Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo and Environs Draft Development Plan 2010 - 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I read it already, its interesting reading, but well done for providing the link for others

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Does it address any of your concerns going forward Jimmmy?

Admittedly i'm only interested from a transport point of view to be honest.
    Seems quite comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Thought this was interesting while reading through it:

General City Centre policies

It is the policy of Sligo Borough Council to:

GP-CC-1 Ensure a vibrant mix of retail, service uses, employment
    uses, community and cultural facilities, natural features and civic buildings in the city centre.
    GP-CC-2 Improve the vitality of the city centre by encouraging a mix of upper-floor uses such as generously-sized apartments over shops.
    GP-CC-3 Encourage activities that enliven the evening economy,
    including culture and entertainment uses as well as late-night shopping.
    GP-CC-4 Discourage the provision of on-street car parking for new developments.
    GP-CC-5 Restrict further introduction of fast-food outlets and betting shops in the commercial core and historic south-east area.
    GP-CC-6 Restrict further introduction of bars/night clubs in the areas of O’Connell Street and John Street.
    GP-CC-7 Ensure that refurbishment and redevelopment proposals
    contribute to the environmental quality and are in keeping with the character of the city centre.
    GP-CC-8 Restrict the provision of amusement arcades on the ground-floor frontage of city centre streets.
    GP-CC-9 Prevent the proliferation of take-away outlets in any particular area within the city centre.
    GP-CC-10 Encourage the retention and use of residential accommodation
    on the upper floors of city centre properties.
    GP-CC-11 Promote the development of brownfield sites and the consolidation of the city centre.
    GP-CC-12 Promote the installation of high-quality signage/shopfronts
    on commercial properties within the city centre.

Re the one in bold!!
    What bars on John Street? There is one so-called bar!

And as for O'Connell street... McGarrigles, Hargadon's, The Irish house & the other little place (name escapes me. Down the alley there)
    Not exactly overrun by pubs & clubs.

Something should be done about the vacant Canavans pub...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think they meant the environs.

I would wager that they are trying to discourage the congregating masses on the corner of John Street and O'Connell Street.

Its not bad, but talk is cheap. Paper does not refuse ink. They need to follow through on actions. For example, before the Tiger even reached its peak, we were told Sligo was given "Gateway city " status and development would be concentrated in Sligo. Instead what did we get ? Businesses moving out to Collooney and other areas miles away. If you wanted a tin of paint or the kettle you bought was faulty, you did'nt have to travel miles. Then people moved out to Coolooney and Coolaney because those areas got tax incentive status ...I know people who moved out there, away from family + friends, who hate it, regret it , are in negative equity and have to travel many miles to get to work, to go to the pictures, to get to decent shops + nightlife etc.

To give another example, the Borough Council say they want to "Discourage the provision of on-street car parking for new developments."
    If a developer builds a Development without car parking spaces they have to pay huge levies to the Bourough Council for them to provide the car parking spaces....in the past this has happened and the Borough Council has seemingly not provided the spaces....not yet anyway.

Another thing they want to do is allow multi rise monstrosities in the countryside at Carraroe and Shannon Eighter, to "welcome" people to Sligo. Thats not what Sligo is about. Climb Knocknarea ( as I often have done ) and survey the scene and previous natural beauty, and you will see what I mean. Ask any foreigner eg a German what they think of developments in places like Strandhill and North Sligo and they will tell you we should have appreciated our environment and great natural beauty more, but its not too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

jimmmy wrote: »
    Its not bad, but talk is cheap. Paper does not refuse ink. They need to follow through on actions. For example, before the Tiger even reached its peak, we were told Sligo was given "Gateway city " status and development would be concentrated in Sligo. Instead what did we get ? Businesses moving out to Collooney and other areas miles away. If you wanted a tin of paint or the kettle you bought was faulty, you did'nt have to travel miles. Then people moved out to Coolooney and Coolaney because those areas got tax incentive status ...I know people who moved out there, away from family + friends, who hate it, regret it , are in negative equity and have to travel many miles to get to work, to go to the pictures, to get to decent shops + nightlife etc.

To give another example, the Borough Council say they want to "Discourage the provision of on-street car parking for new developments."
    If a developer builds a Development without car parking spaces they have to pay huge levies to the Bourough Council for them to provide the car parking spaces....in the past this has happened and the Borough Council has seemingly not provided the spaces....not yet anyway.

