Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housetraining of my 2 puppies

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all,

i have a question about housetraining and i hope to find help here.

i have 2 puppies 7+5 month old which are partly housetrained.
    we do not have an issue with them during the day when they are inside and we are home as they listen to a command for making a wee outside. so far so good, but i do NOT get them housetrained for the night.
    every morning when i come down the whole extension is flooded.
    i stop giving them water after 8pm and they go out about 2 times prior to "bed time". they were both nealry night dry until we had to bring them into a kennel over xmas, since then its all back to normal and it seems endless.

one of the puppies is a mix and he is a very strong little fella, but everytime my boyfriend tries to pick him up he pees. is he scared of him?

well i hope someone can help me here :confused:

sumse

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Some young dogs are like that the pee with excitment everytime you go to pick them up!!

As for the night time floods.... invest in a Crate & crate train them. It's a sure way to avoid wadding through pee every morning!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sumse

so how will crate training work as i have them in the extension at the moment. will i still be able to leave them down there or do i have to bring them up?

def a good idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some puppies bladders don't really mature until they are about the 8 month mark it depends on the dog though and some, like kids, are quicker than others at being able to hold their water. Is it both pups that are doing it or just one?

The one that is peeing when you pick him up could be excitement any shouting or anything like that can make them nervous and they will pee then too so if it's a pretty calm household then it's more likely excitement. Some dogs are very submissive anyway and will sometimes pee and can be a little nervous from the start.

This does get better though over time.

They can go back to square one after being in kennels esp. if the kennels change their routine so you might have to start at square one again, some people find puppy wee wee pads that you put on the floor help and other people use newspapers. Crate training might also work at night time but do be sure that the pup is able to hold it and won't be in any discomfort having to hold on for 8 hours or more is a lot for, not all, but some dogs.

One of mine could if she was let hold it for about 12 hours the other one can hold for about half that time so it depends on the dog.

well to be honest i reckon its only the male pup.
    as i train to use a special word/command for pee outside he always stops peeing when i say it. so funny sometimes.

it was ok with them before tho and in the morning i would let them out first thing and it worked but its all gone.
    i might really have to start again with the training as he is always very excited and pees then. first i thought he is scared as he has no problem with me picking him up.

i will keep an eye on it and will use the crate. does a crate need to be in the same room to ensure a proper training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Agree with the Crate training - though as I've said on here numerous times before - we used a baby's playpen in the kitchen & he was great from day one.
    However, I will admit that we were very lucky in that I reckon he was pretty much trained in the first 8 weeks by the breeder - I suspect he followed his Mum out to the garden & picked it up from there.

As regards where to put the crate - wherever he's sleeping now is fine. Enough room for his bed & some stretching space, we keep his food and water there too.
    It restricts his movement at night and they naturally don't want to soil their bedding, so will hold it until the morning - then its outside first thing every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Just as a short-term solution while you're getting used to crate train etc. We use those pee pads you can get in any petshop. You can also get sprays that you put on the pads and the puppy will know to pee there. The liquid is absorbed immediately and the smell is neutralised. You need to replace the pad each day.

Like a previous poster said, pups of those ages won't have amazing bladder control. When you start crate training, you can leave them hold it for extending periods of time until their bladders mature but, until then, maybe try the pads and get them used to at least going in one spot where they won't make a huge mess.

Just another thing- you've said they don't get water after 8pm. Now, I don't know if this is bad or not but I've always been under the impression that dogs need to have a constant supply of clean water. Someone in the know might be able to give us a definitive answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

Do not use wee wee pads...I tried that with two of my dogs and a friend of mine tried the same...and our dogs started to go toilet inside even more!!!!! Crate training is the way to go..I have 2 ten week old puppies since wedneday, and they're almost completely potty trained, within a week..I give them a month and I bet there'll prob be no accidents..they're absolute angels! (altho they weren't for the first 2 days) :)

a friend of mine went to a dog trainer as she could not get her pup housetrained and he advosed her of taking wtaer away after 8pm and within a few days it was all control.

i will look for a crate now and see if that works as its like a routine now for me in the morning and i get a bit fed up with it specially when u really try and train them but nighttimes seem to a disaster.

any idea were to get a cheap crate or even the playpen?
    sure google is my friend :):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

I was the same way with mine..completely fed up with all the cleaning, because it was constant every morning, until I got the crates. Google is excellent, and also u can get really cute covers for the outside and the inside, so to your dog it's like a little bedroom!!! But I wouldn't recommend putting them in for the first 2-4weeks..

And as for the crate itself, just throw some chopped hot dogs in the first time your trying to get your dog used to them and she/he will love the crate!!!

Oh, and do not, i repeat DO NOT USE THE CRATE AS A PUNISHMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's the worst thing you can do, unless your planning on it being a punishment place, like the bold corner or something.

Good luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Personally I found the crates a godsend when housetraining our two pups because I knew they wouldn't mess up their bed. However, when I let them out, I had get them out to the garden pronto because, as was mentioned upthread, their bladders simply are too small to cope and they really need to pee after being asleep all night. Mine absolutely love their crates, they hop in there for a kip during the day sometimes now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement