Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais demanding solictor's letter to issue refund

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

My widowed father passed away recently, and I am his own child. I've had no problems so far with legal matters, except one. His gas bill was in credit when he passed away; a gas electrician called to his flat while I was there to close off the meter and take the final reading. Shortly after, I received to my own address the final bill, which was in credit.

However, when I rang Bord Gais to ask when they would send the credit, they said they would need a solictor's letter first! Which is crazy, since the cost of the letter would be more than the amount they owe. Plus, no other body - banks, the ESBs, or the social welfare - have demanded such a letter proving that I'm next of kin.

I was told to ring the Commission of the Energy Regulator, which I've done; no-one answered, so I left a message, Is there anything else I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Contact the Citizens Information helpline and see what they say?

1890 777 121

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Considering that are effectively looking for a refund on someone else's account, it's only fair tht they take a number of precautions before issuing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Gillo wrote: »
    Considering that are effectively looking for a refund on someone else's account, it's only fair tht they take a number of precautions before issuing it.

So far I've had refunds from ESB, a grant from Social Welfare, insurance money from his life insurance company, and access to his bank accounts all done with death certs and without the requirement for a solicitor's letter - all of these amounts large multiples of the amount from Bord Gais.

Also, I was the person who Bord Gais have dealt with as far as entering his apartment and closing the meter.

Precautions are fine of course; however, demanding I spent more money than the refund is worth trying to obtain it suggests that Bord Gais is cynically trying to hold onto it.

I rang the Commission for Energy Regulators this morning who told me that sending a death cert is more than sufficient; on their advice, I've contacted BG with this information. CER say if I have no luck, they will take the matter further.

P.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gillo wrote: »

I can understand this but a death cert would do the job, no need to get onto a solicitor imho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The estate is in probate, they want the solicitor in charge of probate to issue a letter which is fair enough.

If you are doing the probate yourself and have written proof of that then send that in instead to prove that the money may be disbursed to you as Probate

If you do not understand this link then you should get a sollicitor

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/probate_office

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The estate is in probate, they want the solicitor in charge of probate to issue a letter which is fair enough.

If you are doing the probate yourself and have written proof of that then send that in instead to prove that the money may be disbursed to you as Probate

If you do not understand this link then you should get a sollicitor

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/courts-system/probate_office

I talked to the Probate Office; since I'm the only next of kin, there are no probate issues, according to them. I only have to presume they know what they are talking about more than Bord Gais.

And I really don't see what is "fair enough" about me spending €100 on a solicitor's letter in order to get a refund of €100. Sorry, but don't you see the pointlessness of that?

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Have you a letter from the Probate office acknowledging that you are doing the probate???... which is what you must use IN LIEU of a solicitors letter .

Or did you just chat and not get anything in writing from them ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Have you a letter from the Probate office acknowledging that you are doing the probate???... which is what you must use IN LIEU of a solicitors letter .

Or did you just chat and not get anything in writing from them ??

I mentioned all the details and if I needed any documentation from them and they said no. I may actually drop into their office directly if they are giving me wrong advice.

P.

Got a mail from Bord Gais today to say that "A Death Certificate is most certainly sufficient", so I'm not sure is it that (a) the person who told me I needed a solicitor's letter didn't know company policy or (b) they're just backing down. Either way, sorted.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

glad to hear it. Sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement