Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ask for a refund?

Options
  • 16-02-2009 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Just got a new adorable puppy for Vday. When we went to pick it out, the ad stated that he was already micro-chipped and had all vaccinations. When we left the breeder told us that was not the case and that we would need to do it. We just found out its going to be an extra 100EUR! That was supposed to be included in the price. Do we ask for that back or just chalk it up to inexperience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if you have the advertisement on a piece of paper or whatever then go back to the shop and look for the money to get the chip and shots done , if they refuse, then you have a decent case of false advertisement , keep us posted !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

Thanks for that. Yeah we have the ad, they are up in Gorey, so won't be making the trip again especially. Was just going to send an email since its only been 48 hours. Was just worried because my fella had said ok when he told us the puppy wasn't chipped, not realizing how much it was going to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

sfmonet wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Yeah we have the ad, they are up in Gorey, so won't be making the trip again especially. Was just going to send an email since its only been 48 hours. Was just worried because my fella had said ok when he told us the puppy wasn't chipped, not realizing how much it was going to be....

It doesn't matter what your OH said TBH, If you have the advert that says the puppy is chipped (What does that mean out of interest) then they haven't a leg to stand on. the avertising authority takes this kind of thing very very seriously. If i'm right I believe the fine is a few grand for a first offence.

Just sent an email to the breeder, we will see what happens

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what your OH said TBH, If you have the advert that says the puppy is chipped (What does that mean out of interest) then they haven't a leg to stand on. the avertising authority takes this kind of thing very very seriously. If i'm right I believe the fine is a few grand for a first offence.

To the best of my knowledge the group involved in sorting out misleding adverts can not fine, they are voluntary organisation. Unless there is another body involved.

Getting the puppy chiped means if its lost you can bring it to a vet who will scan the chip and get the owner information. Its a requirement IIRC.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge the group involved in sorting out misleding adverts can not fine, they are voluntary organisation. Unless there is another body involved.

Getting the puppy chiped means if its lost you can bring it to a vet who will scan the chip and get the owner information. Its a requirement IIRC.

Sully do you have an opinion though regarding the fact that the breeder should have to pay for this as adverstised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Sully is right - the ASAI cannot fine, only request that the advertisement is withdrawn.

You'd probably have a case at the small claims court though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I wouldn't be an expert on this by any means,

But isn't an ad that has pricing wrong not the same as pricing a product wrong in a shop in which case the shop can be fined. I worked in superquinn before and this happened in the Deli department.

It might be an idea OP to post this over in Customer Issues Fourm. the boffins there would no doubt know exactly what your entitled too, Keep us informed out of interest.

Good luck

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Indeed ill move this to Consumer Issues as you will get a better response there.

Topic Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If the pup wasn't vaccinated or chipped i'd have to wonder if it's a healthy dog. You might want to get a vet to take a look at it - I presume you've had it vaccinated in the meantime??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

OP .. the fact that a 'breeded' hasn't vaccinated or chipped a dog before selling it rings so many alarm bells with me.

Is the dog or breeder registered with the Irish Kennel Club?

Have a look at the IKC's website and have a look at what they say.

eth0_ wrote: »
    If the pup wasn't vaccinated or chipped i'd have to wonder if it's a healthy dog. You might want to get a vet to take a look at it - I presume you've had it vaccinated in the meantime??

It hadn't received its booster shots (sorry if it came across as no vaccinations). We are getting the booster shots and micro-chipping on Thurs.

The main thing is that we feel since it was advertised as such that we should be refunded the amount we have to pay out additionally.

Just as a note, I haven't received a response as of yet, but will give it until after business hours.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's normal that pups would need to have a booster vaccination after you get them, however if the pup was advertised as being chipped, then they should refund you the difference. I'm assuming the pup is not IKC registered?

Toots85 wrote: »
    It's normal that pups would need to have a booster vaccination after you get them, however if the pup was advertised as being chipped, then they should refund you the difference. I'm assuming the pup is not IKC registered?

The breeder told us that once we get him microchipped to send him all the info then he can have it registered with the IKC and send us the paperwork.

Who knew this was going to be so much confusion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

a puppy is not just for Valentine's day:) i remember a family member getting a pup 2 years ago which i have now and the poor thing was literally crawling with fleas and worms when they got him, i also remember seeing an article in the Carlow people newspaper some time back where the woman this pup had been bought from was jailed and fined and banned from owning dogs for life for operating a "puppy farm" iirc great care must be taken when purchasing dogs or any animals from small adds in papers/magazines

Ok as the original OP, I'd just like to say I was asking for the opinion of requesting a refund. It feels like people are going off the deep end just a little with small claims court, bad breeders, etc.

I'd just like to keep this simple, I've already requested the refund for the particular amount. Haven't heard anything yet, this wasn't just some side of the road thing or a puppy farm.

I think I may need to ask the mod to shut this if it continues this way.

P.S. Our puppy is wonderful and as to the last poster, this wasn't just a vda present, but an addition to the family.

Please calm down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭morrowa64

If you have it on paper then you have a case of false avdvertising

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Ok as the original OP, I'd just like to say I was asking for the opinion of requesting a refund. It feels like people are going off the deep end just a little with small claims court, bad breeders, etc.

I'd just like to keep this simple, I've already requested the refund for the particular amount. Haven't heard anything yet, this wasn't just some side of the road thing or a puppy farm.

Hmm, I dunno. It's like I bought a car and the dealer said 'the windscreen is cracked, you'll need to buy a new one' and I said, 'Ok!'. And then I went and priced windscreens and found out they were more expensive than I thought, so I went back and asked for a refund. Not sure I'd have a comeback there. He pointed out to you before you took the puppy that he wasn't 'as advertised', let's say, and you still bought him.

It's worth asking, sure... but tbh, I don't really think you have much of a comback if he told you and you agreed it was ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Had you paid for the puppy before you collected him, or did you only pay when you found out he wasn't chipped when you collected him? If it's the former, then you have a case, if it's the latter, then paying him when you knew what the situation was signifies your acceptance.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The breeder told us that once we get him microchipped to send him all the info then he can have it registered with the IKC and send us the paperwork.

Who knew this was going to be so much confusion...

Provided he follows this through then well and good. In my experience if you are buying a pure bred dog then it should be registered before you buy it. Make sure you stay on top of it.

IMO, it's slightly sneaky to advertise a puppy for sale including being chipped and then only telling the buyer that this is not the case when they go to buy it (and have in all likelihood already fallen in love with the puppy). However, the main thing is that you have a happy healthy puppy and enjoy him/her as much as you can! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It doesn't matter what your OH said TBH
    It does, or could do at least. The sale is formed when money changes hands, and the advertisement isn't part of that contract. If the terms were agreed by the "OK", and before money changed hands, then there's not much you can do with legal support.
    If you have the advert that says the puppy is chipped (What does that mean out of interest) then they haven't a leg to stand on
    Not true (for the same reasons)
    the avertising authority takes this kind of thing very very seriously.
    Oh no they don't. Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

This is a tough one! If you have the advert, then goods were not as described! (Sales and Services Act)

cgarvey wrote: »
    It does, or could do at least. The sale is formed when money changes hands, and the advertisement isn't part of that contract. If the terms were agreed by the "OK", and before money changed hands, then there's not much you can do with legal support.

Not true (for the same reasons)

Oh no they don't. Not at all.

Valuable point! If you said OK then not much you can do.

Just as an update. We never heard anything back. My partner said just leave it when he was going to say go half. We took the puppy today and go it micro and booster shots and he's well and big (13 kilos already). Vet just said you were taken and leave it at that. Sure we know now and we're not giving the puppy back for anything!

Mod - can you please close this post? Thanks a mil!

Advertisement