Another thing they want to do is allow multi rise monstrosities in the countryside at Carraroe and Shannon Eighter, to "welcome" people to Sligo. Thats not what Sligo is about. Climb Knocknarea ( as I often have done ) and survey the scene and previous natural beauty, and you will see what I mean. Ask any foreigner eg a German what they think of developments in places like Strandhill and North Sligo and they will tell you we should have appreciated our environment and great natural beauty more, but its not too late.

I do agree. Sligo and Leitrim are beautifull. The senery is magical. I think there is huge potential for toerism here, specially now with the recession. People are likely to stay in their own country for holidays. A bit more infrastructure (specially Leitrim) and it's perfect. All Dutch and Scottish people we have over think so and always fall in love with this part of Ireland.The recession is a good change to get some business back to the north west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

How does one go about an effective response to the Development Plan in particular when it comes to projected environmental damage? So in relation to the Eastern By pass bridge and the Cairns Hill development, will there be a co-ordinated response as far as a submission goes re the development plan? From the Eastern by pass thread there was talk that there may be some of some form of local alliances to lobby against these proposals.
    (Isnt there still a possiblilty that the bridge idea has not yet fallen.)

Out of curiosity does anyone know if An taisce conduct an environmental impact survey on the plan? Do they then put forward a submission. Is this one route?
    Otherwise is it the case that it is best to make individual submissions or lobby ones local representatatives. Ideas welcome.

I do agree.
    Thank you !

tuppence wrote: »
    Out of curiosity does anyone know if An taisce conduct an environmental impact survey on the plan? Do they then put forward a submission.

I do not know.

Otherwise is it the case that it is best to make individual submissions or lobby ones local representatatives. Ideas welcome.
    No harm to do both if you have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

How does one go about an effective response to the Development Plan in particular when it comes to projected environmental damage? So in relation to the Eastern By pass bridge and the Cairns Hill development, will there be a co-ordinated response as far as a submission goes re the development plan? From the Eastern by pass thread there was talk that there may be some of some form of local alliances to lobby against these proposals.
    (Isnt there still a possiblilty that the bridge idea has not yet fallen.)

Out of curiosity does anyone know if An taisce conduct an environmental impact survey on the plan? Do they then put forward a submission. Is this one route?

The details on how to make a submission are on the web site about half way down the page. http://www.sligococo.ie/sedp/

You can make submissions in writing and lobbying your local officials would be even better as they have to vote on it. You may be wasting your breath asking a FF councilor to vote against any builder driven development (is there another kind).

The most recent application for development on Cairns Hill was refused by Sligo Co. Co. and objected to by Dept of Environment which in my mind puts the whole transport objective for a road through there into doubt.. the difficulty is making the Co. Co. see it that way... An ongoing study by Dept of Environment into the long term management of Carrowmore, Knocknarae and Cairns Hill will be taken into account in the SEDP, this is due in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

GG66 wrote: »
    The details on how to make a submission are on the web site about half way down the page. http://www.sligococo.ie/sedp/

You can make submissions in writing and lobbying your local officials would be even better as they have to vote on it. You may be wasting your breath asking a FF councilor to vote against any builder driven development (is there another kind).

The most recent application for development on Cairns Hill was refused by Sligo Co. Co. and objected to by Dept of Environment which in my mind puts the whole transport objective for a road through there into doubt.. the difficulty is making the Co. Co. see it that way... An ongoing study by Dept of Environment into the long term management of Carrowmore, Knocknarae and Cairns Hill will be taken into account in the SEDP, this is due in the next few months.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. So just in case I am being a bit of a "doh" here, theres no template there, you just put forward your response in writing under the heading?
    Suppose in relation to people wanting to express their solidarity against certain developments and maybe being short of time, are you aware do they for example accept petitions. For example if any of the lobby groups (or even an Taisce)that were mentioned are drafting a submission that people could sign? I am sure that writing in individually is no doubt the best (as well as lobbying ones councillor ) but just in the event of people being short of time/ these documents dont tend to be the most user friendly for people thralling through them either. Its over 100 pages long. :rolleyes: (A synopsis/analysis by relevant local agencies would be of benefit. )

Re the Cairns Hill development-this is good to know. The report would also make good reading, if you could give us the heads up on it that would be very useful. :)

Advertisement