Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda United Gain PD Licence - the LoI Is a complete farce - I'm out

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

SectionF wrote: »
    Can we have some perspective? You are comparing a U.S. national league with one on one part of this island with 4.5m people. If it weren't stronger I'd be deeply concerned for its future.

I'm also comparing a country with no real interest in soccer and 4-5 professional sports that rank higher in national interest with a country who have soccer as their number 1 sport.

I honestly don't believe that our fan base to work from is proportional to our size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

GuanYin wrote: »
    I'm also comparing a country with no real interest in soccer
    I think the 39million hispanics in the US might disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

I'm also comparing a country with no real interest in soccer and 4-5 professional sports that rank higher in national interest with a country who have soccer as their number 1 sport.
    Cough!

CiaranC wrote: »
    I think the 39million hispanics in the US might disagree

I should clarify, interest in US soccer. They will watch the south american leagues but I live in a state with a larger than average hispanic population and I don't see them flooding our stadium on match days. I don't see them playing in our semi-pro or amateur leagues either. I see them at pick-up soccer alot, but they aren't supporting US soccer from the roots up.
    Cough!

?? :confused:

Our best athletes pick Football before Soccer. Even then we have Lacrosse and Basketball to compete with.

?? :confused:

Our best athletes pick Football before Soccer. Even then we have Lacrosse and Basketball to compete with.
    For practical purposes in any discussion of league development, one could say that our country has 'no real interest in soccer' also. Not only that, but it has a very big interest in soccer on the next island, and all our press cover that instead, at the expense of the game here.
    And where you have American football, we have GAA football and rugby. So, everything else is more or less equal (at least) yet your league is bigger by a huge multiple, so it really isn't comparable.

For practical purposes in any discussion of league development, one could say that our country has 'no real interest in soccer' also. Not only that, but it has a very big interest in soccer on the next island, and all our press cover that instead, at the expense of the game here.
    And where you have American football, we have GAA football and rugby. So, everything else is more or less equal (at least) yet your league is bigger by a huge multiple, so it really isn't comparable.

I think you're missing my point. There is much more national interest in soccer in Ireland. You guys stop your country for the world cup. We hosted it and we barely noticed. We don't care about soccer on an international level because we will never win the world cup. We have Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Lacrosse all more popular than soccer.

All our soccer fans follow and support EPL. You can go to a bar at 5.3am on a saturday and it will be full of soccer fans up for the EPL. It is far more popular than the MLS. Yet we *STILL* have large crowds and a sustainable league in the MLS. We still have interest because we're really good at managing our league and marketing our game.

If the MLS ran Irish soccer it would be competing with the EPL. Thatis my belief.

I think you're missing my point. There is much more national interest in soccer in Ireland. You guys stop your country for the world cup. We hosted it and we barely noticed. We don't care about soccer on an international level because we will never win the world cup. We have Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Lacrosse all more popular than soccer.

All our soccer fans follow and support EPL. You can go to a bar at 5.3am on a saturday and it will be full of soccer fans up for the EPL. It is far more popular than the MLS. Yet we *STILL* have large crowds and a sustainable league in the MLS. We still have interest because we're really good at managing our league and marketing our game.

If the MLS ran Irish soccer it would be competing with the EPL. Thatis my belief.
    I know we like to think we punch above our weight here, but, with all due respect, on the basis of that post, I think you are suffering from a severe delusion. It's like saying that if you ran our 'navy' we would be competing with the British fleet. You make no allowances for scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If the MLS ran Irish soccer it would be competing with the EPL. That is my belief.

:eek:

I knew it. Ryan Guy is a sleeper agent. The MLS is planning to 'liberate' the league from the F.A.I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Some very interesting points you've brought up over the past couple of pages, but would adopting the MLS model not just homogenise the quality of LOI teams? i.e. all as good as each other, none good enough to compete with the European sides in UEFA comps. The only thing (in the short term anyway) that's going to get bumper crowds in LOI stadia is the allure of UEFA cup/champions league games..

I don't believe it would homogenize the league too much. It would put all the clubs on a level playing field (so to speak) financially, but as has been pointed out, there is alot of history among the clubs and rivalries and I'm sure there are players who would have preferences. So the drawing factor will be the managers, the history, the location and the existing teams.

Without worrying about player salary or security, the clubs only need to focus on attracting players and promoting the club locally and redeveloping facilities. Let the League deal with player contracts.

Things are slightly different in the US, location plays a big part and no club has any real history. But I doubt David Beckham would have signed to live/play in Houston, Texas :)

I certainly don't believe that the clubs should hand over management permanently, but a Franchise system for a few years, in order to get your league stable and viable, I think that would stop the issues you're seeing with clubs like Drogheda and Cork.

I know people think All Star games are pointless, but they so showcase the league talent. If your association has vested financial interest in the league, they may start trying to make the clubs more profitable. a League of Ireland All Star Team Vs. the Republic of Ireland International team (mostly from the British leagues)...... how many moderators would we need for that thread ;):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

But I doubt David Beckham would have signed to live/play in Houston, Texas :)

Beats Columbus imo!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Beats Columbus imo!! :D

...Colorado too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Des wrote: »
    ...Colorado too...

Mmm, don't know about that. Denver is not too bad of a place (was there over the summer for a couple of days) and you are within driving distance of some of the most breathtaking natural environments in the world.

Anyway, we're waaaaaay OT at the moment! :D

EDIT: I know that the Rapids are not exactly in Denver, but located within it's wider metropolitan area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mmm, don't know about that. Denver is not too bad of a place (was there over the summer for a couple of days) and you are within driving distance of some of the most breathtaking natural environments in the world.
    You are such a lickarse
    Anyway, we're waaaaaay OT at the moment! :D

Go on, enforce the letter of the law.

Ban yourself. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The only thing (in the short term anyway) that's going to get bumper crowds in LOI stadia is the allure of UEFA cup/champions league games..

This.

I'm willing to bet money that improved stadia, financially prudent clubs, and polite, cheerful LOI fans with excellent interpersonal and internet skills would have a negligible effect on existing potential fans unless this happened on a dead-cert regular basis.

Advertisement