Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 - replacement in Dublin?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

My motherboard has fallen victim to the reboot before post bug - powers up for approx. 2 sec then dies, repeats until power is removed.

Seems to be a (now) known problem, I have tried all the solutions that I can find on google unplug everything, remove differenty combinations of parts etc.

So now I am looking for a 775 motherboard that can handle a bit of overeclocking for an E6600.

If I could get one in Dublin today or tomorrow then happy days otherwise I will just order online.

Any recommendations for both shops and motherboards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

www.komplett.ie
    www.elara.ie

Both have pick up points in Dublin.

In stores of stores, try Peats or PC World - both have reasonably priced motherboards that don't exceed online prices by much. Avoid Maplins, overpriced rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Thanks,

I was unfortunate enough to buy a motherboard in PC world carrickmines last night, when I got home I discovered that it was not a new board but a damaged return - bent pins in the cpu socket and dust on the board.

currently fighting with the stupid phone system that keeps putting me through to a dead end answering machine or telling me to ring back later.

Should have just ordered online and saved myself the pain of trying to buy local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you sure you got the right board? S775 doesn't have any pins...

No point trying to ring them anyway, you'll get nowhere - not like they can transfer the mobo back to the store over the telephone line. Just drop back in, insist on getting a sealed mobo and put it down to bad luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

fenris wrote: »
    Thanks,

I was unfortunate enough to buy a motherboard in PC world carrickmines last night, when I got home I discovered that it was not a new board but a damaged return - bent pins in the cpu socket and dust on the board.

currently fighting with the stupid phone system that keeps putting me through to a dead end answering machine or telling me to ring back later.

Should have just ordered online and saved myself the pain of trying to buy local.

Quite common for pcworld to do this, and its rather illegal too unless the board is away from the others and marked as opened and returned, or repaired. I'd go pretty much ape**** if that happened to me. Make a formal complaint with the manager of the store, and if you get no luck from him/her go above their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I had 3 faulty ones of those boards...in a row :(

One from PC World, 2 from Komplett.

• Advertisement

Got sorted in PC World by a very courteous Irish guy, full refund, no hassle, apologised and understood that I didn't really want another one to be sent over from another store. The kind of service that we used to expect, but now is a rarity!

I think the ingrained dust on the surface of the board and the myriad of scratches on the connectors on the back my have helped my case!

So online we go with an ASUS P5Q of some sort I think - gotta love that fast booting web /skype ASUS Gate thingey that allows you to get into a browser without going near windows if you are in a hurry.

The 775 socket is made up of a field of little bent over pins - think the battery connectors on old nokia phones (the ones that you had to keep bending up after months to stop the phone turning off)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

fenris wrote: »

So online we go with an ASUS P5Q of some sort I think - gotta love that fast booting web /skype ASUS Gate thingey that allows you to get into a browser without going near windows if you are in a hurry.

oddly thats what i did , but i got in Peats it was cheaper at the time then Komplett.

p5 ftw! etc:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

I got a mb at pc world .It might be the same one as yours .
    Gigabyte 73 pvm s2.
    It was a lot more expensive than online,but it works ok.
    It wont run your memory in dual channel mode tho.
    Did you short out the cmos on your old board and remove the battery?.
    The continuous boot thing happens (for me) if i overdo something in the bios on gigabyte boards or if os crashes.
    I bought new memory from memoryc.ie,
    Then i ordered a lot of parts from pixmania!.I ordered from pixmania before i read all the complaints.
    However it woked out ok for me.
    The gigabyte ep-45 ud3 series of mbrds seem to be near the top for 775 mbrds at a reasonable price,
    Also there probably wont be anything much better coming since 1336 socket release.
    The screenie is what Im running now.the 73 pvm board has a D820 pentium dual in it.

Pretty numbers!!!

I tried all the usual - clear CMOS, various memory configurations etrc - just wasn't working this time though!

I think it will go into the "maybe" box of bits that ocasionally spawns a new mutant PC when enough stuff accumulates!

• Advertisement
Advertisement