Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Hen Party

Options
  • 16-02-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello;)

Need sum help:rolleyes: Looking for a gud hotel to stay in galway for a hen weekend in june. Nothing to pricey (not 2 cheap) But dont know were to start.. Has any 1 gone to galway on a hen wkend?? How much did it cost?? Were thinking of flying to galway from dublin. Its only 54euro return at d moment. Im sure the train costs sumthing like that. Any way i would be grateful if sum one could let me know were 2stay,Eat drink and dance.. Thanxs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Hi. Was at a friends hen in Galway last year and stayed in the Raddisson. Middle of the range price but tbh you will find it really difficult to get a cheap hotel in Galway. Just a word of warning for you in regards to nightclubs. We were totally refused entry to Halo nightclub cause the head bouncer sussed we were a hen party. Nobody was even dressed up but he was so horrible and ignorant. We had a table reserved with champagne and everything inside and some of the girls were already in there. Nobody was drunk or anything so he had no reason other than he didn't want hen partys. Fair enough but nobody asked when we reserved it. Ruined our night to be honest and we just ended up in a late bar but wasn't the same without dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TotsD

Checked out that hotel der..God its very pricey.. 600 per room for 2nights:eek: The girls on the hen wont pay that.. Were going to Gran Canaria in aug for the wedding.
    If we do go 2galway we wont be going to that club.. Cant belive they did that. Did you complain when you got home??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yep, a couple of girls emailed the club but don't think anything came of it. They just said it was the doormen who set the policies or some crap like that. The funny thing is we were not dressed or rowdy so I don't know how he sussed us. I heard since that he just picks on certain people. Their loss cause we would have spent a fortune in the club.
    Yeah I suppose the Radisson not that cheap in June. You would prob get a better deal in Jurys near the Galway IT or else a hotel called Flannerys in Renmore. They are both a bit out of the city but ye could get a minivan in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I've had a girly weekend in Flannery's Hotel, I think we fitted 3 in each room and was reasonable enough with a good brekkie in the morning for soakage. It's a little outside the city but we walked into the city ourselves during the day and got a taxi when we were all dolled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Could try the harbour hotel - its central
    The Imperial is bang on eyre square
    there is Days/Flannerys in there in Renmore aswell
    Jurys down by the Spainish Arch

surely they should be looking at getting business at this stage

i was at one during the summer and we just booked apartments - salt lake aparments, they are down along loch atailia and it wasnt too expensive..cant remember exactly but had our own space and all. each apartment slept 6 or 7 i think so couple of them and you'd be sorted

hope this helps

• Advertisement

Should i leave it another few months to book it. The prices seem so high.
    They should drop..Shouldnt they??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

How much are you looking to spend? Any half-decent hotel is going to be costing you at least 80 a night if not (a lot) more. If you want to spend less than that, you'd need to be looking at hostels and B&Bs.

Anyway, here's a couple of links so you can have a look at a few different places and compare prices...

http://www.galwayhotelguide.com/
    http://ireland.hotels.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

OK, you've got the Radisson, the Meyrick, The G and the Park house hotel, which along with the Clayton, would be the more upmarket hotles in the city.

More budget would be Flannerys, The Huntsman, The Harbour, The House and Jurys. The Harbour, Jurys and The House are very central, the house is very funky indeed.

Out Salthill direction you have the Galway bay and the Salthill hotel, this had a major refurb recently and is looking great, they're great for serving late drink too.

Theres a lovely hotel in Barna called the Twelve but it's a bit out. you could alos consider the Westwood which is located more in a suburb and might be more reasonable at weekends.

Very budget in the centre of town would be the Skeff, the imperial and the vic.

There's also a Corutyard Marriott on the Headford road which does good deals and they have a lovely spa attached.

I hope this is in someway helpful. I live in the city, so feel free to pm me with any questions you might have, would be happy to answer them.

I would leave off booking for a bit things are very quite in Galway and give it a few months and you could haggle for a good deal!!!

:D;):):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

Heya, Ill second the harbour hotel has a nice restaurant there and a lovely beauty salon with spa treatments, only a 2 min walk from the square.

Another hotel is the Spanish Arch hotel which is in Quay Street just opposite the Quays bar, really in the middle of everything !

Halo has an absolute no no on hens and stags.. its just down to the custumes but every where else is pretty Hen friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

check out the house hotel- right in the centre of town & a boutique hotel. They do cocktails there too. You should definetely check out the G Hotel for the best cocktails in town & a real girlie experience. I wouldnt reccomend staying though as very dear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

Was at a hen weekend in Galway last October. We stayed in Jurys, three of us to a room and it's wasn't that expensive, I think about €150 each for the two nights. Breakfast is not included in the price.

For dinner, the Saturday night, we booked tables in the Skeff, very good service and they seemed well used to hens and big numbers. After the meal, we had a space reserved downstairs at the bar, they had a huge cocktail menu and there was music and great craic.

Afterwards, we all went into the nightclub, I think it was called Karma. The bouncer knew we were a hen party but let us in provided none of us were dressed up or wearing anything that resembled a plastic willy or flashing headband. The head bridesmaid had phoned ahead and reserved an area in the nightclub for us, it was roped off for the night and we had our own bouncer stopping the regular customers coming and going in and out.

Definitely, if you are going in a big group, try to plan the weekend and ring ahead to restaurants/clubs to make sure that they will cater for you. Nothing worse than twenty women standing outside being refused entry. :(

one more thing, I have booked Jurys for myself and OH for this week, Thursday and Friday night. Price is €164 for the two of us. Not too bad.

Think i'll wait another month and what the prices are. Dont mind payin 150 for two nights per person but the prices for june are crazy at the moment for sumwere nice. Is it just because its so far away or are the hotels in galway always that exspensve in summer time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I was in Galway for a hen night last year - we stayed in the Spanish arch hotel. I think it worked out around 80-90 pps for b&b. It was really central which was great as there were no taxis required that night. That was the middle of July. We had no problem getting into any of the bars and we were obviously a hen party ;) We went The House Hotel for dinner and it was fantastic and again they had no problem with us being a hen party.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭LoopyL

What weekend in June are ye thinking of coming? The Volvo Ocean Race is on in Galway for 2 weeks(23 may-6 June i think) and although some hotel's have agreed not to up the price for volvo a lot will be i think only 6/7 have actually signed a contract saying that they wont up their prices so that could be why your finding the prices so high

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Depends how cheap you want to go, and if you mind getting taxis home
    There's a cheap hotel near us (and you can bargain them lower too!) has a bar and if it's just a place to stay well...

http://www.hanleyoaks.com/hotel_galway_hotels_rates.htm

About 8 quid in a taxi from town or 20 mins walk.

Clybaun hotel is about 80 a room in June if you shop around. Has a bar/restaurant/spa/gym too, about a tenner in a taxi I think, from town.

House hotel is lovely, central. Dunno if it is as cheap as Jury's tho!

There's a few on Eyre Sq uptown too like the Park hotel, that often have specials and are (loud, but) central.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

i think your going to be forking out a bit for any accomodation at that time of year.

Other city centre hotels are Park House Hotel, Forster Court Hotel, and The Victoria Hotel. All less than a minute from Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I'm actually trying to organise a hen in Galway as well but for August. I think the best thing is to try and get a few apartments - Corrib Village is supposed to be cheap during the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭biscuits1981

surprising nobody has said the warwick hotel in salthill great spot and also has a nightclub in the hotel so all u have to do is fall up the stairs and ur in bed great club on a sat night live band in one side and disco in other,and its not to dear as well check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Forgot about the Warwick. And lads, I had friends of family stay at Hanley Oaks about a year ago, and they actually liked it. They said the rooms were clean and the 'fry' was great. The bar had a few characters (one well known property 'mogul' drinks there!) and were well on, but that was it.

The best part though, and this might put the OP off, but the keyring was a bit of 2 x 4 with the hotel name written in sharpie!

Hell, it would be an adventure!

House or the Warwick! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

You've mentioned that you are thinking of flying to Galway from Dublin. Aer Arann are doing a sale at the moment where it is €10 each way on internal flights so that could knock a bit of money off the flights and ye could put it towards the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't send the OP there!!!!
    Care to explain why? Own experiences? Hearsay?
    If you post stuff that potentially could get boards into trouble, at least have some backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Hanley Oaks
    Don't send the OP there!!!!

I had friends stay there as well, hotel was fine, clean rooms, decent breakfast. All we wanted was somewhere to sleep, not as if were going to be spending any time there. As another poster said a few characters in the bar, what more do you want from a hen weekend hotel??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I've priced apartments with Corib Village and it's working out at 280 for a 4 bedroom apartment (fits 6 people) for 3 nights. they don't take bookings for 2 nights but it's still pretty cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Travelodge is a fiver or so in a taxi to town.

You'll want to use that taxi as the hotel has the charm & facilities of a piece of lettuce. But it's fairly new, fresh & clean and very well priced.

http://www.travelodge.ie/hotel_locations/galway_travelodge_hotel.474.5.10172.details.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

LorraineL wrote: »
    Was at a hen weekend in Galway last October. We stayed in Jurys, three of us to a room and it's wasn't that expensive, I think about €150 each for the two nights. Breakfast is not included in the price.

For dinner, the Saturday night, we booked tables in the Skeff, very good service and they seemed well used to hens and big numbers. After the meal, we had a space reserved downstairs at the bar, they had a huge cocktail menu and there was music and great craic.

Afterwards, we all went into the nightclub, I think it was called Karma. The bouncer knew we were a hen party but let us in provided none of us were dressed up or wearing anything that resembled a plastic willy or flashing headband. The head bridesmaid had phoned ahead and reserved an area in the nightclub for us, it was roped off for the night and we had our own bouncer stopping the regular customers coming and going in and out.

Definitely, if you are going in a big group, try to plan the weekend and ring ahead to restaurants/clubs to make sure that they will cater for you. Nothing worse than twenty women standing outside being refused entry. :(

one more thing, I have booked Jurys for myself and OH for this week, Thursday and Friday night. Price is €164 for the two of us. Not too bad.
    Hey,

I just booked Jurys myself for the weekend before Paddies day. How did you find the hotel? Obviously not too bad if you're going back but I couldnt find pics of the rooms.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cL0h

biko wrote: »
    Care to explain why? Own experiences? Hearsay?
    If you post stuff that potentially could get boards into trouble, at least have some backup.

How could that get boards into trouble? Isn't it the opinion of one poster? Don't people do this on sites like tripadvisor all the time?

Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Posts like "Don't use this hotel/restaurant/garage - you'll regret it" are bad as they are not based on anything factual (there are no own experiences nor details).

Generally, positive experiences don't need backup but if you want to warn posters about an establishment you need to be able to back up what you say, otherwise it's defamation.

I'm not a solicitor so I'd rather ask the poster to remove the post than having a business take action against boards.ie. This has happened before.

As you say, there are plenty of review sites out there if people want a review of a certain establishment.

Hope this makes sense :)

Btw, boards is a privately owned site and does not have free speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

Jesjes wrote: »
    Hey,

I just booked Jurys myself for the weekend before Paddies day. How did you find the hotel? Obviously not too bad if you're going back but I couldnt find pics of the rooms.

Thanks!

The rooms are grand, standard hotel rooms, double and single bed in the room. Nice bar downstairs that serves food during the day. The location is good too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Great, thanks for getting back to me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement