Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem Access

Options
  • 16-02-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just a quick question. I'm going to be out of the country for a few weeks and i'm wondering if it's possible to access my modem so that i can stream RTE live as some of the programmes won't show outside Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that you wish to take control of your home PC to allow you access to the Irish IP of your router.

Are you sure that RTE dont allow access to the website from other countries. I didnt know RTE had this in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

Hi JonathonAnon

Yes the can only broadcast things like matches within the island of ireland. I guess what i'm asking is to whether it's possible for me to view these matches outside of ireland by logging into my modem or PC if i'm in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

www.logmein.com or using some other sort of desktop control software.
    A very roundabout way of doing it, and the upload speed on your home broadband would more than likely choke the connection, plus the colours will be limited, making it useless.

You could look for a proxy that gives you an Irish based IP address. Don't know if any exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you could do it by setting up a squid proxy on your PC at home and using that as the default proxy for your browser wherever you happen to be. The other option would be a tv streaming app if you have a tv card for your pc. There's a few decent free apps around that work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭netvista

hi vibe

is the squid proxy easy to set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

still limited by your home UPLOAD speed.

Also make sure 1/2 the world can't access your PC / proxy or your cap is gone in a few days and you will not get access yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

netvista wrote: »
    hi vibe

is the squid proxy easy to set up?
    in a word (well 3), no not really. :)

as watty said, it's not necessarily difficult to get working, although that depends on you experience, but to get it working without exposing yourself to the world could be if you don't know what you're doing and that's the problem with it.

it's like expensive stuff with no prices on, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. only this time, if you have to ask, then it's too complicated.

i was trying to think of the streaming app i used to use and it just hit me.

it's called orb and rather predictably can be found at http://www.orb.com/.

you'll need to have a tv card inside your PC (or usb tv dongle outside it) to connect your tv signal to your computer but if you can do that and watch tv on your PC, orb is all you need to enable you to stream that tv signal to you wherever you are across the internet and it is as simple to set up as installing the app and registering a free account online.

that said, there's some cost involved in buying the tv dongle, but you might get some use out of it other than that, you can also use to to record tv straight onto your PC too for future use and also stream it later via orb, not to mention your divx's and mp3's.

it's not perfect, but it will recode the video to make the best use of your available (however limited) bandwidth to try and keep the video flowing smoothly.

OR you can see if you can find an existing irish based web proxy that you can use to fool rte into thinking you're connecting from ireland.

Advertisement