Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cement Board

• 16-02-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Would appreciate some views on this...I see a mention in some previous threads but no definitive opinions

For the 1st floor of my build, I will be putting in the usual stud walls etc as room dividers…What I wondered was would it be more beneficial to use a Cement Board/Hydro panel type product instead of Gypsum board for the internal side of all bathrooms or ensuites?

What advantages does it offer over the ordinary board and if used also as the ceiling in such rooms also, does it reduce chances of unsightly mildew etc etc forming?

I know it is dearer but is it by much?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Definately should use either moisture resistant plasterboard or cement board. Cement board is about the same price as blockwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hi all,

Would appreciate some views on this...I see a mention in some previous threads but no definitive opinions

For the 1st floor of my build, I will be putting in the usual stud walls etc as room dividers…What I wondered was would it be more beneficial to use a Cement Board/Hydro panel type product instead of Gypsum board for the internal side of all bathrooms or ensuites?

What advantages does it offer over the ordinary board and if used also as the ceiling in such rooms also, does it reduce chances of unsightly mildew etc etc forming?

I know it is dearer but is it by much?

Thanks for any help!

Mould is a product of low temps and poor ventilation and will grow anywhere where the conditions are right. The substrate material is largely irrelevant.

One could argue that CB, being colder than PB, would promote it more.

I would use wpb, sealed with polybond and use a good quality silicone in the vertical corners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I have tanked 2 rooms with cement board. From experience:-
    • It is a very good surface to tank, (seal / waterproof)
    • its is good surface to receive tiles,
    • it is heavy so it adds sound proofing properties,
    • its cement is ideal for under floor heating for tiles - as it holds heat longer than other materials.
    I'd recommend it in bathrooms or wetrooms.

• Advertisement
Advertisement