Is it just me!?

Or is it a f**kin joke that a manager can HELP run a SMALL club into the ground by hiring 40 odd pro's including players like Faz who never fitted into the clubs style of play AND 6 or 7 forwards EVEN though they played best with one up front to the extent that it LOOKS like he is just hiring players to weaken the opposition

Then he can just walk out, into another club taking some of the players with him on free's as the club he is leaving cannot afford their wages!?
    :confused:

The man should have been barred from managing any other club than Drogs for at least a year!
    His mess, he should have had to fix it!
    Used to have a soft spot for Cork(lived there for a couple of years), thats well gone!:mad:

It's just you.

It's not the fault of the managers, the clubs could have said no, no more money. Instead, they allowed the money to be spent.

You know what, I am ****ing delighted we got the license. **** the dubs and all. Its about time that we were not shafted by the pale. Plus it has pissed off bitter bitter Shelbourne so much. It is best thing ever.

Wibble ****ing wibble. Who appointed the Shels fans as the authority on what is right and wrong anyway? Just because they absolutely rode themselves rotten, much to the delight of the rest of the country does not given them imperial status when it comes to mismanagement. Get over yourselves.

On the other hand, the more you go on like you are, the more it amuses the rest of us.

Thank you Delaney.

Viva FAI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Cork got a punishment worse than relegation: Doolin as manager
    Good luck corkies!

You know what, I am ****ing delighted we got the license. **** the dubs and all. Its about time that we were not shafted by the pale. Plus it has pissed off bitter bitter Shelbourne so much. It is best thing ever.

Wibble ****ing wibble. Who appointed the Shels fans as the authority on what is right and wrong anyway? Just because they absolutely rode themselves rotten, much to the delight of the rest of the country does not given them imperial status when it comes to mismanagement. Get over yourselves.

On the other hand, the more you go on like you are, the more it amuses the rest of us.

Thank you Delaney.

Viva FAI

This should be Soccer post of the year nominee.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

It's just you.

It's not the fault of the managers, the clubs could have said no, no more money. Instead, they allowed the money to be spent.

that answer was a cop out when O'Leary used it at Leeds
    It was a cop out when Nuttzer used it at Shels

and its a cop out now!

No other industry (outside of the banks:mad:) is it accepted that it is the job of senior managment to ruin the business for short term gain!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Thank you Delaney.

Viva FAI

hate to point it out, but drogheda is in the pale as well :p

C'mon the town... Dundalk for the league this year lads? What you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

. Who appointed the Shels fans as the authority on what is right and wrong anyway?

No one did, but saying that we seem to be the only fans that know how to read the 2009 Licensing Manual, for your convenience I've linked the Manual:

http://www.fai.ie/pdf/FAI_Club_Licensing_Manual_2009.pdf have a read of page 88, Fin 1.03 and 1.04.

Then compare them two rules to what the FAI have said today
    Athlone Town, Cobh Ramblers, Cork City, Kildare County were given licences on the basis that financial commitments they have made will be honoured within the agreed dates before the start of the 2009 season.

The agreed date was the 31st Janaury which is set in stone (or should be) in the Licensing Manual 2009. Today is the 16th February, 16 days after that deadline, you's have not paid your debts to employees therefore you don't deserve nor should you have got a license.

Now may I be the first one to say this to Cork City fans, wake the f*ck up, you've cheated in getting a license, you don't deserve to be playing in this league full-stop, it's a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Oh Dessy
    the FAI are who you despise
    oh dessy
    are they the mafia in discuise

oh dessy
    theres somethings people dont understand
    oh dessy
    but its not time to support sunderland

please dont go des,
    its realy gonna hurt;
    dont turn your back,
    dont leave Shels in the dirt.
    the LOI needs you,
    through the good and the bad;
    we'll now all miss your input,
    this is really sad.

oh dessy
    the national team means nothing to you
    oh dessy
    but deserting the league we'll leave us blue

oh dessy
    how you gonna spend your friday now
    oh dessy
    this is such a shock i'm left wondering how

please dont go des,
    its realy gonna hurt;
    dont turn your back,
    dont leave Shels in the dirt.
    the LOI needs you,
    through the good and the bad;
    we'll now all miss your input,
    this is really sad.

oh dessy
    the drogs situation dont let it get to down
    oh dessy
    just stick with your team, no need for the frown

oh dessy
    there is nothing left for me to say
    oh dessy
    this truly is.... a sad sad day

No one did, but saying that we seem to be the only fans that know how to read the 2009 Licensing Manual, for your convenience I've linked the Manual:

http://www.fai.ie/pdf/FAI_Club_Licensing_Manual_2009.pdf have a read of page 88, Fin 1.03 and 1.04.

Then compare them two rules to what the FAI have said today

Take a bow, and your medal is in the post. You will have to share it with your other shels fans though, as I could not be arsed buying one for all 5 of ye.

And the manual can read whateevr the **** it wants, we got the license. Live with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement