Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment insulation

Options
  • 16-02-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

good day folks, can anyone tell me if there is a requirment to insulate the roof space in a top floor apartment? i have a suspended cieling and there is nothing in the space above, should it have been done at time of building? can it be insulated now?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes and yes - it should have been done, but can be done at any stage.

A good amount of heat is lost that way, so insulation should save you money, in the long run.

But, the builder should have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

thanks, Paul, is there any point in approaching the developer, the place is fairly new, i'm the first owner, and should this have been caught in the snag list?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

is there insulation in your suspended ceiling?

no, hanging plasterboard with the next thing being concrete between 6 and 24 inches above.

ah well then yes it should have been snagged, get on to the developer/management co. and check with neighbours to see if they are missing their insulation too.
    It can be put in now no problem, just send someone up into attic space and fit it as required.

• Advertisement

thanks sickle, i know there's none anywhere else. there is no attic space as such, just a few access panels to wiring looms, i think the only way to remedy is to blow something like poly-beads into the space which would involve cutting holes in the slab. just wondering if i should kick up a stink with the developer, esp in these times of energy retention!

I'll assume its a flat roof then (concrete slab) its possibly insulted above the slab, best to ask the developer i think.
    It could be insulated as per this link (warm roof at bottom of page).http://www.imperroof.co.uk/typical_details.asp

yeah, flat roof, the place just seems to be difficult to heat, thanks for the advice sickle, i'll give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ljungberg69

good day folks, can anyone tell me if there is a requirment to insulate the roof space in a top floor apartment? i have a suspended cieling and there is nothing in the space above, should it have been done at time of building? can it be insulated now?

cheers.

Im in top floor apartment with flat roof.
    Ceiling is chalkboard suspended from Fireboarding above it. Gap it about 6 inches. Above fireboard is empty ventilated space. Above that im not sure.

I am planning on taking the legal route to make the developer insulate the space between our ceiling at the fireboard as this is where the insulation should be to keep the heat inside each apartment..

Can i ask who your developer is? Maybe its the same developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I am planning on taking the legal route to make the developer insulate the space between our ceiling at the fireboard as this is where the insulation should be to keep the heat inside each apartment..

I doubt there is any legal recourse for this. I don't know of any legal requirement nor planning requirement to install insulation ... although I could be wrong.

You could have an interesting fight and it should be interesting to hear about. Keep us updated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement