Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Servants on Less than 60K!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Anybody see the Impact union rep on Saturday stating that ""despite the public perception most civil servants aren't well paid and are on less than €60K"".

That to me shows the bubble they are living in when they think a salary of 60K is not well paid.

im a lowly civil servant and holy mother how i wish i was getting a salary of €60k's!!

Jesus nothing even close to that! there are quite a lot of us who are only on €30 odd thousand..and im not going to complain,im damn glad to be getting it! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

dvpower wrote: »
    In the Civil Service in particular, as far as I know, you can join as a CO, an EO or an AO (or some equivilent). When you join, you can only get in at the bottom of the payscale. If you have 10 years equivilent private sector experience, you cannot join at point 10 on the scale.

The wider public sector might be a different kettle of fish; can a PC with 10 years in the Met join the Guards half way up the scale?; can a lecturer in a private college become a teacher half way up the scale?

Direct entry also comes up at HEO (50k), APO (70k), PO (90k), AS (120+) levels - apply for the job that is relevent to your experience. If you were a private sector manager then you wouldn't apply for a filing clerk role in a different firm.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Prison guards don't face danger when's the last time one of them got knife in the stomach or a can of petrol thrown over him.

are you kidding? it's one of the most dangerous jobs going, regular attacks, threats on family etc etc. How on earth could anyone think they don't face danger?

Just one of the many many similar reports

https://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/oct/19/prison-officers-clock-up-60-years-of-sick-days/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes sick days - another weak point for the typical civil servant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭seangal

kmick wrote: »
    Yes sick days - another weak point for the typical civil servant.
    idiot
    do private sector workers thing they are god or something and never get sick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

seangal wrote: »
    idiot
    do private sector workers thing they are god or something and never get sick
    I think he's referring to stats that showed the average civil servant took more sick days than the average private sector worker.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ixoy wrote: »
    I think he's referring to stats that showed the average civil servant took more sick days than the average private sector worker.

did those stats not show that that average civil servant took no more sick days than the average private sector worker in a large company? I definitely remember some depts were well below private sector sick days

I thought the public service had more on average but that it was HSE, teachers and gardai who had high numbers? I haven't got the stats, but remember them reported recently enough, papers didn't take much interest in them if I remember.

edit - found this:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/absenteeism-rates-across-the-public-sector-1587718.html
    Absenteeism rates across the public sector

Tuesday December 30 2008

Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs: 3.51pc

Justice: 4.07pc

Finance: 2.52pc

Agriculture: 4.74pc

Arts, Sports and Tourism: 4.35pc

Communications, Energy and Natural Resources: n/a

Defence: 4.8pc

Education & Science: 5.35pc

Enterprise, Trade and Employment: 3.9pc

Environment: 5pc

Foreign Affairs: 5.62pc

Health: 5.84pc

Social and Family Affairs: 7.14pc

Transport: 4pc

Taoiseach: 2.62pc

Primary Teachers: 4.6pc

Secondary Teachers: 6.3pc

Gardai: 4.32pc

HSE: 5.52pc

FAS: 4.45pc

Failte Ireland: 2.16pc

CSO: 5.36pc

Revenue: 4.6pc

Courts: 3.44pc

Prison Service: 21.64 days -- rate not provided

RTE: 2.42pc

The average private sector rate is 3.5% so most of the above are in fact higher as reported in the linking story
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/workers-in-public-sector-take-more-sick-days-1587716.html

However this 3.5% includes all the very small firms were sick days are small for obvious reasons. I believe the
    average private sector rate in large firms which would actually be a fair comparison is a bit higher.

edit again - sorry for the fact explosion but found the SFA report:
    http://www.sfa.ie/Sectors/SFA/SFA.nsf/vPages/Press_Centre~sfa-absenteeism-report-02-06-2008?OpenDocument

According this average rate in large private sector firms is 4.6%, places like call centres have over 6%.

For me this means that absenteeism is no worse in comparable public sector and publice sector organisations.

Advertisement